Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DrowningOutTheDarkness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 11:18 am

So when I was 10 I was diagnosed with NVLD (the symptoms are the same as AS but without the intense interests. I have intense interests though.) Anyway in the DSM 5 NVLD was taken out. I want to be rediagnosed but is it even worth it? I know I have AS at this point but my parents and teachers don't know or care. When I have brought it up they tell me I don't have AS. I just want somebody to believe me.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

I believe you....Have some of the same problem myself.

No one knows what's going on inside you better than yourself.

Good luck.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

Autism is often misdiagnosed in females--so it is more likely to be misdiagnosed if you are female.

On the other hand, there is no special drugs or treatment for AS. And you have a diagnosis that may entitle you to any treatment you would get should you be properly diagnosed. So, it may make the most sense to work on any issues you have while you can still get treatment, and sort all out later, before you get too old for assistance. In a lot of places assistance disappears when you become and adult. :roll:

DrowningOutTheDarkness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 2:31 pm

BTDT wrote:
Autism is often misdiagnosed in females--so it is more likely to be misdiagnosed if you are female.

On the other hand, there is no special drugs or treatment for AS. And you have a diagnosis that may entitle you to any treatment you would get should you be properly diagnosed. So, it may make the most sense to work on any issues you have while you can still get treatment, and sort all out later, before you get too old for assistance. In a lot of places assistance disappears when you become and adult. :roll:

Yeah I am already receiving services becuse I have so many diagnoses so that part is ok. It's the fact that I was basically diagnosed with autism but not quite. My mother is also a psychologist and does not think I have it so it kinda messes with my head. I was also tested but as you know was diagnosed with NVLD instead. It just.....I can't really explain it but it's really been bothering me lately.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 1:02 am

My diagnosis blurs between lines of high-functioning and Aspergers, but am most likely latter due to speech delays as a child. It can help get insurance things covered or benefits in school, plus closure of mind. :D
These days, nobody can tell if I am autistic, but as a child who couldn't even write or speak more than 3 words, I was no different from the other girl with classic autism.

DrowningOutTheDarkness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2017, 9:44 am

So I have an update: I took the apspie test (for the second time becuse I forgot to save the file) and my mom said that maybe I did have autism or something related (well she said more but I just summarized it. So that's good!