Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm

I don't like vegetables. I can only enjoy French cut green beans, corn, and peas, and the school doesn't prepare vegetables in a way that I will eat them. I can tolerate broccoli, celery, and carrots, and I've honestly tried to eat other vegetables but I can't stand them. I also hate mushrooms.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 5:35 pm

I am. Less so now than as a child, but I drove my mom crazy with all the things I refused to eat.

There was a running joke at church potlucks about how I wouldn't eat anything but KFC.

Of course I do have a couple of valid excuses; I am allergic to nuts, I cannot eat berries, bananas or yogurt without tripping my gag reflex, and the inner lining of my throat will swell up in response to certain foods so I can't swallow without chewing food to the smoothest texture possible (I have eosinophilic esophagitis and an esophageal stenosis).

There are foods I used to refuse to eat that I now tolerate though, like mushrooms, black olives and raw tomatoes. I still request no mushrooms or black olives when I order food, and I now like tomatoes. I don't like mayonnaise or other condiments and generally order burgers and sandwiches without sauce. Ranch dressing is the only spread/salad dressing I can tolerate.

In my opinion this thread needs a poll. :)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 6:28 pm

I am a very picky eater and I am not ashamed to say so. It made going to family picnics torture as a kid as my relatives would always want me to try to eat something wierd that they brought. But, they would almost always forget about my egg allergy issue (and a few more) during the process. It got to the point that my mother would special cook me fried chicken (without using egg in the batter) for me to take for my own meal there. I still hate going out to eat with other people because inevitably they will pick a place that I cannot eat at and then try to force me to eat there with them. They keep saying "Oh, you have never tried it, it is so good." Yeah, maybe not so much if I have to go to the ER afterwords. That is not a fun issue for me to deal with.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 7:40 pm

I used to be really picky, but at some point I realized that the worst thing that could happen from trying something was that I might not like it, and so became much more adventurous in my eating. Also, I started working in restaurants, and it's really hard to turn down something someone made in front of you because you think you won't like it, plus you'll get made fun of for it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 3:47 am

I'm a picky eater. :lol: It's the only sensory weakness I have.
I have no food allergies or anything forbidden on my system. Just picky, or maybe something psychological.

I don't eat vegetables, I can only eat 3 kinds of fruits -- orange, coconuts, and bananas. I can only eat plain white rice, and nothing special with any variety.
I'm terrible at trying spicy food.
I'm very fussy on pastries. (I hate anything milky/sugary/buttery/added with fruit) I would rather have a plain bread no matter how undercooked or overcooked.
Although, I'm ok with various types of nuts as long as nothing is fruity or sugary on it.
And pretty much limited on plain 'fried', 'grilled', 'stewed', all without sauces or any sort of additives on meat.

Though it's rather odd that I never went fussy against medicines. And I rarely get sick, so I didn't 'got used to it', just not against it.
However, there are specific drugs that seriously affects my tasting that anything I eat tastes terrible, no matter how much I like the food.

I just need a little push to overcome this... Sometimes the flavor is just overwhelming that I can't eat it more than a bite. Sometimes the texture makes me gag, or it doesn't match with the flavor.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 8:25 am

People find it strange that I don't really care for potatoes. It seems like they are a major staple food all over the world. It's frustrating. It's really the fine lumpy/starchy texture that I can't stand. It makes me gag. It's the same with baked beans, squash, guacamole, pumpkin, etc... cant' eat any of it. I also feel like nuts just ruin things. I'll eat some nuts plain, but I feel like they just ruin softer foods like cake. I also prefer chocolate without nuts.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 8:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
I used to be really picky, but at some point I realized that the worst thing that could happen from trying something was that I might not like it, and so became much more adventurous in my eating. Also, I started working in restaurants, and it's really hard to turn down something someone made in front of you because you think you won't like it, plus you'll get made fun of for it.

I think having texture/flavor issues is very different from just not wanting to try new foods. I understand being afraid to try new things or not wanting to try something due to how it looks. This can be overcome with time. With me though there are some foods that I will literally find difficult to get down no matter how many times I'm forced to "try" them.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 8:36 am

I've never been picky - not even as a kid.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

liveandrew wrote:
I'll eat pretty much anything but I do have a hatred of blancmange, tapioca, semolina and liver just like anyone else who went to a British school in the 70s.

Ha ha , I must be the exception to the rule , Im a bit of a fussy eater but like blancmange, tapioca, semolina and liver.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AnodyneInsect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2016, 10:21 pm

Will not do cooked peas, those spheres of doom are for other people. Cooked carrots are also upsetting.

I like vegetable sushi, nori, seaweed salad, any kind of noodle, most vegetables, shrimp and chicken. Also homemade macaroni and cheese.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2016, 1:12 am

SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
I'll eat pretty much anything but I do have a hatred of blancmange, tapioca, semolina and liver just like anyone else who went to a British school in the 70s.

Ha ha , I must be the exception to the rule , Im a bit of a fussy eater but like blancmange, tapioca, semolina and liver.

Weirdo! What about beef tongue then? Yuck!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 2:14 am

I will not eat salad if it has dressing, vegetables can’t be boiled to mush. If the sandwich has pickles, it has to be remade. I also dislike mustard.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 6:38 am

liveandrew wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:

Weirdo! What about beef tongue then? Yuck!

Never tried beef tongue but the thought of it is definately yuck.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 6:55 am

I prefer to eat the same things every day. So a lot of the times I'm eating a different meal from everyone else at dinner. However I like most ordinary food. Don't like anything spicy, rich, stong, exotic etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 7:03 am

I refuse to eat any food with olives in it. if there is pineapple on a pizza, I will pick each piece off of it and eat them separately as I cannot abide the combo of pineapple and pizza. if there is blood coming out of a steak, I will recook it until the blood is gone.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
if there is pineapple on a pizza, I will pick each piece off of it and eat them separately as I cannot abide the combo of pineapple and pizza.

I'm ok with pineapple on pizza but pineapple & cheese on a stick ( British party food ) I have to eat seperately