Geeknes, nerdnes and asperger syndrome?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,739
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

07 Nov 2016, 5:21 am

i wonder how many so called nerd and geeks or as we call in Poland Kojon (kujony in in plural form ;) ) or botans as i learned from my Russian aspie friend who is also member of this forum :mrgreen: are russian word for Nerds :mrgreen:

So i wonder how many people which can be considered nerds (with their own special interest in science and so on) are also aspies but their not get their own certificate of weirdness from psychologist or psychiatrist :mrgreen:

I'm like to watch vlogs dedicated to astronomy, astrophysics and also astronautics, oh and computer science too.

for example now i'm subscribing on YouTube vlog of one kid, he make interesting videos about IT and home improvement, carpentry, do-you self and so on, for me he looks like he was from our apsergerian brotherhood [like the assassin brotherhood] :mrgreen:


And Ator[Real name Krzysztof Woźniak] on of most subscribed vloger in Poland, he once created let's play videos but switched to political commentaries and conspiracies theories, BTW he is right-winger, some jokes that he's a Polish Alex Jones
here you have one of his videos

I wonder does he is an aspie? :D

My point here is that not everyone with Asperger's Syndrome, have negative symptoms of Asperger's, but have the same positive signs as increased IQ and so on :mrgreen:



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,275
Location: temperate zone

07 Nov 2016, 5:56 am

Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.



GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 148
Location: UK

07 Nov 2016, 8:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.


Pretty sure you know the last line is wrong and pretty unprovable ;-)



pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,739
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

07 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.


And what do you think about this kid in the first cutscene, he says that you can log on to Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, on a password protected account without a password using the command line CMD, I did not know, I always thought that as we forgot passwords for Windows, this is the end of the world, and only option remains is C: \ FORMAT :(
Does this kid look aspie for you?



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,107
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

07 Nov 2016, 1:13 pm

I'm very far from being a nerd or a geek. I'm more of a Sid. Chubby, cute and slow.


_________________
Mick

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,275
Location: temperate zone

07 Nov 2016, 5:51 pm

GarTog wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.


Pretty sure you know the last line is wrong and pretty unprovable ;-)


Youre right.

I should have said that "anyone who traffics in the media in conspiracy theories is EITHER (a) a paranoid schzophrenic, or (b) is cynically exploiting that conditions in his listeners because he is a sociopath.

So its sociopath, or psycho, but in neither case would it be a symptom of autism.



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,948
Location: my own little world

07 Nov 2016, 5:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm very far from being a nerd or a geek. I'm more of a Sid. Chubby, cute and slow.
I'm with you Shultzy (except for the Sid part.) I have no geek genes in me. :D


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


Last edited by skibum on 07 Nov 2016, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,294
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

07 Nov 2016, 5:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
GarTog wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.


Pretty sure you know the last line is wrong and pretty unprovable ;-)


Youre right.

I should have said that "anyone who traffics in the media in conspiracy theories is EITHER (a) a paranoid schzophrenic, or (b) is cynically exploiting that conditions in his listeners because he is a sociopath.

So its sociopath, or psycho, but in neither case would it be a symptom of autism.


Regular people can buy into conspiracy theories to I am pretty sure, I think mass hysteria is an example of that sort of thing.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,275
Location: temperate zone

07 Nov 2016, 6:38 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.


And what do you think about this kid in the first cutscene, he says that you can log on to Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, on a password protected account without a password using the command line CMD, I did not know, I always thought that as we forgot passwords for Windows, this is the end of the world, and only option remains is C: \ FORMAT :(
Does this kid look aspie for you?


I cant speak Polish. So there isnt anyway I can follow what that kid is saying. And even if I could understand him no one can diagnose someone from a film clip. Though he does look he could have been cloned from a check cell of Bill Gates.



pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,739
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

07 Nov 2016, 8:56 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the geek/nerd/dork population (on one hand), and the aspie population (on the other). But that doesnt mean that everyone in one population is also in the other. Many aspies have no special interests, or have special interests non-academic type things like baseball cards, or models of washing machines.

A person who traffics in conspiracy theories is more of a paranoid schzophrenic than an autistic.


And what do you think about this kid in the first cutscene, he says that you can log on to Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, on a password protected account without a password using the command line CMD, I did not know, I always thought that as we forgot passwords for Windows, this is the end of the world, and only option remains is C: \ FORMAT :(
Does this kid look aspie for you?


I cant speak Polish. So there isnt anyway I can follow what that kid is saying. And even if I could understand him no one can diagnose someone from a film clip. Though he does look he could have been cloned from a check cell of Bill Gates.


Lol :mrgreen:
I think the same kid look like younger version of Bill Gates :D



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,393
Location: Maidstone, UK

09 Nov 2016, 11:06 am

I'm not a nerd at all.

I'm more wimpy.

And I like the countryside, like a hillbilly, although I speak cockney.

My interests have never been nerdy. My interests (not exactly special interests) are Arriva (a bus company), British humour, social interaction, country lifestyle, the Simpsons/South Park/Inbetweeners/Outnumbered, creepy stuff, British politics, and writing stories about families or creepypastas.

Most of that revolves around people. The special interests I've had in the past were certain people I knew of.

My interest with a bus company does not involve memorising bus routes or knowing every last detail of the buses. The interest is basically about the people that operate the buses, and my boyfriend is one of them. Obviously that is NOT the reason why I love him. It just so happens that I am dating a bus-driver from my favourite bus company.


_________________
Female
Aged 30
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,820
Location: Torchwood Three

09 Nov 2016, 11:21 am

I'm probably a geek and/or a nerd. I'm okay with it. I identify with the label "fangirl" more than anything else :D


_________________
"Have you never seen something so mad, so extraordinary... That just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?" -Gwen Cooper, Torchwood


whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,336
Location: Finland

10 Nov 2016, 5:40 am

I like to think of myself as a music & video game nerd. Those two things are very dear hobbies of mine, and my interest in both subjects is deeper than a bottomless pit. I keep wanting to discover more and possess more knowledge of anything and everything remotely related to music and video games.


_________________
“They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.”
― Kurt Cobain