Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

Not every Autistic kid will grow up to be a twelve year old physicist, but truth is that when your Autistic toddler is not talking or engaging with you, you really have no idea what he is actually doing. It might even be possible that he could be doing things far more advanced than babytalking with you. Please take great encouragement, as I did, in this Ted Talk. What a beautiful and inspiring Autistic child. :D
https://youtu.be/Uq-FOOQ1TpE

Wreck It Ralph

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm

It's too bad these examples of encouragement almost always are of exceptionally gifted people on the spectrum. Jake is great, and I'm glad there are people like him, but most aspies, like NTs are not super-geniuses.

I think it's important we accept and remember this.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm

I'm sorry I brought it up. My mistake. I will ask to have this thread removed.

Wreck It Ralph

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:31 pm

Please don't be discouraged Skibum. Encouragement is never in abundant enough supply for any part of the spectrum. Wherever anyone starts, others can offer encouragement for other parts of the spectrum too. The title of your thread is Encouragement For Parents. You posted an example. Others can post other examples. You have created an opportunity for positivity generally. Thank you.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:57 pm

Thank you :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 3:22 am

The video below breaks many many Autism stereotypes. The severly autistic young lady who wrote this song did not communicate in any reconizable way until age 11 and overheard and understood many conversations by her parents and professionals about how hopeless her life would be.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 3:28 am

My eldest AS grandson leaves on a plane tomorrow for the USA and the next stage of his basketball career! He was very autistic as a child, though once we learned that he was a profound visual learner, and we adjusted to that, identified his strengths, he did better, though school was never his happy place. He has played basketball from an early age and that is his special talent. He is 19 now. It's his first time overseas and a very big step. We are very proud of him, he had to overcome a lot of challenges to get this far. His early schools never thought he would really amount to anything, though we did not stop encouraging him. From that base his own efforts got him to the level of ability he has today in his speciality.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The video below breaks many many Autism stereotypes. The severly autistic young lady who wrote this song did not communicate in any reconizable way until age 11 and overheard and understood many conversations by her parents and professionals about how hopeless her life would be.

Love Carly so much. Best spokesperson for autism ever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:31 am

B19: Will he be playing college basketball?

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 6:33 am

skibum wrote:

My point was that we need more balance, not that examples like you linked shouldn't be shared. Sorry if I discouraged you. I just don't want to see unrealistic expectations placed on people on the spectrum because of the over-representation of a few gifted individuals by media.

It seems I worded it poorly as I didn't expect to create offense. I hope this clarifies a little what I hoped to express originally.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 7:09 am

Exuvian wrote:
skibum wrote:

My point was that we need more balance, not that examples like you linked shouldn't be shared. Sorry if I discouraged you. I just don't want to see unrealistic expectations placed on people on the spectrum because of the over-representation of a few gifted individuals by media.

It seems I worded it poorly as I didn't expect to create offense. I hope this clarifies a little what I hoped to express originally.

Thank you. I really appreciate you explaining. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 8:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I love that song. That's also a great video. I apologize for my previous post. My grammar isn't that good.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 12:45 pm

B19 wrote:
My eldest AS grandson leaves on a plane tomorrow for the USA and the next stage of his basketball career! He was very autistic as a child, though once we learned that he was a profound visual learner, and we adjusted to that, identified his strengths, he did better, though school was never his happy place. He has played basketball from an early age and that is his special talent. He is 19 now. It's his first time overseas and a very big step. We are very proud of him, he had to overcome a lot of challenges to get this far. His early schools never thought he would really amount to anything, though we did not stop encouraging him. From that base his own efforts got him to the level of ability he has today in his speciality.

is he going to be a professional basketball player?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 1:55 pm

Hi Skibum, long time no see, I've missed you! :heart: I've seen the video you posted before, and it's really amazing. I wish I could do maths like Jake, but I'm terrible at it. Words are really more my specialty. It should be noted that approximately 10% of those with ASD have savant abilities, but the numbers are nowhere near that high for NT's, I think many of us have talents that are highly underappreciated.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm

I miss you Startrekker
:heart:

Wreck It Ralph

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 6:53 pm

I don't think this quote is crazy, and it saddens me that it even needs to be qualified in that way. Encouragement is one of the loveliest gifts one human can give to another, or receive from another. Encouragement can be a bridge, a pathway, a new source of energy, hope and vision. If we can plant the seed of encouragement in a child's life, then we have achieved something valuable and lasting.

"Call me crazy but I love to see people happy and succeeding. Life is a journey, not a competition".