Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,919
Location: Twin Peaks

05 Oct 2016, 3:57 am

LupaLuna wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Yeah so what? People who get lots of piercings and tattoos deal with that as well. Being told to not be yourself because people will have odd or weird thoughts about you is discriminatory.

"Oh my what will the neighbours think?"
It doesn't matter what they think.


You're forgetting something. People "choose" to have tattoos and piercings and are aware of the social consequences of that choice. People "don't choose" to have autism. I sure as the hell didn't go down to an autism parlor to get autism.


True but I figure I can choose to whether or not to care about what people, namely strangers, think about me. I'm learning not to care.



SaveFerris
Banned
Banned

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

05 Oct 2016, 7:39 am

EzraS wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Yeah so what? People who get lots of piercings and tattoos deal with that as well. Being told to not be yourself because people will have odd or weird thoughts about you is discriminatory.

"Oh my what will the neighbours think?"
It doesn't matter what they think.


You're forgetting something. People "choose" to have tattoos and piercings and are aware of the social consequences of that choice. People "don't choose" to have autism. I sure as the hell didn't go down to an autism parlor to get autism.


True but I figure I can choose to whether or not to care about what people, namely strangers, think about me. I'm learning not to care.


As you have youth on your side it may be easier for you choose whether or not to care about what people think , at your age I think I also didn't care what others thought. For me as I got older and symptoms got worse I found it very difficult not to care. I am also covered in tattoo's, piercings and have wierd hair but I'm sure I use it as a mask , it gives me a reason why I think people stare at me , before tattoos I couldn't work out why people stared.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2016
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 673
Location: Lancashire, UK

05 Oct 2016, 7:41 am

SaveFerris wrote:
EzraS wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Yeah so what? People who get lots of piercings and tattoos deal with that as well. Being told to not be yourself because people will have odd or weird thoughts about you is discriminatory.

"Oh my what will the neighbours think?"
It doesn't matter what they think.


You're forgetting something. People "choose" to have tattoos and piercings and are aware of the social consequences of that choice. People "don't choose" to have autism. I sure as the hell didn't go down to an autism parlor to get autism.


True but I figure I can choose to whether or not to care about what people, namely strangers, think about me. I'm learning not to care.


As you have youth on your side it may be easier for you choose whether or not to care about what people think , at your age I think I also didn't care what others thought. For me as I got older and symptoms got worse I found it very difficult not to care. I am also covered in tattoo's, piercings and have wierd hair but I'm sure I use it as a mask , it gives me a reason why I think people stare at me , before tattoos I couldn't work out why people stared.


That's interesting. I find that I care much less know than when I was younger, and that seems to be common amongst those I know, too.



SaveFerris
Banned
Banned

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

05 Oct 2016, 7:50 am

ArielsSong wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
EzraS wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Yeah so what? People who get lots of piercings and tattoos deal with that as well. Being told to not be yourself because people will have odd or weird thoughts about you is discriminatory.

"Oh my what will the neighbours think?"
It doesn't matter what they think.


You're forgetting something. People "choose" to have tattoos and piercings and are aware of the social consequences of that choice. People "don't choose" to have autism. I sure as the hell didn't go down to an autism parlor to get autism.


True but I figure I can choose to whether or not to care about what people, namely strangers, think about me. I'm learning not to care.


As you have youth on your side it may be easier for you choose whether or not to care about what people think , at your age I think I also didn't care what others thought. For me as I got older and symptoms got worse I found it very difficult not to care. I am also covered in tattoo's, piercings and have wierd hair but I'm sure I use it as a mask , it gives me a reason why I think people stare at me , before tattoos I couldn't work out why people stared.


That's interesting. I find that I care much less know than when I was younger, and that seems to be common amongst those I know, too.


That is interesting. I haven't been diagnosed so may not have ASD. Even though I finds things worse as an adult I've shaped my life to involve as little social interaction as possible so I don't feel it as often but it's definately worse..


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,192
Location: NZ

05 Oct 2016, 8:55 am

This is me speaking for what worked for me.

In all honesty I am not sure whether passing for a neurotypical is possible, it is something I can keep up for a few days but ultimately one way or another my inner aspie is revealed as someone gets to know me a bit more. Honestly one thing which has worked for me is to participate with people in conversation when I have something to say. It allows me to go out of my shell and momentarily escape being the quietest person in the room. This is not guaranteed to let a friend fall into your arms but in all honesty what this really helps me is to adjust myself around people and make aquiantances. Anyways you don't always need to pass for a neurotypical maybe it would be good to try and be yourself, people will percieve you as someone comfortable in their own skin which believe it or not many people actually like and respect, this doesn't mean behave autistic since they may not work but if you do the odd habit there and there its no big deal and don't always try to surpress it.



BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,356

05 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

If you want life to get better you might start with being a more effective worker--doing the stuff you are suppose to do--while not raising the expectations of what your co-workers have to do.

Sometimes this is a matter of sorting through the lies your bosses tell you.



Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2015
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,805
Location: Sinnoh

05 Oct 2016, 10:52 am

random1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
random1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
random1 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What happened that you feel this way?

bc
i have no friends
prob never date
and 3
im upset bout something


My opinion is you don't need friends or a woman to make your life better , they can definately help but don't always equate to better.

today
we learned not to flap hands
or
do unexpected behavior
like rocking at work


Did they teach you how to stop doing it or why you should stop doing it


not really
thay said
pepole will have odd thoughts about u
or weird thoughts

If your not in ABA then who is teaching this to you. I've never really understand why other people's thoughts matter, though. If they think I'm eccentric. Or creepy. As long as they aren't going to be violent about it why does it matter? I don't understand maybe self employment might be better for you. Maybe selling stuff on ebay.


_________________
Ψ-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ Pieplup's Art. My YouTube Channel. You can call me pieplup or pie. If you can't see my bright blue text you can highlight it.
Special Interests: Pokémon, and Autism.
Professionally Diagnosed: with PDD-NOS, A.D.H.D., Dysgraphia, and Social Phobia.
Note: i'm not as active anymore feel free to pm me if you want to talk to me. I come on here from time to time with a spurt of activity mainly due to social isolation.

Ψ-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ


random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

05 Oct 2016, 1:59 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Are you making fun of us? Just asking.

no


_________________
diagnosed with autistic disorder.


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,697
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

06 Oct 2016, 8:36 am

random1 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Are you making fun of us? Just asking.

no


I apologize than.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,697
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

06 Oct 2016, 8:38 am

EzraS wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Yeah so what? People who get lots of piercings and tattoos deal with that as well. Being told to not be yourself because people will have odd or weird thoughts about you is discriminatory.

"Oh my what will the neighbours think?"
It doesn't matter what they think.


You're forgetting something. People "choose" to have tattoos and piercings and are aware of the social consequences of that choice. People "don't choose" to have autism. I sure as the hell didn't go down to an autism parlor to get autism.


True but I figure I can choose to whether or not to care about what people, namely strangers, think about me. I'm learning not to care.


People can also choose whether to be happy or miserable as well. I choose happiness myself. :)


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645