Obsessed with something I know can't happen

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2016, 12:09 pm

For the past three weeks I have become very enthusiastic about getting an assistance dog, I found a charity where I could get a dog and a friend for many years of my life to come. I approached my parent and they agree an assistance dog would be a huge help for me but they have decided we can't have another dog as we already have a two year old dog who suffers from ocd.
The problem isn't in their decision, I totally respect they have made their decision and I understand their reasoning however I can't let go!
Yes I have allowed myself time to be disappointed but it's like my mind refuses to accept it, I can't make myself realise it's not going to happen.
I can picture the dog, I imagine scenarios in which my parents were keeping it a secret and I was actually getting one, I imagine the things I would do with the dog, imagine all its first experiences.
I feel down every hour at least when I think about the dog I'm not getting.
I don't know how to get my mind away from this situation, how to let it sink in and let me move on.
I need help, please

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2016, 12:33 pm

I'm sorry you're disappointed and i understand how hard it is to let something go when it's been researched and scenarios have been imagined. But what about the two year old dog with ocd? I work with dogs and have a much greater affinity for them than i do people. I know a lot of behavioral issues in dogs stem from boredom and frustration. Perhaps you could help your current dog with its problems by giving it the job of assistance dog. It would take effort on your part, but here's a place you could channel all of your own frustrated interest and excitement.

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2016, 4:33 pm

singularity wrote:
I'm sorry you're disappointed and i understand how hard it is to let something go when it's been researched and scenarios have been imagined. But what about the two year old dog with ocd? I work with dogs and have a much greater affinity for them than i do people. I know a lot of behavioral issues in dogs stem from boredom and frustration. Perhaps you could help your current dog with its problems by giving it the job of assistance dog. It would take effort on your part, but here's a place you could channel all of your own frustrated interest and excitement.

Unfortunately our dog's OCD is genetic and several trainers have tried various techniques to help her- parents aren't prepared to take the risk of paying for training that won't work

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2016, 5:19 pm

If you and your family have given up on helping the first dog so quickly, it's probably the best decision NOT getting another dog.