Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2016, 10:34 am

I've always had some peculiarities when it comes to food and eating, which became worse when I was around 12 and suddenly refused to eat at all and had to be hospitalised. Consequently I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa despite my eating disorder possessing entirely different causes and symptoms. My reason for refusing to eat anything was because of a fear of gagging / choking and disliking the sensation of food being in my mouth. Even now I can have relapses if I'm under particularly anxious conditions. I have never actually gagged or choked, however.

I can't eat during travel and have difficulty eating at new locations, in busy places, or social gatherings. I prefer to eat alone in my room. As for issues with specific foods, these have varied from time to time throughout my life. When I was little, I wasn't very fussy but unlike a lot of children I hated overly sweet foods and preferred plain bread and vegetables. I would scrape the icing off cakes and eat the cake by itself. I still do this unless the icing is very mild.

I also hated spicy foods when I was little. I had to remove pepperonis off my pizza and eat them seperately. I've always been unable to eat black olives as they nauseate me for some reason. I can't eat onions because of a terrible after-taste that lasts until the next day. I like garlic, but it can do the same thing as onions.

I went through a time when I couldn't eat peas because of the texture of the skins, and oat meal because of the texture against the back of my throat. Now I can eat peas and oatmeal again, but I have issues with thick foods like breads, potatoes, and peanut butter and stringy cheeses and meats. I hate the hard edges on a lot of meats and I have trouble eating most meats, in general, because of fat and stringiness. I'm generally more sensitive to the texture of foods than the taste. Also I hate mushy cereal and have to literally force myself to eat it.

Anyway, I never gag like some people do, but I just feel overly conscious of the sensation of certain foods in my mouth and at the back of my throat, and it causes a discomfort/anxiety and is difficult if not impossible for me to force down.

If I'm staying somewhere away from home and enter into an anxious situation, I may spend the entire stay without eating solid foods (I become unable to eat them) , which is extremely miserable and nerve-wracking. No one else understand why I do this... they probably think it's a choice. :|

Sorry for the disorganised post. I was just listing things as they came to mind. :?

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm

Basically my attitude to pineapple pizza:

Anchovies and chicken are both acceptable one true toppings. Sausage is delicious too, but pretty bad for you, so moderation is a good idea there.

Blood coming out of a steak, though... I order my burgers medium-rare and I'd order them rare if some restaurants didn't seem to think that meant undercooked. Blood is juicy and good. The blood is the life. :twisted:

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

I must eat sandwiches [at least when I was still eating sandwiches] in a circle, eliminating the yucky crust first and saving the yummy middle for last, totally unsullied by the yucky crust experience :chef:

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:48 pm

I am and always have been very picky...really even more so now due to gut problems and hormonal problems. I try to avoid all the major allergens and biggest GMO culprits such as corn and soy, most artificial additives, and eat organic as much as possible.

At home I mostly eat pasta or rice, with shrimp or beef or sometimes chicken. I try to avoid garlic and onions so I use plain crushed tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and add my own seasonings. Sometimes I eat pasta with nothing but melted butter, and it has to be real butter and preferably Amish butter. Otherwise I might fry pork chops or fry chicken in the oven.

I love fruit flavors but don't really like to eat fruit...so I have a big weakness for fruit juice and smoothies, and I really like gummy fruit snacks and candies.

The main thing about my pickiness is whatever I will eat, it has to be a particular brand I'm used to, or has to be cooked a certain way with only certain types of ingredients...or if I eat out, it will have to be a certain type of place I am familiar with and I will always get the same thing. I am happier just eating the same things over and over, and it is not worth the risk of a upset stomach to try something different.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:14 pm

I'm not a picky eater, I can eat anything, any texture, I don't mind if things touch on the plate, etc, except I'm a lightweight with spicy-hot foods -- I can't enjoy burning my mouth on jalapenos and other spicy things.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~