Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2016, 10:34 am

I've always had some peculiarities when it comes to food and eating, which became worse when I was around 12 and suddenly refused to eat at all and had to be hospitalised. Consequently I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa despite my eating disorder possessing entirely different causes and symptoms. My reason for refusing to eat anything was because of a fear of gagging / choking and disliking the sensation of food being in my mouth. Even now I can have relapses if I'm under particularly anxious conditions. I have never actually gagged or choked, however.

I can't eat during travel and have difficulty eating at new locations, in busy places, or social gatherings. I prefer to eat alone in my room. As for issues with specific foods, these have varied from time to time throughout my life. When I was little, I wasn't very fussy but unlike a lot of children I hated overly sweet foods and preferred plain bread and vegetables. I would scrape the icing off cakes and eat the cake by itself. I still do this unless the icing is very mild.

I also hated spicy foods when I was little. I had to remove pepperonis off my pizza and eat them seperately. I've always been unable to eat black olives as they nauseate me for some reason. I can't eat onions because of a terrible after-taste that lasts until the next day. I like garlic, but it can do the same thing as onions.

I went through a time when I couldn't eat peas because of the texture of the skins, and oat meal because of the texture against the back of my throat. Now I can eat peas and oatmeal again, but I have issues with thick foods like breads, potatoes, and peanut butter and stringy cheeses and meats. I hate the hard edges on a lot of meats and I have trouble eating most meats, in general, because of fat and stringiness. I'm generally more sensitive to the texture of foods than the taste. Also I hate mushy cereal and have to literally force myself to eat it.

Anyway, I never gag like some people do, but I just feel overly conscious of the sensation of certain foods in my mouth and at the back of my throat, and it causes a discomfort/anxiety and is difficult if not impossible for me to force down.

If I'm staying somewhere away from home and enter into an anxious situation, I may spend the entire stay without eating solid foods (I become unable to eat them) , which is extremely miserable and nerve-wracking. No one else understand why I do this... they probably think it's a choice. :|

Sorry for the disorganised post. I was just listing things as they came to mind. :?

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm

Basically my attitude to pineapple pizza:

Anchovies and chicken are both acceptable one true toppings. Sausage is delicious too, but pretty bad for you, so moderation is a good idea there.

Blood coming out of a steak, though... I order my burgers medium-rare and I'd order them rare if some restaurants didn't seem to think that meant undercooked. Blood is juicy and good. The blood is the life. :twisted:

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

I must eat sandwiches [at least when I was still eating sandwiches] in a circle, eliminating the yucky crust first and saving the yummy middle for last, totally unsullied by the yucky crust experience :chef:

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:48 pm

I am and always have been very picky...really even more so now due to gut problems and hormonal problems. I try to avoid all the major allergens and biggest GMO culprits such as corn and soy, most artificial additives, and eat organic as much as possible.

At home I mostly eat pasta or rice, with shrimp or beef or sometimes chicken. I try to avoid garlic and onions so I use plain crushed tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and add my own seasonings. Sometimes I eat pasta with nothing but melted butter, and it has to be real butter and preferably Amish butter. Otherwise I might fry pork chops or fry chicken in the oven.

I love fruit flavors but don't really like to eat fruit...so I have a big weakness for fruit juice and smoothies, and I really like gummy fruit snacks and candies.

The main thing about my pickiness is whatever I will eat, it has to be a particular brand I'm used to, or has to be cooked a certain way with only certain types of ingredients...or if I eat out, it will have to be a certain type of place I am familiar with and I will always get the same thing. I am happier just eating the same things over and over, and it is not worth the risk of a upset stomach to try something different.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:14 pm

I'm not a picky eater, I can eat anything, any texture, I don't mind if things touch on the plate, etc, except I'm a lightweight with spicy-hot foods -- I can't enjoy burning my mouth on jalapenos and other spicy things.