Is someone with their own business better than me ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 10:36 am

I have at times felt that anyone in their twenties or early thirties who is the boss of their own business and been to university to get it is better than me whereas at 31 I am just a retail sales person with no actual career of my own yet and had left university after just 3 and half months. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.

FadetoBlack
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Nov 2020, 10:40 am

No they're not better than you, they have just found what they want to do

Try aiming for something that you will enjoy, and the rest will follow

Trick is just don't give up.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 10:58 am

I'm thinking to myself is it because maybe they left school at 16, 17 or 18 and then started working somewhere or gone straight university and that by the time they were 25 they are already full-fledged business men and women whereas I left school at 18 and didn't go straight to university, I spent 2 years at college doing a BTEC art diploma before at 22 deciding to go to university to further my education but at the same time I wasn't in any other work whilst studying because maybe it would have been too much for me to work in a store and study all the same time, and after I was at university I left after nearly 4 months due probably because of stress and overwork and possibly at times unable to cope with pressure.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:06 pm

Someone with their own business may be buried in debt and unable to take a sick day, but if they are smart enough to not waste time comparing themselves to others, they are at least better adjusted than you.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2020, 12:09 pm

Somebody who owns their own business could be working 70 hours a week and not getting the equivelent of the minimum wage.

They will have masses of paperwork to fill in, including all their tax returns. They will also be responsible for all of the people they might employ. Hiring and firing, and all the other things a manager has to do.

Does that sound like something that would interest you?

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:36 pm

harry12345 wrote:
Somebody who owns their own business could be working 70 hours a week and not getting the equivelent of the minimum wage.

They will have masses of paperwork to fill in, including all their tax returns. They will also be responsible for all of the people they might employ. Hiring and firing, and all the other things a manager has to do.

Does that sound like something that would interest you?

Well, I said this to myself and others before, that maybe I wouldn't be interested in managerial work.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:39 pm

It depends on your definition of "better". Certainly, a person in business is more ambitious, more responsible, and willing to take greater risks than someone who just earns a wage and goes with the flow.

But "better"? It depends also on if you consider someone who contributes to the economy "better" than someone who merely takes from it.

Now, in light of our intrinsic value has human beings, no one is "better" than anyone else.

But when it comes to what we have and what we have done to improve the lives of others, those who do are better than those who do not.

Thus, the person who hired you is better than the person who did not hire you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 22 Nov 2020, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:57 pm

Nobody is better than anyone else.

It's unlikely that business people have been to uni. It wouldn't be useful to the running of a business unless it was to learn something specific to their business (like fashion design) or to learn business studies.

People with degrees are more talented in one area, people with businesses (successful ones) are better at selling etc.

Likely you have your own talent. Your own area where you're better than average people. Esp being autistic - our strengths and weaknesses are more polarised than most people rather than being balanced out like most NTs are.

For eg I have a couple of degrees. But I can't cook a basic meal or put a full wash on from start to end. I'm 32. Uni was like an extension of school for me, learning all about things I find easy to learn.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 2:00 pm

Not everyone grows up to run a business. In fact I know a lot of NT people older than me who have never ran a business or been a manager in their lives. Doesn't mean they are less good as anyone else.

The only type that are scumbags are murderers, thieves, rapists and paedophiles. People that bring misery to other people's lives. If you're not one of those then you are a good citizen in my book.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 2:37 pm

First, pick your value system. A century and a half ago, farmers and free-lance craftsmen were still the majority, and glad to not be "wage slaves." There are still hunter-gatherers who think that farming is unholy.
Also, there are business owners who do nothing but squeeze their employees and suppliers and victimize their customers to skim off profits, and others who see themselves as facilitators, to keep everyone happy, including the heirs of their influence. Some businesses are huge, and others barely exist except on tax forms.
We would also have to know a lot more about you than your business ownership status to pass judgement by any value system.
If you want to be content, try paying complete attention to your breathing. When the inner space seems bigger than the outer space, things feel very, very OK.