Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TarheelBabe1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2016, 2:14 am

Hi. I have had this self-talk issue since about age 4. I only do this at home alone, but once I start, it can be very difficult to stop. Topics can cover about anything. Anyone know of a way to reduce this behavior? I have a weighted blanket I use to help me sleep...thought I may try it anytime I am home just to see if I feel less compelled to talk to myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 2:57 am

TarheelBabe1980 wrote:
Hi. I have had this self-talk issue since about age 4. I only do this at home alone, but once I start, it can be very difficult to stop. Topics can cover about anything. Anyone know of a way to reduce this behavior? I have a weighted blanket I use to help me sleep...thought I may try it anytime I am home just to see if I feel less compelled to talk to myself.

hiya TB :) welcome to our club 8) there is NO LAW against talking to oneself. I do it all the time. no harm is done. don't worry about it. but if you are bound and determined to stop this healthy practice, give yourself a time limit with an egg timer, set it and allow yourself to chat for the predetermined time you decide on, then when it goes DING!! you stop talking- until the next time you set the timer. :idea:

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2016, 2:59 am

It could be ideas you have in your head.. Ever tried just writing them down? I don't know, they could become useful one day.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 3:29 am

TarheelBabe1980 wrote:

Hey dont feel bad :) i often talk to myself especially in the shower or if im trying to find an answer for something or even just a self vent. In some ways it allows me to release tension that is kept within and talking to oneself could be a way of venting that extra pent up energy ( maybe a form of vocal stim? i dont know) Maybe it is also a form of rett syndrome, but i have a feeling it is more of a self vent, i try not to do it in public and leave it for the confides of my home, i used to feel guilty mainly because i perceived it as odd in the sense of worrying what other people might think, ie trying to mimic social norms, but i have realised it is a part of me and think its important to be able to self vent verbally. Now that i have trained my mind not to feel soo guilty about it i actually sometimes enjoy a self vent ;)

Dont worry, just vent away :)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 3:37 am

Quote:
How to stop talking to myself?

well i used to talk to myself when i was younger, but i disagreed with everything i said, so it soon became a hostile war of words between me and me, so i decided that i would not bother talking to myself anymore because i knew i would never understand.

that is a joke kind of (with a seed of truth).

i sometimes think of things to say to other people if they were here when i have an idea, and i word the ideas out, but i do not vocalize them because i do not need to hear myself say what i think in order to know that i think it.
i must be telepathic to myself.

it is not good to inwardly reflect too much i guess. animals do not inwardly reflect at all, and some people reflect too much (inwardly that is), and they are too afraid of their own self judgement.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 4:03 am

I talk to myself a lot when I'm alone, and I always have. I think its OK, sometimes even helpful; I might help myself solve a problem or encourage myself to do something. I also make random 'conversation' and even jokes, and even that could be considered useful because I guess it's gives me a sense of company and sociability, even though I'm on my own.

Occasionally I am mean or harsh to myself, which maybe isn't so good and at that point I try to stop talking to myself for a bit. If you really want to cut back or stop all together then your weighted blanket sounds like a good place to start; it's just a question of noticing when you start to talk to yourself, and then consciously stopping/distracting yourself.

That said like other posters here I think there is a value in talking to oneself, after all it's really just an extension of your inner monologue and can help you to make sense of your brain.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 5:03 am

I do this often myself... pretty badly. Lately youd think I was in my room with someone. For me it happens I think because I actually really love talking and get little opportunity to do so where it feels totally safe to... Also if Im watching something alone (always these days) Ill comment like someone was there. I also tend to give myself verbal instruction and reminders when doing things... then theres the random disassociatve things I blurt out, usually insulting myself because Im reflecting on something regretful or embarassing 'f*****g idiot!' Ill blurt out and people are like... "whos an idiot?"

To remedy this, firstly, and this may be obvious and isnt easy but find more people to actually talk to verbally. Even if you dont like them all that much.

Secondly, as a few people said, try writing. Not only is it an outlet but can be awesomely self reflective. Try writing without stopping or thinking about what you're going to write and some cool stuff can come out you werent even totally aware of...

Furthermore Ill agree theres nothing wrong with this behavior and it doesnt need 'fixing' unless you think it does....

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:22 pm

Don´t stop.
Newest: It is very developing to talk to oneself.
You learn to picture, what others think.
You learn how to apologize wythout condemning yourself.
You can get a fair picture on how yoy percieve yourself.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:47 pm

I talk to myself without even realising it, or I make little noises. It's kinda an extension of me really tensing up and going, "Eeeeee" when I'm in deep thought or excited about something. I get looks from others, men find it cute, I find it irritating.

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:52 pm

As previously mentioned, don't feel bad about it. It's a good thing. I talk to myself and even mouth things in public. People will see my lips moving but won't hear anything and ask me what I'm saying. Also, there's this website [url]chatwithyourself.com[/url] where you can anonymously chat with yourself and others watch you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 9:46 pm

I have all sorts of nonsense vocalizations I use when I must exert myself, like getting up from a chair, I go "yamananama!" or "oomeenoomeenoomee!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 10:57 pm

I talk to myself a lot when I'm alone. It helps me to work out some things. It's helped me to get through the summer.

katiegococo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2016, 11:11 pm

I talk to myself all of the time in private. I thought for a long time that nobody else does, but realised eventually that quite a lot of people do.

However, I don't just think out loud. Sometimes I almost speak out my side of hypothetical conversations with people I know, or almost I guess roleplay around themes. In a way in practices my speaking, but then in a real conversation I'm nowhere near so eloquent, I sort of wish I was. I'm not sure if this is as normal, really.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 2:05 am

^^^I usata do that also when I was your age and younger.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 9:51 am

To this day, I still talk to myself when I am alone and working on solving a problem or inventing something. I have been doing that since I was a little boy. It used to concern my parents to see me do this, but they grew used to it over time. I try to avoid talking to myself around others though, as some just do not understand.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2016, 10:20 am

Lol, I talk to myself all the time. I think it's fairly normal as long as you're not talking to voices in your head.