Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

morimori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2016, 8:01 pm

I was recently diagnosed with autism, and the clinician in charge of my testing remarked on how remarkable/amazing/superior my fine motor skills were.

I'm sort of freaking out right now, wondering if they were wrong to diagnose me with autism if my fine motor skills are really that great.

Help.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 8:08 pm

You can be Autistic and have great fine motor skills. I have excellent fine motor skills.

As far as I remember, lacking in fine motor skills is not a requirement for Autism.

I just looked at the DSM 5 diagnostic criteria for Autism. I did not see anything in there about fine motor skills at all. I could have missed it but I did not see it.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 04 Nov 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

morimori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2016, 8:13 pm

skibum wrote:
You can be Autistic and have great fine motor skills. I have excellent fine motor skills.

As far as I remember, lacking in fine motor skills is not a requirement for Autism.

Thank you for this reply and assurance.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 8:22 pm

You are very welcome. I edited my above post since I just checked the diagnostic criteria. I saw nothing in it about fine motor skills.

Your therapist might just be used to seeing Autistic people who happen to have that trouble. But if she is referring to your diagnosis, it seems like an ignorant thing to say.

Wreck It Ralph