Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:44 am

Mum tells of pride after Danny's organs help save five people's lives

Quote:
Danny Tozer, 36, from Elvington, died unexpectedly last year after suffering an epileptic seizure at his assisted living house in Bishopthorpe.

The decision was made that Danny’s organs would be donated and they have since gone on to offer a new chance at life to five people.

A 13-year-old girl was able to receive a heart transplant, a man in his 30s received a kidney transplant, a woman in her 20s with severe diabetes received a pancreas and kidney transplant, a woman received a liver transplant and an older man with a family was given a lung transplant.

Danny’s parents, Rosemary and Tim, have accepted the Order of St John award for Organ Donation, on behalf of their son.

What was that about Autistic people having zero empathy again?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 4:08 am

I think we all know the deal with ASD and empathy. There's huge amounts, and in fact people with ASD are capable of complex thoughts and all that as well, we just lack communication to show it. I feel deeply for many people, especially those injured in a physical way that I can see. I just don't know what to do, especially if someone comes to me for help, I give them advice I think will help them and I end up hurting them more and I'm left confused and them angry, so I really don't know what to do haha.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 8:15 am

For me, I think it's like this:
I feel empathy, but don't know how to communicate it. As a result, I'm confused, and unconciously turn off any feeling of empathy so I can avoid something escalating.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 9:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
What was that about Autistic people having zero empathy again?

How many more threads do we need about something that no-one (of any importance) thinks or has said?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 10:24 am

Exactly. It seems as though the only tool some people were given in life was a hammer, so they treat everything like a nail, especially this Autism/ASD=no empathy thing. Under those circumstances, I can imagine that any empathy one might have is completely drained. A person can get worn out by hearing the same thing over and over. I can see other people's point of view, even when I disagree with it. Empathy doesn't mean agreement. I think people confuse the words "empathy" and "sympathy." When I keep hearing one thing over and over, I have very little of either.

I personally wouldn't donate my organs. I don't even think I could with the medication I take. I wouldn't want that getting into somebody else's system.