Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

I talk to myself all the time though it is more like, talking to someone else who I'm acting as.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm

Private Idaho wrote:
Lol, I talk to myself all the time. I think it's fairly normal as long as you're not talking to voices in your head.

What's wrong with talking to voices inside your head?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 12:35 am

the voices in your head need some love too. :alien:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:03 am

i wonder whether deaf people talk to themselves. considering they can not hear what they are saying, they would have to look at themselves in a mirror to lip read themselves which seems like too much work to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:05 am

I would imagine they'd adapt and turn their gestures 180 degrees 'round so they could see them.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
I would imagine they'd adapt and turn their gestures 180 degrees 'round so they could see them.

ha ha ha. very well thought out (that is if you were talking about sign language)

i wonder how a deaf person would sign the words "f**k me dead ! !" after they just lost both their hands in an accident.

maybe that is getting a bit inconsiderate i guess but whatever.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:31 am

that would be even more catastrophic than if a hearing person lost their larynx in an accident.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
that would be even more catastrophic than if a hearing person lost their larynx in an accident.

but they just stick one of those "kazoo" things in the hole cut in their throat and get on with it.
i have seen a few people who talk through one of those things and they sound quite interesting. like stephen hawking sounds interesting with that computerized voice.

you can always hear a person who talks through a kazoo in a crowd. they just have that tone of voice that sticks out.
so maybe for some very ordinary hearing people, the new vocal style will give them a social boost.

i wonder if hawking was able to talk normally, whether his talking style would be interesting or not.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:34 am

b9 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

but they just stick one of those "kazoo" things in the hole cut in their throat and get on with it.
i have seen a few people who talk through one of those things and they sound quite interesting. like stephen hawking sounds interesting with that computerized voice.

you can always hear a person who talks through a kazoo in a crowd. they just have that tone of voice that sticks out.
so maybe for some very ordinary hearing people, the new vocal style will give them a social boost.

i wonder if hawking was able to talk normally, whether his talking style would be interesting or not.

Many deaf individuals still have functioning vocal chords lol, they just cant hear their own voice to be able to construct and audio sentence, voice boxes are mainly used for throat cancer victims or if they have damage to their vocal chords... Many deaf individuals also like music, they feel the vibration of the sounds often through the floors up through their feet :)...

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:42 am

Uncle wrote:
b9 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Many deaf individuals still have functioning vocal chords lol, they just cant hear their own voice to be able to construct and audio sentence, voice boxes are mainly used for throat cancer victims or if they have damage to their vocal chords... Many deaf individuals also like music, they feel the vibration of the sounds often through the floors up through their feet :)...

that's great but i was talking about aunt blabby's proposition about a "hearing person" who lost their voice box. someone who could previously speak normally, but can't yell "f**k!! !" when they realize their voice is gone.

i know what you are talking about. the "seal" sounding vocalization that profoundly deaf people from birth seem to utter. but your post as attached to mine, is nonetheless misguided. sorry.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:55 am

the point I was trying to make, was that a hearing person who lost their larynx at least could resort to the kazoo or esophageal speech, but a deaf person missing their communication instrument [their hands and forearms] has no analogous substitute to use. s/he would [absent the eye-tracking speech gizmo Hawking uses] become mostly unable to express words or intent until the point that some scientist invented a direct brain-to-speech machine.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:58 am

b9 wrote:
Uncle wrote:
b9 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that's great but i was talking about aunt blabby's proposition about a "hearing person" who lost their voice box. someone who could previously speak normally, but can't yell "f**k!! !" when they realize their voice is gone.

i know what you are talking about. the "seal" sounding vocalization that profoundly deaf people from birth seem to utter. but your post as attached to mine, is nonetheless misguided. sorry.

I apologize, I misread the post and was reiterating that deaf individuals still have voice boxes, so yes i see where you are coming from. I could have just been a trigger as i was profoundly deaf as a kid/teen ( 9 operations later) so was just reiterating that those with hearing impairment still have vocal chords. However i do see what you are saying and apologize for the mix-up :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:05 am

I think talking to myself makes a lot more sense than talking to a volleyball named Wilson.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:39 am

i'd talk to a realdoll if I could have one. she wouldn't mind if I spoke sweet nothings to her.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:45 am

I sign language myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 5:10 am

do you ever have sign language arguments with yourself?