Why do sports commentators think it's fine to shout?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 11:54 am

It's unbearable... most of the time I couldn't care less about sports but even if I happen to listen to a bit of the latest scandal or drama suddenly MY EARS ARE BUST! ...And somehow it's all normal afterwards, as if somehow nothing of note happened.

If someone goes outside and shouts like that won't people normally wonder whether they've lost it? So why is it perfectly normal for an entire career to do that without anyone caring? I keep complaining to radio stations but no one cares obviously, even when seconds before they're having a perfectly calm discussion suddenly someone could burst out shouting. Unequivocally the thing I hate most about any public media.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 11:59 am

It is part of the sports "culture". For most sports athletes shout, fans shout.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Sep 2016, 12:19 pm

Brings excitement to the game for those emotionally invested in it, you'd have to like sports to understand I guess. Monotonous would be pretty boring and worse yet are the yakking non-attentive commentators who barely react to what is happening on the field/court/whatever. Maybe the issue is that you're probably watching soccer/futbol where scoring is so rare with no real breaks except halftime, hard to stay excited watching guys putt a ball around to each other for like 45 minutes in between anything interesting happening so you have those moments of excitement followed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

Being a sports fan/ having played sports (soccer) it's basically excitement. Most announcers are passionate and when something exciting for them happens, they express it by shouting

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 1:15 pm

Most of the time it's on radio I encounter it, which isn't a visual medium so if someone says "how unbelievable that is" it's useless whether it's shouted or not. Point is the shouting itself, perhaps it's normal if it's on TV and the person actually wants that, but they often put on shouting straight after economics on the radio... shouting generally is stupid though and regardless of the shouter's enthusiasm there is no way anyone else will feel a fraction of that (unless you've spent hours watching some match, of course) since the first thing any normal person would wonder while someone is shouting is "is there danger? is something wrong?" - no way would out of context shouting ever be interpreted as something positive.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 5:55 pm

I agree. A lot of preachers will also waver between calm and shouting and I dislike that style. I was told the calm portions were to make people listen closer and the shouting was to wake them up (as well as create emotional impact). High volume succeeds only in irritating me, so apparently we're both immune to the intended response.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 5:57 pm

I don't like shouting merely for the sake of shouting. It drives me up the wall.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm

Because they think if they shout, their inane commentary will seem more intelligent.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Sep 2016, 6:16 pm

Not a lot of sport fans here it seems...

I would post one of my favorite radio calls ever to illustrate my feelings on this subject but i don't want to trigger anybody :P

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:20 pm

^I admit, I'm not much of a sports fan. But free to post what you like. I'm not easily triggered.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:24 pm

They're trying to make the game seem exciting. I guess their overemotional expression fills NTs with passion. In the UK, I noticed that cricket commentators were a lot calmer about things. So were sheep-dog trial commentators. I much prefer those commentators. I can tolerate genuine cries for help (such as a person about to drown) and some types of loud singing, but I can't tolerate many other kinds of shouting.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:30 pm

You never hear sports commentators shouting too much at golf tournaments. That's the one time I might welcome some high-decibel commentary, since golf is boring enough to put you into a mini coma.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:35 pm

I like it when they have reasonable discussions on sports panel shows.

Golf puts me to sleep---but in a good way. It was sort of a "special interest" maybe 15 years ago.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

Yes, I have sensory issues with hearing.

That said,
I absolutely love
going to a Buffalo Bills football game
and yelling my head off
cheering for the team. :D

(Though I haven't had the pleasure for years now.)

And the surrounding shouts of fellow fans is wonderfully thrilling.

And I understand about the announcers getting excited.
If you're a fan of the sport, a fan of the team,
a fan of seeing an excellent play ...
it's pretty cool.

For those who don't get into it,
I can see how it can have the
opposite effect.

Last edited by the_phoenix on 09 Sep 2016, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:40 pm

Golf is like bowling: A fun activity, but not terribly exciting to watch.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:41 pm

I believe you're my kind of girl! LOL

I haven't gone to a football game in years--but I'm a pretty decent Jets fan.

It's a real bummer that OJ Simpson was a great running back for the Bills during the early 70s. I used to like him even when he went to USC.

As for bowling, I used to watch the Professional Bowlers' Tour religiously when I was a kid. Man, I loved it!