Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FlySwine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2016, 6:06 am

Do you tend to remember details of someone's face (lips, nose) rather than the whole face, as in the big picture of the face?

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2016, 9:57 am

I think I look at the overall face. I know that people can become unrecognizable to me by changing a little detail such as hair, or glasses, or facial hair. Yes, the Clark Kent to Superman change of hair style and glasses could fool me.

broccolichowder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2016, 11:21 am

I don't notice the details. A change in beard (growth or removal) could stump me as well.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

Usually most of my energy goes in to trying to hold eye contact or come up with a response that I hope they'll be happy with. I count the moments until I can look away and relax, which leaves little room to account for details unless they're exceedingly conspicuous.

I'm actually really good at face recognition though if the online tests are to be believed. Hooray for distinctive eyebrows!

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2016, 10:37 pm

FlySwine wrote:
Do you tend to remember details of someone's face (lips, nose) rather than the whole face, as in the big picture of the face?

I am horrible at face recognition (prosopagnosia) so I oftentimes use distinguishing features or clothing to identify people.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 2:17 am

I am bad with faces and slight changes will throw me off. I probably can’t recognize you till I seen you a few times. I also can’t describe someone’s face, even if I can recognize them.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 10:02 am

I can't recognize faces at all. I usually identify people by distinctive features, such as their hairstyle or if they wear glasses. Things like facial piercings help me recognize people too. My mom a few years back started dyeing her hair a different color and it made it hard for me to recognize her at first. It is very likely I have Prosopagnosia, according to my therapist.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 10:22 am

I get confused when somebody wears big sunglasses or dyes their hair, and this often offends them. It's not my fault I have the facial recognition skills of an infant!

Skysky
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2016, 10:25 am

I'm not good at remembering either part of the face or its whole. I can only conjure in my memory some distorted, blurry images. The funniest part is when I look in the mirror, everyday I comment in my head: so that's how you actually look~ Minutes later I forget most of the details. Must be the Prosopagnosia I read about.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 2:15 pm

muffinhead wrote:
FlySwine wrote:

I am horrible at face recognition (prosopagnosia) so I oftentimes use distinguishing features or clothing to identify people.

Me too. I get people with similar hair colors or face shapes mixed up with each other in my head all the time. I can describe the shirt my co-worker was wearing the very first time I met her four months ago than I can the details of her face. I would make a terrible crime witness.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

I am terrible at recognising people by their faces. I have had the experience where I was talking to somebody (who I hadn't met before) at a crowded conference, turned around for about 4 seconds, then had no idea which person I'd been talking to for the last 5 minutes. I find it hard to recognise people in photographs as well. Admittedly, I don't spend much time looking at people's faces (even when talking to them... :oops: ), but one would think I might be able to recognise somebody after seeing them nearly daily for half a year.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 8:38 pm

I generally don't remember anything about them. O.o

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 8:51 pm

i often recognize faces only after hearing the voice.

obsessingoverobsessions
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Oct 2016, 5:43 am

Yes, I remember the main features of someone's face rather than the whole thing. I can't remember faces of people who don't have unique features.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 4:12 pm

The hair and the clothes I usually remember more then the face.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 4:40 pm

I'm generally not too bad at recognising people, but I think I rely on details more than on the whole face, and I can't picture faces in my mind (I'm aphantasic, so the same goes for anything else). When I've tried drawing portraits of people from life, I can draw the individual features fairly accurately, but they never seemed to fit together in a way that looks lifelike. I doubt that it's prosopagnosia, though, as my seeing seems in general to be more focused on details than on the "big picture" - I might recognise the unusual hub-caps on a friend's car but not be able to say what colour the car is, for example.

StarTrekker wrote:
I would make a terrible crime witness.

I felt very embarrassed by this when I was dealing with the police after being mugged many years ago. When they asked whether I'd got a look at his face, I knew that I must have done, as he hadn't bothered to mask himself at all. But I couldn't give them a useful description at all - about the only thing I could remember was the logo on the guy's cap (words are easy for me to remember). When the police visited me again later with some pictures of potential suspects, I politely went through them to show that I was trying, but I couldn't even say whether any of them looked more or less similar to the person I was looking for.