Anyone here have nonverbal learning disability?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EllaRose123
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

Usually means there's something wrong w the right side of your brain, trouble navigating/ getting lost easily, and social issues.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 11:11 pm

Me... And the "getting lost easily" thing resonates with me so well. I can't tell you how many times I've actually gotten lost on campus....

EllaRose123
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Me... And the "getting lost easily" thing resonates with me so well. I can't tell you how many times I've actually gotten lost on campus....

It's the worst

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

EllaRose123 wrote:
FluttercordAspie93 wrote:

It's the worst

Yeah, I was diagnosed with it when I was attending preschool.

The teaching staff there thought it would be better for me if I was relocated to a more "accommodating" school, but my mother didn't want that, so I was homeschooled until first grade.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 1:51 pm

My nonverbal learning disability is frustrating to many people.

Many people just think that I lack "common sense."

I can't look at a diagram of something, then build something based purely on the visual diagram.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm

I can get lost easily, I have so much trouble with directions. I used to get lost when I'm out walking, I got lost at an airport once, I had to ask someone for help. A few times, I get lost at Best Buy, I was there with my mom & we separated, she was looking for computer paper & I was looking at PC games or games for my gameboy. Best Buy in one town was so big (I called it Disneyland) When I was looking for my mom, I couldn't find her, I was panicked, I felt like a little girl wanting her mommy.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2016, 7:34 pm

I have it. Directions are a problem for me, though maybe not as severe as some in this thread.

BombChel534
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2016, 7:49 pm

Definitely have issues with navigation and direction. I kind of miss when I lived in Utah if only because in the salt lake valley the mountains are always right there to the east so you can basically never get lost as long as you can see them. I learn places pretty easily, though, so often I intentionally get myself lost so I have to find my way again, and from that point on I usually never get lost in the same area again.

Translates pretty handily to games too, but is also a double edged sword: I memorize game maps relatively quickly, but games with procedurally generated levels? I'm basically perpetually lost, but that unto itself isn't always bad because it makes every go-through pretty fresh until I learn all the tiles or patterns lol.

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 7:50 pm

Yes, and I also have a visual impairment. I didn't know my way around town until I became an adult, and the only way I learned then was by riding in the passenger seat of my grandma's car holding and watching her GPS as we rode.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 8:36 pm

Many years back I'd get lost for hours if I veered too far from familiar areas, but isn't it that way for everyone?
The worst part was that maps gave me almost as much trouble (cardinal directions elude me). :(
Hooray for GPS & Google navigation! :D

Warriorgoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2016, 9:30 pm

Me too, it sucks :(

Alexinwonderland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm

Yes, NLD is my diagnosis. I always get lost, I have gotten lost for hours before and broken down crying my eyes out. People say to me why don't I use SAT NAV on my phone but that does the help me at all. I can't read maps or diagrams either and I cannot take in verbal instructions either, I need clear written instructions.

I am quite severely dyspraxic, I have problems tying things like laces and ropes and also cant use locks. I have dyscalculia too and not good with problem solving and I very much have problems being pro active which seems to be a key skills many employers want but because of confusion, lack of confidence, not knowing what to do etc I just can't seem to be pro active or use my initiative. I definitely think NVLD is linked to aspergers and needs to be recognised.

autNintendofan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2016, 5:44 pm

Im severly autistic

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2016, 4:04 pm

I'm bad at logic compared to most people, I always have to ask the teacher to specify a task while the others understand it immediatly.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My nonverbal learning disability is frustrating to many people.

Many people just think that I lack "common sense."

I can't look at a diagram of something, then build something based purely on the visual diagram.

Me neither Kraftie, I can never look at instructions for building models or furniture and figure out which drawings are supposed to represent which pieces. As for navigation, forget it, I can't navigate my way out of a wet paper bag.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I wouldn't have a clue how to.