Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:48 pm

I can't go anywhere by myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:00 pm

I have no choice but to go places by myself, as I know nobody who will accompany me.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I have no choice but to go places by myself, as I know nobody who will accompany me.

That's often my case so I'm stuck at home.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:57 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

if I could stay home and have stuff delivered to me, i'd never leave the house. alas, no such luck, so I am forced to go places to obtain living supplies. also I do like going to the beach now and then and by god, i'll go and enjoy myself there no matter if anybody else wants to go with me or not.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 7:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

if I could stay home and have stuff delivered to me, i'd never leave the house. alas, no such luck, so I am forced to go places to obtain living supplies. also I do like going to the beach now and then and by god, i'll go and enjoy myself there no matter if anybody else wants to go with me or not.

It's not some sort of glorious thing like that. Sometimes I'd like to go places but I can't. At least you can go to the beach. I'm about 5 miles away I could take a cab or paratransit bus right? No, because I need supervision and protection.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 7:53 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's not some sort of glorious thing like that. Sometimes I'd like to go places but I can't. At least you can go to the beach. I'm about 5 miles away I could take a cab or paratransit bus right? No, because I need supervision and protection.

i'm sorry. that was my situation before the army. I was pretty much a deer in the headlights. I still am but have just enough toughness/presence of mind to avoid dangerous situations, learned the hard way in the school of hard knocks. the most important thing I was taught, was fear. when I was young I had no fear, just a sort of continual dumbfoundedness, and ended up in situations that coulda killed me. fear is my only protection.

autlander
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2018, 2:21 am

livingwithautism wrote:

Sounds terrible to me. I prefer being on my own, so I would go mad if someone would be arround me 24/7.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 3:04 am

autlander wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

Sounds terrible to me. I prefer being on my own, so I would go mad if someone would be arround me 24/7.

I can be on my own at home, just not in the community. I prefer being on my own as well.

DanielLee888
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2019, 9:46 am

Honestly I don't, just by my town, not further. I love to check different travels blogs and blogs dedicated to tourism, but I travel with my parents rather often, about 3-4 times a year.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:41 pm

When I was in college, I took the train from San Diego to Roseville. Watermark. Alone

Went on a couple of bike rides over 100 miles. Motel alone

But I am not going to do that now

Cowardly, broke, apathetic, lethargic

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 2:38 am

In general I prefer to be alone and that includes traveling. In college days I hitched from Illinois to Wyoming and around Europe. Made long driving trips over the years. Canoed alone in a variety of states and Sweden. Last summer drove from Florida to Quebec and back with a 12 day solo canoe trip in between.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 6:57 am

I am a 110 (and counting) pound, 36 years old autistic woman

To feel comfortable somewhere new, I want someone heavier, smarter, and socially adept with me

Paranoid rape, whatever

Vulnerable

But "most people" do not want to be with me

And for that amount of time

Without hiring $$$$

And no $$ to do so

Nowhere I really want to go

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 4:13 pm

I cycled for 3000 miles alone, I took a tent and tried to find quiet places to stop and eat.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 4:28 pm

I drive alone quite happily (hundreds of miles if needed) and I fly alone for many international trips. Travelling alone is nice because I don't have to make conversation on the journey. I usually stay with a relative or someone I know at my destination, so I won't be bored longer term.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 4:59 pm

I have managed to find some wonderful, free, private places to camp. It is harder to hide with a car than a bicycle, but my favourite was from reading an old map showing a picnic area on a rural road. It was near sunset, and I'd passed the entrance, but realized where it was because the rest of the road was devoid of geographical interest. I went back and found a semi-overgrown driveway, leading to a loop road with the remains of two outhouses. I parked discreetly, and was not noticed by an amorous couple who arrived shortly after by motorcycle for a quick tryst.

Once, I was travelling with a friend, and we both wanted to visit a specialty store before starting the day's drive. I'd have saved an hour if I'd stopped to let him pour some coffee in first.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 7:06 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I have managed to find some wonderful, free, private places to camp. It is harder to hide with a car than a bicycle, but my favourite was from reading an old map showing a picnic area on a rural road. It was near sunset, and I'd passed the entrance, but realized where it was because the rest of the road was devoid of geographical interest. I went back and found a semi-overgrown driveway, leading to a loop road with the remains of two outhouses. I parked discreetly, and was not noticed by an amorous couple who arrived shortly after by motorcycle for a quick tryst.

Once, I was travelling with a friend, and we both wanted to visit a specialty store before starting the day's drive. I'd have saved an hour if I'd stopped to let him pour some coffee in first.

I remember those days, finding nooks and crannies or a farmers field. No car to hide if one is hitching. :D I'm not sure those places exist much anymore.