Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 9:04 pm

My parents believe you can't just do one thing at a time. I was practicing a customer service phone job (just to try it out) and it had me clicking this while typing what the "fake" person said. clicking through tabs all at the same time! It was head spinning!! !!

So IMO customer service rep work at home job isn't for me it seems. :-(

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm

Executive dysfunction, amiright? :wink:

I'm the same way. I can't walk and text at the same time, I always have to stop to text or navigate through my phone. I also had a job as a cashier at a pizza place. Had to manage incoming customers, leaving customers, and phone calls all at once. When it got super busy I sometimes would shut down, and when I made mistakes my manager would yell and point out the mistakes in front of customers. It was awful, and I obviously quit after that.

Aspies are best at focusing intensely on one thing at a time, and excelling greatly at the one thing that they are passionate about :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 2:26 am

Multitasking is a curse, not autism :D

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm

Multitasking is impossible for me. I'm lucky I don't have a job where I have to multitask.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 12:43 pm

Multitasking is impossible for me. I'm lucky I don't have a job where I have to multitask.

tanq

13 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm

My failure at multitasking led to my autism diagnosis several years ago. My regular job is doing computer programming and data analysis projects. I was placed in a temporary position for a year where I had to manage the design and construction of some pavement test sections, oversee contracting, quality control, and coordinate all personnel involved in the project. I was failing terribly and the resulting anxiety led me to seek help from a psychologist who diagnosed me with ASD. Thankfully, I am back at my regular job. My supervisor keeps my tasks flowing one at a time.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

Oh, yes, yes, VERY common for us Aspies to struggle with multi-tasking! My inability to multi-task well cost me a couple of jobs in earlier adulthood. :( The fact that women generally multi-task better than men makes this even more frustrating for us Aspie females, because society expects us to be good at this thing, and most of us aren't. *fuming*

I could rant a lot about this...ugh. So frustrating...