Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

boeing.angrybird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Sep 2016, 8:15 am

What are some objects or techniques you use for stimming and sensory input?
I have some small fidgits (especially squishy and twisty objects) that I like to use, and those help me stay calm in social situations. I definitely seek deep pressure- sometimes I will have my friend lay on top of me. Lately, I have been throwing my body against a wall or the floor to seek that pressure. I know that is not the safest thing to do be doing though and am hoping to find a safer alternative.
Thanks!

Loves: Airplanes, Angry Birds, Ancient Egypt and Weather Patterns

http://ab-myaspielife.blogspot.com/
Check out my blog!

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2016, 9:03 am

Pretty minor to be honest. I stim a lot, mostly with my fingers...drumming on the table, chairs, head (erm), anything...also wiggle my toes a lot..if I try to stop it...for example...I'll close my hand into a fist to stop it...my other hand will start doing it without me even knowing...if I fist up both hands...my toes start doing it...it's crazy. Also do it with pens, coins, tv remotes,

I do have some sensory things I do. I find myself re-listening to the same tune over and over again very loudly...for hours sometimes...or I'll find a snippet of the tune I like and, again, listen to it for ages...same with TV programmes...if I see a bit I like, I'll rewind it and play it again...again...and again...same with video games...If I find a bit I like...or have an emotional response to I like, I'll replay it...sometimes over and over...

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:02 am

In public, I've been known to bounce my leg.
In private, I will sometimes listen to the same song repeatedly, usually three times in a row is enough.
I will also pace back and forth across the room.

I've liked rocking since I was little, don't do it in public unless I'm in a rocking chair.
I used to rock in the back seat of the car when I was little ... until I got big enough that it started seeming like it was shaking the whole car ... at which point, I immediately stopped that habit at a word from my Dad.

Since I always had a wonderfully close relationship with my father, I respected his opinion.
He once saw me stimming at home and gently said, "If you do that in public, you won't have any friends."
So I immediately stopped the habit of that particular stim (don't even remember what it was).

AnonymouslyAutistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2016, 10:40 am

I like jobs where I can type because I like to keep my fingers moving. I also like to play piano... which feels a lot like stimming to me when I just improve it.

I shake my hands a lot and jump up and down when I am happy. I also have a wooden bracelet, a ring, and a stone necklace that I like to fiddle with. My stims are discrete BUT I am making an effort to stim more in public - because I think it is beneficial to my mental health and I repressed it for so long.

With love,
Anonymously Autistic
“Anna”

https://anonymouslyautistic.net/

CatLady53

09 Sep 2016, 2:24 pm

My latest is picking at a spot I have had for months, it is now a lump because I pick at it so much. Other than that I wiggle my toes and make circles and fidget with my feet, and I also bite the inside of my cheek. I also constantly pick at my scalp and my face but this is something I do in the privacy of my bedroom. I don't mind doing it in front of my spouse but I hide the face/scalp picking from other people.

Ysengrimus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2016, 7:40 pm

I fidget with a ball of sticky tack I carry with me everywhere (and periodically replace with fresher stuff)
Also with silly putty.
Sticky tack has been a favorite all my life.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2016, 6:40 pm

I like to feel rough and smooth textures with different parts of my hands, press my palm or fingers into pointy things and play with and touch certain things like nesting dolls, knight action figures. I rock and make vocalizations.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2016, 6:31 am

Here's a question. I pull at different hairs a lot. I get a number of small, stiff hairs that grow in various places...forehead...ears...chest etc...and I can't rest until I get them out...there is actually a feeling of relief when I eventually get them out...would that be classed as a stim?

I do it when concentrating...sometimes not even aware of it...wonder if that's why I'm bald :)