Anyone here who have never lived on there own?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

im autistic and 36 yrs old and never have ive never lived away from my mom, its me and her, my dad died of cancer when i was 4 years old, ive always been scared to live by myself , anyone else here my age never lived alone?

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2016, 12:58 pm

I lived in the family home with my parents until they died. My elder sister continued to live in the same house too, she died earlier this year. I still live in the same house but I now live alone. Death is part of life, it's inevitable, and if you don't die first then you'll outlive your parents and have to live alone.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 1:01 pm

Still living with my family currently, but I plan on getting my own place eventually.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 1:17 pm

I finally moved out this year, but I would be lying if I said the transition was easy. Though she's suffers from erratic mood swings and can be somewhat choleric in nature, my mother was someone who I could talk to and I miss her cooking, too. Now I share a property with two self-piteous middle-aged men, who both have mental health problems. It's akin to residing in a care home. :(

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 1:43 pm

I wouldn't want to live alone. I like the feeling of living somewhere knowing someone else is sharing it with me, even if I'm there alone a lot.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

I've always lived with my parents and I'm 21. To be fair, I am going to school so it would be very expensive to live on my own (especially considering my city is extremely expensive, though suburbs are a bit better). Sometimes, I get jealous of people who move out as soon as they turn 18 or graduate high school. I have a cousin who is planning on living with her best friend when she graduates next year. Mind you, she isn't going to go to college, but I still feel kind of jealous. She also prides herself on being fairly independent for her age (17), and feel like I'm less independent than most people my age.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm

I've never lived alone, I've only been away from home for a few days or home alone for a few days. It's far preferable for a number of reasons. Less expensive, shared chores, being around loved ones, never lonely, and for me at least, after my dog died, I have a real hard time sleeping soundly when I'm alone. Every sound will jerk me awake. While I know that realistically their presence isn't likely to prevent anything bad (like burglary) happening, just them being there makes me feel safe and prevent me from fearing such things.
I would never pick living in a group home (heaven forbid!!) or collective over living alone though. No way I wanna live with strangers or people I'm not extremely close with. That wouldn't be home.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 2:47 am

The average age of moving out of your parents house is actually 25.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2016, 6:57 am

I didn't choose to live alone, everbody else has either moved out of the family home or dropped dead. So unless I start inviting total strangers to come and live with me I'm stuck with living alone. Living alone is not a problem.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2016, 7:54 am

I've lived with my partner for around 15 years. Always thought of it as 'living independently' as technically, that's what it is...but in reality, I'm not. He takes care of a lot of things I can't even think to address. Things like bills, rent etc just become a total mush in my brain and I'd rather not think about it as it's too stressful. I tried living on my own when I moved overseas, but it ended up being a disaster and had to move back.

I do the cooking and cleaning...he does the bills.

Our house is a tip and we live on microwave meals and takeaway but at least we're financially ok.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 12:22 pm

I moved out when I was 32. The average age is just that. It doesn't make a late bloomer a loser.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 2:49 pm

I tried living on my own when I went to uni but I couldn't handle it; I just shutdown and didn't eat, sleep, talk to anybody, leave my room... When I finish my degree I will give it another try, and this time I will be smarter about it (i.e. really get myself mentally prepared so I don't have a meltdown). For what it's worth though I think the average age is kind of irrelevant. People have their own situations and if you don't judge yourself for it then nobody else can judge you. Plus most of the (NT) people I know around my age still live at home, because getting your own place is expensive.

legalcharaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2016, 2:59 pm

I just moved into a house.
I walk around often looking at my boxes, inside my boxes, inside my box within a box of boxes, and wonder how this game of filling boxes is what people want life to be.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

Until I find myself proper employment, I will be stuck living with my family.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 9:09 pm

I've never lived alone.

I was 18 when I stopped living with my parents, but I've never lived alone.

Rather, I went from living with my mom and dad to living with a college roomie to living with my first husband back to living with my mom when I got divorced to living with NThubby.

NThubby is 12 years older than me and not in top health condition.
The idea of being widowed and living alone thereafter worries me sometimes.

Other times (as a socially awkward introvert) I wish wish wish wish wish I lived alone. But not for long. He's gone away for several days or a few weeks at a time, and it doesn't take long before I'm wishing he were home.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 9:24 pm

Yep, I share a home with my mom too (well, she shares the house). Lived in a different state with aunt & uncle for a while when I was younger, but never on my own. Someday I'd like to give it a try, but for now it makes things a lot less stressful.