How do I tell my partner I don't like him going "ssshhh"?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:30 pm

TheForeverMan wrote:
Just tell him to STFU.

If he is not fond of that response, then why are you together?

Um, because if I was told to STFU I don't think I would be very fond of it either.

I don't do relationships the way internet advice always says, which is "if he doesn't like it, then he's not a very good boyfriend to begin with", because that's why so many relationships don't last these days. I'm sure he won't mind if I told him that it makes me feel annoyed when he shushes me, but I still feel awkward about it.

Last edited by Joe90 on 29 Sep 2016, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:32 pm

Where did he grow up?

On some isolated mountaintop where there was no sound? :)

Even if he didnt you could say "this is the big city", or "the suburbs"(whatever it is you live in), so we outdoor sounds all of the time. So deal with it!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:44 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't do relationships the way internet advice always says, which is "if he doesn't like it, then he's not a very good boyfriend to begin with", because that's why so many relationships don't last these days.

In other words, so many relationships don't last because people are freer than they used to be to refuse to take so much crap from a partner. I'd say good riddance.

Joe90 wrote:
I'm sure he won't mind if I told him that it makes me feel annoyed when he shushes me, but I still feel awkward about it.

You still have to choose one way or the other, and it'll be your responsibility and yours alone.

By the way, how would you like it if you found out your boyfriend is asking random strangers on the Internet what to do about a problem he has with you, rather than talking to you directly?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Where did he grow up?

On some isolated mountaintop where there was no sound? :)

Even if he didnt you could say "this is the big city", or "the suburbs"(whatever it is you live in), so we outdoor sounds all of the time. So deal with it!

He grew up in London, and has lived in another city here in Essex ever since. :)

I should tell him this quote Ade Edmundson from BBC's "Bottom" said in one of their episodes:-

'Well there's bound to be something out there, love. You can't expect the whole universe, and it's entire contents, to be confined within a small apartment!'

I altered the quote a bit, but I do love that quote. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:52 pm

Quote:
By the way, how would you like it if you found out your boyfriend is asking random strangers on the Internet what to do about a problem he has with you, rather than talking to you directly?

A lot of people go to internet forums for relationship advice.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

Then I hope you're not upset if a criminal stabs you one day, because a lot of criminals stab people all the time.

More seriously, though, I suspect those people aren't usually the ones in happy and long-lasting relationships. If I had a girlfriend, it'd piss me off if I couldn't trust her above anyone else and the last thing I'd want is to get others involved in our issues. If she rejected this ultimate mutual trust, she might as well not be my girlfriend at all.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 3:15 pm

Joe90 wrote:
He doesn't shush everybody else, I just mean that I don't think anyone else gets as upset as I do when shushed. I remember kids shushing each other when I was a kid, but that was usually due to either hiding from each other, doing a prank, or doing something they know they shouldn't so not wanting adults to hear them doing it. But as an adult I don't expect to be shushed as much, by other adults, unless it's for a good reason.

But I am not breaking up with him over something like that.

I think generally people find it rude when someone shushes them and would be upset about it. I mean I could see if they really need to hear something or they're watching t.v and you start talking that being more appropriate but then it's a response to them being interrupted. But if you're talking to someone and they just keep shushing you then yes, that is very rude of them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
TheForeverMan wrote:
Just tell him to STFU.

If he is not fond of that response, then why are you together?

Um, because if I was told to STFU I don't think I would be very fond of it either.

I don't do relationships the way internet advice always says, which is "if he doesn't like it, then he's not a very good boyfriend to begin with", because that's why so many relationships don't last these days. I'm sure he won't mind if I told him that it makes me feel annoyed when he shushes me, but I still feel awkward about it.

If you're sure he won't mind why are you so nervous to express that to him? I mean I have to say my concern is he may be treating you as an inferior. I'd say tell him you don't like it and see how he reacts...

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:
I hate that shush noise. It goes right through me like a bullet. The last time someone did that to me, I looked right at them, and in a perfectly normal-volumed voice, I said "Did you just shush me?" And I gave them my best WTF!?! look.

They did not shush me again.

You must have been intimidating to them in some way. I learned long ago never to do anything like that, which essentially means taking respect for granted, because they could just as easily reply, with a defiant attitude, "Yes, I did—got a problem with that?", and I'd end up even more humiliated than before. There's also the less overtly confrontational approach (some would probably say the cowardly approach) of acting like your response is an obvious sign that you're mentally unsound, a fully generic reply weirdos like me get all the time and works flawlessly to invalidate us regardless of the situation or what we said or did.

somanyspoons wrote:
If it was an intimate partner, I might be more inclined to explain to them that its both a sensory issue, and to me, a matter of respect. Shushing is something you do to inferiors. Its not a friendly request, its a command. And that feels wrong to me in a relationship.

To me, it means, "I've decided you are my inferior, because I have no need to respect you. Any kind of interaction between us will be based on this premise. If you don't like it, you'd better not expect anything good from me, and remember I can always decide to attack you in any way I like".

Actually, it worked pretty well. The intimidation factor only comes because they expected everyone to fall in line and I didn't do as they planned. In order to get marked crazy, you have to go on and on about it. One sentence isn't going to do that.

And if they come back with a "what are you going to do about it" I would just turn and walk away. I might even say, "nothing." But I would keep up the WTF look. They are the one acting crazy. At that point, it's really not worth it to escalate things further. If they are like that, they are likely not very well, emotionally and I don't want to be in the way of someone who's really wired. And if they are coming back at me like that and we are friends or spouses or something - well, that relationship needs to end. I don't do abusive relationships and what you are describing crosses the line.

There's this trick with people who have generally good intentions, but have said something f-ed up. You simply repeat back to them what they've said. "You just said that that man deserved to be murdered at a traffic stop." (at someone who comments that all these cop killings are justified) or "Did I hear you right that people with disabilities shouldn't be allowed at your work?" (at someone complaining about ADA requirements.) You just rephrase the awful thing they said. Often hearing it come back at them will make them think twice about what they've said. Also, it's harder for them to get offended because you are just saying the same thing they said. Its a de-escalation technique. And no, it doesn't work on real bullies. Its for people who are usually good people.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 5:40 pm

Oh, I don't know an answer. Maybe he likes shushing, and doesn't know he's being rude. But being shushed isn't usually something people make a big deal about, which is why I don't want to tell him that I don't like being shushed. I just make a big deal about it because my stupid mindset is weird I suppose.

But this thread has gone off on a tangent here. I will remember in future to never get advice about my relationship again, as it's not right, apparently. I'm sorry.

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2016, 7:04 pm

Tell him every time he makes that sound it triggers a silent fart and you feel really embarrased about it.

BitterCoffee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2016, 7:34 pm

Ask your partner what he is shhssing at, say something like "am I being loud or are you shsshing something else?"
If your partner says that the shssing is about outside noise tell them that when its done it makes you feel bad because you take it personaly and ask them to try not to do it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:37 pm

Joe, please don't be upset with us.

Just tell him you don't like it when he goes "sssshh."

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:14 pm

honesty is the best policy

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 9:04 pm

Be honest with him and tell him you don't like being shushed at.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2016, 10:16 pm

nurseangela wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:
The last time someone did that to me, I looked right at them, and in a perfectly normal-volumed voice, I said "Did you just shush me?" And I gave them my best WTF!?! look.

This made me lmao! :mrgreen: I'm trying to picture just what a "WTF look" looks like.

It's your typical black guy stare meme.
I hate shhhing too... I rather hear STFU, it's more appreciable than that resounding bs.