Anybody here have nervous breakdowns over stupid stuff?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 5:07 pm

I just had one over something stupid. Every weekend I usually do something, and I'm use to that, well this wknd was totally different, I had nothing planned, and to make things worse my boyfriend text me saying we were going to hang out tonight, so I assumed we were, all of a sudden he changes his mind. Then my mother did the exact same thing but alittle bit different. I hate when people change their minds at the last minute. I usually don't like holidays either, just very stressful, so before and after a holiday is like hell for me, and since mothers day is this sunday ah I just lost it. Does anybody here have nervous breakdowns over stupid stuff like me?

madscientist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2007, 5:09 pm

Yes. And it's never about anything major, but ONLY the small stuff.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 5:11 pm

When my computer broke.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 5:30 pm

Your boyfriend invited your mother out on a date.

*puts on tin foil hat and grins*

madscientist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2007, 5:32 pm

Did he invite you, too? That could get interesting...

Yameretzu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2007, 5:34 pm

I cant stand people changing at he last minute I breakdown, my mother/boyfriend dont do it much anymore.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 5:51 pm

Nervous breakdown is probably too strong a word, however I can loss control of my emotions over things like losing objects, getting lost, or having problems with my computer.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 7:20 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I just had one over something stupid. Every weekend I usually do something, and I'm use to that, well this wknd was totally different, I had nothing planned, and to make things worse my boyfriend text me saying we were going to hang out tonight, so I assumed we were, all of a sudden he changes his mind. Then my mother did the exact same thing but alittle bit different. I hate when people change their minds at the last minute.

Last-minute (which means less than 24 hours ahead of time) cancellation of appt. or change to agreed-upon schedule "throws me for a loop". Even if it's desirable change (a relief), I first have to go through stage of being irked & feeling out-of-sorts, merely because now things are different.
Process of updating my default settings is time-consuming & mentally laborious. Transitions are already difficult, then having to make additional transitions because all of a sudden, one finds out that plans have changed-that's extra work. A plan provides me with expectation I didn't have until the plan was made. Once that plan is made, any change will disappoint because I've already begun preparing for the anticipated adjustment inherent in the future plan. So, if the plan is cancelled or delayed, I'm left dangling.
Someone might say, well it makes no difference because you're only back whwere you started before plan was made. Yes, but now I'm different, because just the expectation that this would happen this way this time put me in another mental state. I can't just hit some cancel/undo/revert button in my brain & start over fresh w/blank slate.
jimservo wrote:
Nervous breakdown is probably too strong a word, however I can loss control of my emotions over things like losing objects, getting lost, or having problems with my computer.

Yeah. Another reason I don't go out in public much, becuse when I get upset I want to be able to express myself w/o having to stifle & appear normal.
I don't mind the phrase "nervous breakdown", it does describe the feeling despite being not a proper clinical term. Better-sounding than tantrum or fit, since those aren't really true for me, either. So I say my nervous system seems to have broken down & become stuck/unreachable.

cowlypso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2007, 7:24 pm

Yup. I definitely lose it over little things.

Today I went shopping for bras, because they were having a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale and I had 2 coupons. I went into the store and they only had 2 in my style and size. I asked the lady about it, and she said there wasn't anything she could do there. She said she could sell me one in the wrong size and then I could exchange it at another store (many miles away, and stressful to drive to) for the right size. I asked, and they don't ship between stores, nor would they give me a raincheck for the third bra. Oh, but she did offer that I could "just pick out a different style." Yeah, right! I finally just had to say forget it, left the two bras there, and fought back tears all the way to my car.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2007, 7:28 pm

I get really frustrated when people don't follow up with what they say, even if it is trivial.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 7:51 pm

OMGpenguin wrote:
I get really frustrated when people don't follow up with what they say, even if it is trivial.

That, too. I used to have all sorts of painful misunderstood occasions when people said things like "I'll call/write/see you soon"-though they never did.
Only recently have I read about this dx, never knew what I was missing while growing up & no one could tell me. Still can't determine when people are "just" saying the words/going through the social motions, vs. when they're being authentic/realistic in their appraisals of self & others.

I've learned to resist the urge to seem polite & saying I'd contact someone or do something somewhere. I don't want to disappoint people the way they've done to me, don't want to lie for sake of seeming nice, agreeable, and cooperative. Sure, I'm kinda' direct or harsh, but I apologize & explain a lot to try to make up for it. So, I don't say I'll be in touch with people or commit to future activities. I still feel torn & conflicted, but I try to remind myself how I prefer to be disliked right away, because it'll happen sooner or later. That I'd rather be honest, admit my faults & my lack of interest in other person or plan-instead of saying what I feel I'm supposed to.
cowlypso wrote:
Yup. I definitely lose it over little things.
Today I went shopping for bras, because they were having a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale and I had 2 coupons. I went into the store and they only had 2 in my style and size. I asked the lady about it, and she said there wasn't anything she could do there. She said she could sell me one in the wrong size and then I could exchange it at another store (many miles away, and stressful to drive to) for the right size. I asked, and they don't ship between stores, nor would they give me a raincheck for the third bra. Oh, but she did offer that I could "just pick out a different style." Yeah, right! I finally just had to say forget it, left the two bras there, and fought back tears all the way to my car.

First of all, shopping for bras drives me totally crazy, can barely ever force myself to do it. The rest of the situation does sound like type of experiences I've had, as well as how I'd react. I empathize, I've been (and will return, alas) "there". Shopping tends to bring out the worst in me, the least functional (or most uncomfortably self-conscious) level.
I like looking at things, but I don't like people looking at me or around/nearby. Making decisions about what to buy is hard, esp. when nothing ever seems to fit/look/feel quite right.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 8:31 pm

I have breakdowns sometimes. They don't happen as often as they used to, but they still happen.

calibaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2007, 8:46 pm

yes... things like when my family goes out to get take in food and brings me nothing. although i am allergic and can't eat it, it would be nice if they asked if i wanted anything rather than just assuming.

And When my aunt knows I can't have 1 brand of sodas so I ask for a different one, and she buys the brand i am allergic to. :roll: this happens almost weekly.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 10:35 pm

Yes, every single time my internet doesn't connect, and also when my laptop goes down. Nightmare for me.
Also when my housemates make a lot of noise or anyone turns up unannounced when I am doing my own thing.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 10:37 pm

I just get annoyed and agravatted when my internet doesn't work...
I get all shaky and edgy. when i can't find something I really want I get freaked out and think someone took it

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 10:54 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Yes, every single time my internet doesn't connect, and also when my laptop goes down. Nightmare for me.
Also when my housemates make a lot of noise or anyone turns up unannounced when I am doing my own thing.

Whenever my internet doesn't work or my mum kicks me off the computer, I throw a tantrum. I also hate when my brother makes a lot of noise in his bedroom because it's right next to mine. He sometimes plays music at a really low volume, but I can still hear the beat and it drives me crazy. I also hate when there are no clean dishes and I either have to wait for the dishwasher to finish cleaning them, or clean them in the sink. I'd rather eat nothing. I sometimes get really pissed off at something that someone just says, even if it's not really offensive. I also get angry much more quickly if I am hungry or tired.