I need help reading this chart, can any NTs assist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2016, 3:02 am

I wrongly assumed my NT family members would be helpful so I need an NT from this website to help me naming these expressions.

https://postimg.org/image/lqivyc5b3/

Much appreciated.

BlankReg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2016, 3:49 pm

Creepy...all of them.

Sorry if that's not really a help but I'm terrible at this too.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 3:58 pm

I don't know the context for this chart. It looks like it might be something in a research study.

If you were being tested on ability to read facial expressions, more likely than not you would be given a face and a multiple-choice response option. You would probably do better than you think, but not as well as NTs.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2016, 5:37 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I don't know the context for this chart. It looks like it might be something in a research study.

If you were being tested on ability to read facial expressions, more likely than not you would be given a face and a multiple-choice response option. You would probably do better than you think, but not as well as NTs.

I've done the one by Simon but the test is worthless because I've memorized all of them. I tried some other one online and got about half right, same with the voice battery test. I know it's near impossible to read faces in real life though. I either don't see the expression at all or its too difficult to watch someones facial movements and listen to them at the same time.

And yeah, it is creepy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

Thats about fifty facial expressions. All of them looked forced (real spontaneous emotional expressions differ slightly from forced expressions). Some seem to be combinations of more than one emotion. If any of us had the patience we would could probably label most,or all of them. But thats a lot labeling to do.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2016, 7:55 pm

I find the usual tests of reading facial expressions are too artificial, since they give only four possible choices and some can usually be ruled out rather trivially since they are obviously wrong. And some quizzes show only the eyes, which I don't feel comfortable looking at anyway.

It would be much more realistic to give a large bank of pictures of a single person, like the 49 pictures in this example, and then give an extensive set of choices (the same set of options for all 49 pictures, covering the whole gamut of possibilities). But unless one were also familiar with what that person's "natural" default expression was when not feeling any strong emotion, it seems to me it would be difficult to even begin answering the questions.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 8:12 pm

I think the columns are all the same expression, and only differ along the rows.

So I'm guessing (any row, left to right)...

1. Neutral
2. Thoughtful
3. Bad Smell
4. Creepy-Happy
5. Unimpressed
6. Slightly nauseated
7. Sneezing in 3..2..1..

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 8:26 pm

1) I'm not an NT.
2) It would be fun to try this, but it would be far easier if they were labelled, even with a simple numbering system.
3) Can anyone read the facial expressions below?

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

Interesting; I hadn't spotted the similarities within each column, until you pointed it out. But to me, any one of columns 1, 5, 6 or 7 could easily be the "neutral" expression. Maybe column 2 also. Only columns 3 and 4, to me, seem like obviously expressing a strong emotion; of displeasure and pleasure respectively.

I am reminded of the "emoticons for aspies":

http://laughinghelps2.blogspot.com/2013 ... ffect.html

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 9:02 pm

strings wrote:
Interesting; I hadn't spotted the similarities within each column, until you pointed it out. But to me, any one of columns 1, 5, 6 or 7 could easily be the "neutral" expression. Maybe column 2 also. Only columns 3 and 4, to me, seem like obviously expressing a strong emotion; of displeasure and pleasure respectively.

I am reminded of the "emoticons for aspies":

http://laughinghelps2.blogspot.com/2013 ... ffect.html

I agree with your assessment too. I'm not really sure if they're trying to convey specific emotions (happy, sad, angry) or expressions as a response to anything in particular. I think I usually do pretty well with reading faces, but these are pretty nebulous to me.

I also noticed that in column 3, all the faces' noses are curved slightly to one direction making this the only universally, intentionally asymmetrical expression on the board. I'm not really sure of the significance, but found it interesting.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 12:39 am

Exuvian wrote:
I think the columns are all the same expression, and only differ along the rows.

So I'm guessing (any row, left to right)...

1. Neutral
2. Thoughtful
3. Bad Smell
4. Creepy-Happy
5. Unimpressed
6. Slightly nauseated
7. Sneezing in 3..2..1..

They are definitely NOT the same vertically, or horizontally. But they are progressive variations on a theme vertically (similar but not the same).Look closely.

In the vertical columns they seem to to have the same basic theme (a sneer, or a smile, or sadness).

But across in the horizontal rows they seem to have the same variation on that theme.

At the top they all have low eye brows. At the bottom high peeked eye brows.

So at the top the smile (4th column) has a resolute look (not sure what it means), but at the bottom the smile is combined with the high eye brows to give the guy that excessively wide eyed smile that a parent will have when interacting with a baby.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2016, 10:54 am

What?? Haha can ANYONE reliably identify these expressions without some sort of prompt/ context clue??

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2016, 10:59 am

I would say that most of those facial expressions appear unnatural and aren't expressions you would expect to come across in the real world. For example, that very first expression doesn't tell me anything about that persons motives. Their eyes seem to say one thing but their mouth something else.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 11:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
They are definitely NOT the same vertically, or horizontally. But they are progressive variations on a theme vertically (similar but not the same).Look closely.

In the vertical columns they seem to to have the same basic theme (a sneer, or a smile, or sadness).

But across in the horizontal rows they seem to have the same variation on that theme.

At the top they all have low eye brows. At the bottom high peeked eye brows.

So at the top the smile (4th column) has a resolute look (not sure what it means), but at the bottom the smile is combined with the high eye brows to give the guy that excessively wide eyed smile that a parent will have when interacting with a baby.

Hehe, wow I think you may be right. I didn't even notice until now, but I think the faces are all the same person! So much for my "I'm pretty good at faces" idea. :P

Have any '100% NTs' weighed in on this yet?