Why am I feeling pain if I'm getting better? :/

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

Hi guys. I've been away for a while.
I've been getting support for my ASD by seeing a support worker and that has helped me a lot. I had a lot of problems with college and being around the other students but it's greatly reduced now.

Sometimes I talk to them and ask him questions and none of them dislike me. I dont feel so nervous anymore about things and don't shutdown or panic nearly as much. I still don't have any friends at all though.

Problem is even though I'm improving I keep feeling pain in my chest for other 2 weeks. I don't think I'm sick though but it's like when you feel sad about something except I'm not sad. I don't know how to stop feeling pain because I don't know what the cause is.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:42 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
Hi guys. I've been away for a while.
I've been getting support for my ASD by seeing a support worker and that has helped me a lot. I had a lot of problems with college and being around the other students but it's greatly reduced now.

Sometimes I talk to them and ask him questions and none of them dislike me. I dont feel so nervous anymore about things and don't shutdown or panic nearly as much. I still don't have any friends at all though.

Problem is even though I'm improving I keep feeling pain in my chest for other 2 weeks. I don't think I'm sick though but it's like when you feel sad about something except I'm not sad. I don't know how to stop feeling pain because I don't know what the cause is.

That's a big question. That sensation could mean so many things.

First rule out the physical: asthma? walking (mild) pneumonia or dry bronchitis?

Second: Sometimes its when things are going pretty well that we start to process negative emotions. So, even though things are going great, you end up dealing with some depression or anxiety. Its just that you were on high alert for so long. Your body gets used to all those stress hormones. As you come off of them, you can start to feel some unplesant things. Don't worry, that kind of thing will pass eventually. It could be anxiety. As an ASDer you are likely to get that throughout your life.

Third: It could be that you are actually sad, even though you don't think you have anything to feel sad about. It might be worth it to do some free-association journalling. Just sit down and do nothing but write until you have three pages done. Don't edit yourself. Just write. A lot of people find that they are able to connect with their emotions that way. We too often stuff them down, so far down we don't even know they are there.

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2016, 10:32 pm

It sounds like anxiety to me, if you're otherwise healthy. Have you tried deep breathing? This especially helps if you're thinking really pleasant thoughts at the same time. Many, many people have gone to the ER thinking that they're having a heart attack only to realize that it's anxiety later.