Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 8:17 am

Is there such a thing as word stimming?

A word keeps on repeating over and over in my brain. Occasionally, I'll say it out loud. It's actually getting really old. It's sort of like having a song stuck in your head, but it's just one word - a long word. I've always been drawn to long words for some reason.

Have any of you experienced this?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,162
Location: Queens, NYC

02 Oct 2016, 8:20 am

I say "I am the Wolfman, indeed I am" repeatedly. And some other phrases.

This sort of thing is very characteristic of autism. It's probably related to echolalia in some way.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

Wow. I did not know that. With being diagnosed late, it's so interesting to learn about which of my behaviors are autistic ones.

By the way, the word is antidisestablishmentarianism.



Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 400

02 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

I often repeat several specific nonsense words, sometimes out loud and at other times inside my mind.


_________________
Gamsediog biptol ap simdeg Bimog, toto absolimoth dep nimtec gwarg. Am in litipol wedi memsodth tobetreg bim nib.

Somewhere completely different:


Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,162
Location: Queens, NYC

02 Oct 2016, 8:30 am

I used to try to spell that as a kid.

It's a pompous way of saying "Anti-Arianism."



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 8:41 am

I never used the word in conversation and haven't heard it in years. I don't know why it popped into my head and why it won't leave.



SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

02 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

Does anyone hear a sound or noise you like and feel compelled to replicate it eg. a clock chiming , animal noises , homer simpson quotes , movie quotes


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 400

02 Oct 2016, 8:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to try to spell that as a kid.

It's a pompous way of saying "Anti-Arianism."


Antidisestablishmentarianism is defined, depending on which online dictionary you use as...

Opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England.

Opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

Opposition to the disestablishment of a state religion (i.e., favoring the continued state support of a particular creed), esp.in regard to debates concerning the Church of England in the 19th century.

etc, etc.


_________________
Gamsediog biptol ap simdeg Bimog, toto absolimoth dep nimtec gwarg. Am in litipol wedi memsodth tobetreg bim nib.

Somewhere completely different:


Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 8:52 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Does anyone hear a sound or noise you like and feel compelled to replicate it eg. a clock chiming , animal noises , homer simpson quotes , movie quotes

Sometimes. It seems most often for me though that a movie quote or animal noise will pop into my head and then I'll replicate the sound or quote I'm hearing in my head.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,162
Location: Queens, NYC

02 Oct 2016, 8:54 am

Where do you think Arianism came from?

I've seen it spellee in two words.

Obviously, the dictionary definition makes sense, too.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 8:55 am

Jute wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to try to spell that as a kid.

It's a pompous way of saying "Anti-Arianism."


Antidisestablishmentarianism is defined, depending on which online dictionary you use as...

Opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England.

Opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

Opposition to the disestablishment of a state religion (i.e., favoring the continued state support of a particular creed), esp.in regard to debates concerning the Church of England in the 19th century.

etc, etc.

Thanks for the information.



SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

02 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Does anyone hear a sound or noise you like and feel compelled to replicate it eg. a clock chiming , animal noises , homer simpson quotes , movie quotes

Sometimes. It seems most often for me though that a movie quote or animal noise will pop into my head and then I'll replicate the sound or quote I'm hearing in my head.


There are certain films that if I watch them I cant get them out of my head and quote them for days and try use the quotes in everyday life e.g Monty Python films - get in someones way and say "None shall pass"


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 20 Jul 2016
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 339

02 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

All the time! I find that if I say it out loud, it helps get the word out of my head.


_________________
If I were a knight, my name would be Sir Stimsalot.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 9:14 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Does anyone hear a sound or noise you like and feel compelled to replicate it eg. a clock chiming , animal noises , homer simpson quotes , movie quotes

Sometimes. It seems most often for me though that a movie quote or animal noise will pop into my head and then I'll replicate the sound or quote I'm hearing in my head.


There are certain films that if I watch them I cant get them out of my head and quote them for days and try use the quotes in everyday life e.g Monty Python films - get in someones way and say "None shall pass"

"Neeh!"



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,353

02 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

The_Dark_Citadel wrote:
All the time! I find that if I say it out loud, it helps get the word out of my head.

That's not really working for me. I've said it aloud many times within the last few days and it still hasn't left.

It does sort of feel good to say it out loud though instead of just hearing it in my head.



Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2016
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 412
Location: UK

02 Oct 2016, 9:20 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Is there such a thing as word stimming?

A word keeps on repeating over and over in my brain. Occasionally, I'll say it out loud. It's actually getting really old. It's sort of like having a song stuck in your head, but it's just one word - a long word. I've always been drawn to long words for some reason.

Have any of you experienced this?


I have quotes from films I love which get stuck in my brain. They're not single words - just phrases...

"Apology accepted Captain Needa"
"That's no moon - it's a spacestation!"
"I am your Father"


_________________
"That's no moon - it's a spacestation."

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)