black death Plague or Ebola-like virus
Plague 89%  89%  [ 24 ]
Ebola-like virus 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

bjam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2007, 3:52 am

help me with this one was the blackdeath a Plague or Ebola-like virus?
and is it not a reaper image of this thing like a old women something plaese help me

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 4:00 am

bjam wrote:
help me with this one was the blackdeath a Plague or Ebola-like virus?
and is it not a reaper image of this thing like a old women something plaese help me

The general consensus was bubonic plague. There are some theories that say it was a filovirus (as well as a famously deadly plague in ancient Athens), but quite frankly, I dunno.

On sabbatical...

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 4:02 am

The black death was plague,

I have a picture of the reaper in ones of my notes from some lectures, he is playing a bone as a fiddle.
I do believe they used the hag to depict it as well.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 5:53 pm

I've always heard the "Black Death" used synonymously with the bubonic plague.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 6:11 pm

It certainly wasn't like Ebola. But it might have been another virus. But personally I think it was bacterial (Yersinia pestis).

Contemporary drawings and written symptoms are almost identical to what you see in classic presentation. One of the reason why is later out breaks were much smaller. As sanitation improved is easier to control. In poor countries it is more difficult.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 6:15 pm

Yes, the Black Death was most likely bubonic plague.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 6:45 pm

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:07 pm

black death was the plague was in europe early history

ebola is that more recent african virus (think it's like a micheal chriton novel or something lol)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:09 pm

Who the hell voted Ebola-like virus?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:09 pm

It was the Black Plague.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:15 pm

No, I think it was an Ebola like virus. There is new research that supports this interesting idea, the symptoms of Ebola are very similar to the middle ages description of plague. Also...

Quote:
Recent scientific and historical investigations have led some researchers to doubt the long-held belief that the Black Death was an epidemic of bubonic plague. For example, in 2000, Gunnar Karlsson (Iceland's 1100 Years: The History of a Marginal Society) pointed out that the Black Death killed between half and two-thirds of the population of Iceland, although there were no rats in Iceland at this time.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:17 pm

Diamonddavej wrote:
No, I think it was an Ebola like virus. There is new research that supports this interesting idea, the symptoms of Ebola are very similar to the middle ages description of plague. Also...

Quote:
Recent scientific and historical investigations have led some researchers to doubt the long-held belief that the Black Death was an epidemic of bubonic plague. For example, in 2000, Gunnar Karlsson (Iceland's 1100 Years: The History of a Marginal Society) pointed out that the Black Death killed between half and two-thirds of the population of Iceland, although there were no rats in Iceland at this time.

but do you even know what ebola is? it come from monkeys............ AFRICA and it was way more recent

edit: you could catch the plague by a variety of ways... other than just rats... in fact, one of the reasons it was so deteremental had more to do with high city populations (close lviving quarters) than anything else.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Bubonic and septicaemic plague are transmitted by direct contact with fleas, most notably the rat flea Xenopsylla cheopsis. The bacteria multiply inside a flea, blocking its stomach and causing it to become very hungry. The flea then voraciously bites a host and continues to feed because it is unable to satisfy its hunger. During the feeding process, infected blood carrying the plague bacteria flows from the fleas' stomachs into the open wound. The plague bacteria then has a new host, and the flea eventually dies from starvation.

The human pneumonic plague has a different form of transmission. It is transmitted through bacteria in droplets of saliva coughed up by persons with bloodstream infection (sepsis) or pneumonia, which may have started as the bubonic form of disease. The airborne bacteria may be inhaled by a nearby susceptible person, and a new infection starts directly in the lungs or throat of the other, bypassing the bubonic form of disease.

It doesn't say rats necessarily, but the fleas. It's very possible even in areas where "rats" weren't seen, that someone could have been bitten during travel of some sort or could have come into contact with someone who had it, then brought it back home to Iceland.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:34 pm

Ebola has been around or thousands of years in Africa, it is not new.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2007, 7:39 pm

bubonic plague can be spread by any animal who can be bitten by a flea or any other parasitic insect, including horses, dogs, cats, even people themselves.

THere were a few cases recently (last 15 years ago sometimes) in California where little kids were coming down with it. THey traced it back to squirrels at a local park.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:47 pm

The fleas need rodents and cannot live on other animals; they bit other animals by mistake and that way can spread disease. Other animals have partial immunity to fleas. They need rodents as a host, only then can they reproduce and multiply.