I'm a newly diagnosed adult on the spectrum. Now what?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

maverickbna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2016, 10:47 pm

I'm a 33 year old adult that was just diagnosed last year on the spectrum. My DSM-IV diagnosis would be either high functioning autism or Asperger syndrome. I'm also currently under the care of the University of Washington Adult Autism Clinic.

I received referrals to speech therapy and vocational rehab and am receiving help from both of those.

Are there any other treatments that I should look into? Any resources you would recommend? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the resources out there, and I'm not sure what to consult with, what my Google search terms should be, and the types of questions I should ask from my doctors and counselors.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated. Have a happy holidays.

Seattle, USA
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maverickbna

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 10:15 am

Hate to tell you, I am jealous as hell you get speech therapy. My husband could really use that, and there is absolutely NOBODY who will work with level I austim people, even if we would private pay. Insurance will absolutely not pay for it.

Grab everything you can get and try it out. My husband was diagnosed, and the only thing that was offered was CBT. He had a job, so no help there.

You are VERY VERY lucky. Most newly diagnosed adults get squat. Maybe some help with depression or social anxiety, but that's it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 11:39 am

Yes, you are lucky to get speech therapy. People judge you so much by the way you talk--you should spend a lot of time on that while it available to you. Practice in short sessions throughout the day--you will benefit greatly if you put in the work.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

I discovered that I'm on the spectrum at the age of 45. The only help I was able to find is a councilor that specializes in children with Asperger's. She was absolutely amazed when she tried to search for adult help and only found help for children. Apparently we are automatically cured at the age of 18. (sarcasm intended)

maverickbna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2016, 12:58 pm

I have a Level 2 impairment in social communication, and Level 1 in restricted/repetitive behaviors. Although having speech therapy is great, Washington Medicaid (called Apple Health in Washington state) only covers 5 speech therapy visits a year. At least the speech therapy is through the University of Washington - they have one of the best medical schools in the country.

Yeah, I'm really annoyed that there aren't any adult treating providers anywhere. You're right - apparently we are cured at age 18 or 21 to some people.

I also shot off an email to my diagnosing clinician to see if he has any resources for treatments.

I am running out of ideas on where to look for help. Thanks for all the kind responses.

Seattle, USA

maverickbna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2016, 1:01 pm

One thing that I haven't mentioned is that I am a medical marijuana patient due to chronic pain, and smoking a bowl a few times a day really helps with my anxiety - it works great as a social lubricant, making me more outgoing and emboldened to go out and talk to other people. It doesn't really impair my motor skills that much, just a little bit, like drinking one or two beers. Nothing dangerous.

Seattle, USA