Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2016, 8:52 pm

Hi guys. I'm looking for ear plug recommendations. Ideally, I'd like some electronic ones, that basically will filter out the extraneous noise. Not block out all noise completely, but sort of like an anti-hearing aid. This might not exist, I haven't done much research, but I figured I'd start here. Links would be helpful to any products you recommend.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 9:24 pm

I don't know if it quite fits what you're looking for (definitely not electronic), but I've used "http://downbeats.com/" from time-to-time. I just like that they're fairly cheap for reusables and are always right there on my key-ring. They cut the shrill frequencies that bug me, but I can still hear most things in the environment.

Since it's fairly specific for me, I usually just suffer through it until whatever it is goes away unless it's a constant irritant (longer than a minute). I know not everyone has that "luxury" though.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 9:30 pm

Products aimed toward shooters would work… I suggest these ear plugs, I used them when working in a factory with no complaints. They have electronic ear protection that will filter out harmful noise and amplify voices, I never used them.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... 44410.aspx

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm

I've been through many types of earplug - but no electronic ones, unfortunately for the purposes of the question - and my overall winners so far are easily Sleepsoft earplugs made by Alpine. They have the best balance of noise attenuation to comfort by miles of those I've tried (for sleeping, that is. But I think I'll trying wearing them elsewhere soon). I can keep these in for hours without itching or heating up my ear canals, and their design includes a filtered channel which doesn't completely isolate you from sound (so if somebody opens a door nearby etc. you'll probably be aware, but only quietly). Cheaper models often have the same channel design but I found in other brands it generally had next to no filtering effect, so reduced sound only minimally.

3M Peltor ear-defenders are pretty excellent, too, if a bit bulky. Very bulky.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 1:44 am

I tried ear plugs for a few weeks when I studied and worked in the past and had enough of noise and putting up a facade of acting as though I wasn't affected by the immense load processing auditory information dumps on me, I started trying to blockade it when these ruffians from across the street started throwing parties when I was studying for exams and working in my spare time, they disturbed me at random times and sent me into feral rages which became more and more draining and problematic. Every pair of ear plugs I tried were absolutely useless as my sensitivity to noise is severe, they kept falling out too. I thought I was just nuts and over reacting until I discovered I was autistic a long time after I realized I flip out with any invasive, sudden or infuriating sound pinching and prodding my ears. I started wearing headphones blasting white noise constantly when ear plugs failed to produce a suitable barrier, I've done that ever since, I would consider killing myself if I had no way to block excessive noise out.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 6:47 am

I recommend you look into musician earplugs. Those are quite literally "anti hearing-aides", which reduce the volume of everything with only minimal distortion of the relative levels; i think these are exactly what you want to use, minus the 'electric' bit. (i use them myself)

As a sidenote, i also recommend to use such aides as little as you can, since overuse can turn into dependency, which means they lose effectiveness (similar to what happens if you take an aspirine every day; you then need two once you really have a headace)