Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,031
Location: USA

26 Nov 2016, 7:52 pm

Please understand in this post that when I refer to "people" I am not meaning all people. Feel free to add things you don't understand as well. I welcome your experiences on the matter.

*I don't understand why people find it necessary to sing along with the radio when there are other people in the car that want to listen to the song the way it was recorded and not with the additional vocal.

*I don't understand why people nowadays find it necessary to constantly be texting, doing Ipad stuff, or other social media and game stuff while watching television, eating, driving "aghhh!", going to the bathroom, while in bed when they should be sleeping, etc.

*I don't understand why people slurp loudly when they eat soup when I can eat soup quietly.

*I don't understand why people need constant noise from television, radio, computer stuff, etc. during times when having silence would be fine. Even grocery stores and doctors' offices find it necessary to play music all the time.

Sorry for the rant. But I get mentally fatigued that people around me cannot just sit without these distracting devices. I need a quiet room where I can work on my literary projects.


_________________
"My journey has just begun."


FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jun 2016
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 608

26 Nov 2016, 7:59 pm

On the music in doctors' offices comment, music if often used to provide privacy to those within the consultation rooms, as it serves to mask sounds and prevent those in the waiting room from hearing the patient and doctor's conversations. I prefer silence, though.


_________________
Diagnosed: Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 without accompanying language impairment
I find it easiest to connect with people through the medium of fandoms, and enjoy the feeling of solidarity.
Too often, people say things they don't mean, and mean things they don't say.


Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,143
Location: New Orleans, LA

26 Nov 2016, 8:51 pm

Texting, iPad, etc... Humans are social creatures, intrinsically. They are descended from primates. Primates NEED to have social contact... it's hard coded into them.


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,092
Location: Pacific Northwest

26 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

I don't understand why people get upset when they hear someone say or write god isn't real or that religion is stupid or god or if you even say he is an imaginary creature or when you compare him to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy. Anything you say against god or religion people take offense to. I also don't understand why some religious parents feel threatened when their own children don't follow their religion or believe in it.

I don't understand why people think rules don't apply to them.

I don't understand why people practically put everything on Facebook like their day and their trip than coming back home and then telling their friends and family about it like the way it's always been. Now it's like they have nothing to tell them about because they already know about their trip or their day

I don't understand why some parents see their kids as part of them so they answer questions for their children like they are incapable.

I don't understand why people continue reading things or listening to someone who ticks them off, especially if they don't like them.

I don't understand why bosses forbid their workers listening to music on the job

I don't understand why it's anyone business how someone lives their life and people who do the hiring are unable to separate personal life and work life so they think how a person spends their personal time or what they eat or how late they go to bed or how late they sleep in, what they wear, etc. is how they will always be for work as if they don't know about home behavior and work behavior

I don't understand why people love to play their music so loudly and have bass on so loud


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 251
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

26 Nov 2016, 10:09 pm

I don't understand why the US elected a complete bigot as president. But like anything else I don't understand, it happens anyway.


_________________
Prof-Diagnosed: Aspergers Syndrome (I still call it that!), Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia
Self-diagnosed: ADHD-PI, Social Anxiety, Depression
Treatment: 5-HTP, Ginkgo Biloba, Omega-3, Pro-Biotics, Multi Vitamin, Magnesium


the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,489
Location: up from the ashes

26 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm

glider18 wrote:
Please understand in this post that when I refer to "people" I am not meaning all people. Feel free to add things you don't understand as well. I welcome your experiences on the matter.

*I don't understand why people find it necessary to sing along with the radio when there are other people in the car that want to listen to the song the way it was recorded and not with the additional vocal.


Guilty as charged, I like to sing along sometimes ... :oops: ... it's because I'm expressing how happy the song makes me feel. That said, I don't do this often, actually it's kind of rare ... and if it bothered people, I would stop.

glider18 wrote:
*I don't understand why people nowadays find it necessary to constantly be texting, doing Ipad stuff, or other social media and game stuff while watching television, eating, driving "aghhh!", going to the bathroom, while in bed when they should be sleeping, etc.

*I don't understand why people slurp loudly when they eat soup when I can eat soup quietly.


People nowadays have a tendency to be really self-absorbed. Sometimes downright rude or narcissistic.

glider18 wrote:
*I don't understand why people need constant noise from television, radio, computer stuff, etc. during times when having silence would be fine. Even grocery stores and doctors' offices find it necessary to play music all the time.

Sorry for the rant. But I get mentally fatigued that people around me cannot just sit without these distracting devices. I need a quiet room where I can work on my literary projects.


I hate the constant noise, too. I can see the point that was made about providing privacy in a doctor's office. I've also heard that music is used to provide "space" for people in public places, to create a sort of distance or barrier or buffer so they won't start getting into territorial arguments that might ensue if there were nothing to distract them.

But yeah. Bring on the quiet, please!

...



Last edited by the_phoenix on 26 Nov 2016, 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,092
Location: Pacific Northwest

26 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm

Fraser_1990 wrote:
I don't understand why the US elected a complete bigot as president. But like anything else I don't understand, it happens anyway.



LOL I used to wonder the same. It's because he is a businessman so people think he will run our country good and because they also fear Muslims thinking they're all terrorists and because they don't believe the other stuff about him and think those were all just lies CNN had been sprouting. Also even if they are aware, it's because they think he will make our country stronger and fix the economy and humans are selfish creatures so they only care about how something will affect them, not how the minority will be affected if he won president. Plus people don't think the stuff he has said he really meant it so they think the anti Trump supporters are taking him too literal.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Age: 25
Posts: 865
Location: Missouri

26 Nov 2016, 10:30 pm

I don't understand politeness wars. These happen all the time on my mom's side of the family and it pisses me off to no end. Yesterday, my mom bought my grandma a new TV, and my grandma said "No, you shouldn't have," and my mom said "Well, you needed one," and my grandma said, "Well I can't accept this" and of course in the end she kept the TV. I don't understand these. You're not going to refuse a gift someone gives you, so why all this pretext about not wanting it when you actually do? The same thing goes with any sort of chores. "Oh, I'll do it." "No no, you sit down, I'll do it." "NO, let me do it." Blah blah blah. Pointless. If somebody offers to pay for something for me, I'm letting them! There's no telling how much money I could save over the course of a few years by not saying "NO LET ME PAY FOR IT!"



Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 251
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

26 Nov 2016, 10:39 pm

League_Girl wrote:
LOL I used to wonder the same. It's because he is a businessman so people think he will run our country good and because they also fear Muslims thinking they're all terrorists and because they don't believe the other stuff about him and think those were all just lies CNN had been sprouting. Also even if they are aware, it's because they think he will make our country stronger and fix the economy and humans are selfish creatures so they only care about how something will affect them, not how the minority will be affected if he won president. Plus people don't think the stuff he has said he really meant it so they think the anti Trump supporters are taking him too literal.


They're all businessmen. The purpose of all politicians these days are to cooperate with big business and shape policy to promote neoliberal capitalism at the detriment of the regular working class.

I just find it astonishing that people think that a multi billionaire tycoon who has built his fortunes through the system will be the person to change that system for the better of the many. He is pro-establishment in every sense of the word. He's already trying to backtrack on his controversial comments regarding Mexicans, Muslims, African Americans and anybody else that isn't Donald Trump. In terms on the economy itself, I can only see it rotting even further under his leadership as he continues to push the same failed agenda that every other previous government did before him.

Sorry to go off topic like that....


_________________
Prof-Diagnosed: Aspergers Syndrome (I still call it that!), Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia
Self-diagnosed: ADHD-PI, Social Anxiety, Depression
Treatment: 5-HTP, Ginkgo Biloba, Omega-3, Pro-Biotics, Multi Vitamin, Magnesium


IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,114
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

27 Nov 2016, 7:51 am

I can't call them "people" because they're so devoid of feeling, but I can't understand those who are cruel to animals or make fun of people with disabilities.

I can't understand crazy drivers, distracted drivers and drunk drivers.



Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 519
Location: wrong universe

27 Nov 2016, 8:58 am

Further to the previous post, I don't understand why drunk people act in a savage, barbaric manner as whenever i'm drunk I have full control over my impulses and body.



Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 81
Location: Ferndale, MI

27 Nov 2016, 9:52 am

Oh, my but I have a lot of these. I could fill a book with these. I'll post my favorite I don't know why, though:

I don't understand why some people talk to me about super personal things and we don't know each other...at all. I work in a doctor's office and that happens a lot. People tell me the most incredibly personal things - and I'm not talking about medical stuff, because that's a given. That's my job. I once had a woman tell me (while laughing because apparently this was a funny thing) that she hadn't had sex in seven years. Given that that was completely off script for me, I had no response. I just stared at her like a deer in headlights.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,114
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

27 Nov 2016, 12:48 pm

I agree. People are all too willing to tell things that ought to be kept private.



redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,009
Location: Seattle, WA

27 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm

<--- Guilty of singing along to bands at concerts.
<--- Not guilty of flooding the internet with useless photos or videos of babies and cats doing absolutely normal sh*t.

<--- Tries his best to not slurp loudly.
<--- Loses his sh*t when he hears people loudly smacking their mouth when eating food, though.

<--- Can't understand why people INSIST on dragging their babies to libraries when they KNOW the little rugrats are going to start screaming somewhere along the way.

<--- Can't understand why people need to talk on the f*cking phone in the library when there's all that wonderful outdoor space they can utilize.

<--- Can't understand why people say, "Have a good day" they they can't possibly guarantee it.

<--- Can't understand how people blindly cross the street while staring down at their cellphones without getting hit by a crosstown bus.

<--- Can't understand why people CAMP OUT in front of stores, waiting for them to open, so they could be the first on their block to own the new $200 pair of sneakers or $60 XBox game.

<--- Can't understand why ANYONE would spend more than $50 on a pair of sneakers or pants or shirt.

<--- Can't understand why anyone would buy digital music or movies when you can just torrent them for free.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,092
Location: Pacific Northwest

27 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

<--- Can't understand why people INSIST on dragging their babies to libraries when they KNOW the little rugrats are going to start screaming somewhere along the way.


Because parents want to go there and read or check out a book and they can't be bothered to get a babysitter or because they can't afford one and library is their only entertainment for books. At least it doesn't cost money to check out a book or movie or CD.


Quote:
<--- Can't understand why people CAMP OUT in front of stores, waiting for them to open, so they could be the first on their block to own the new $200 pair of sneakers or $60 XBox game.


I always think they're nuts. I don't need one now and I can wait. Why is this not a mental disorder? Oh right, this only happens every few years so it's not enough for it to impact their lives and they probably use their vacation time to do this.

Quote:
<--- Can't understand why ANYONE would spend more than $50 on a pair of sneakers or pants or shirt.


I once spent $45 on a pair of Mario shoes for my son and the original price was $60 but it was on sale and they knocked down the price more because of a broken zipped on the back heel. I did wish I hand't gotten those because they are a pain to put on. My son really loves Mario and I thought they were going to be a waste of money because he will just grow out of them so I bought a pair a size bigger for him so they will fit him and I figured he will wear them out before he outgrows them. Now I mostly refuse to put them on because they take too long. Buyer's remorse.

Quote:
<--- Can't understand why anyone would buy digital music or movies when you can just torrent them for free.


Because of viruses and I can't afford to get a virus on my computer and I don't want to have a big credit card bill for having my viruses removed and I don't trust that my paid virus protection will keep out viruses because I have still gotten them on my computer before in the past even with the program. I just try to watch movies for free on Netflix or on youtube or anywhere else online I can find or On Demand. Wait none of these are free because I have to pay for all of them. I don't buy music anymore because I mostly hear a song on youtube now. Also I don't want to put any viruses on my external hard drive. Plus it's all illegal.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 81
Location: Ferndale, MI

28 Nov 2016, 11:35 am

You know what I've found interesting about the "I don't understand why's" is that I don't think I'll ever *really* understand why - even if I managed to find reasons. I'm with Redrobin (and most of you) with why people do that things they do and even when I know why, I just don't get it.

Like, for example, I know that the one patient was probably just wanting to make a connection with me by telling me she hadn't gotten laid in seven years. Knowing that doesn't help me understand, though. I'm like why? What about me makes her think that I would find her lack of sex life interesting? Or better, yet, why bother seeking a connection with me of all people? Was it something I said? Was it something in the way I look? Do I appear to be someone who gives a rat's ass about her personal life? Is she this way with EVERYONE she meets or is it just meet and if so, why???

Most things I just shake my head and go zen about it. That's just how people are...which is ironic because I don't see how that makes me the strange one when it comes down to it.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)