Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 4:17 pm

Any of you guys have issues with noise filtering?

Went for a rare meal out tonight and with background music coming from speakers in the roof and the general noise of others talking etc I find that I can't heard what people on my table were saying. I do seem to get the same with background traffic or if a TV is on in the background I find it hard to hear people.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2017, 4:23 pm

Yes when I am in place with world and music I can't listen what the other say

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:23 pm

Oh yes. I like to listen to music when out and about and usually there's people chattering away on their phones as loud as they can and screaming babies and everything else that gets on my nerves. I just can't enjoy my music in this environment.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:35 pm

That's called auditory processing. You may have auditory processing disorder, along side your autism. A lot of us do, me included. It's not a volume issue, it's a problem processing the sounds.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:04 pm

Every once in a while in noisy environments, I seem to be the only one who can't extract nearby speech from the lilliputianous ambiance.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2017, 3:11 am

Yep. If I'm in a cafe, for example, I often can't hear what the person I'm with is saying to me because of all the background noise - the coffee machine, chairs scraping, other people eating and so on. It's not background noise to me, it's in the foreground and is competing with everything else.

Here at home, the traffic passing by is constantly distracting me. Any kind of buzzing noise will annoy me but other people don't notice it.

I can't sleep in a room with a ticking clock.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 4:51 am

Yes I have a problem with noise filtering which can make it really difficult to follow a conversation ( but not impossible ). I do find it impossible if 2 people are talking at the same time , my mind just cant cope.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:37 pm

In public places, I feel noise 'wash' over me; it just sweeps into my ears like a big blur. It's most apparent in a large, echoing indoor environment like a shopping centre. I've often noticed certain tones of voice seem to stand out amongst these great blobs of noise, almost always female voices, which seem startlingly loud compared to background sounds, especially if someone in my periphery suddenly laughs/speaks. If I'm really caught out by it, I often feel unreasonably annoyed with the noise source too, as if they had done it on purpose.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:41 pm

Yes - its a big problem for me. It's why I had to learn to read lips.

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2017, 2:54 pm

It is very difficult if not impossible for me to track a conversation I'm having if there are others going on around me.

I need music at work. Can't stand the sounds around me.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2017, 4:11 pm

Yes, both my wife and I have that issue. Me, because of AS and my wife, because of the cerebral lesions caused by MS. We're a bundle of laughs in a place with several sources of noise!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 1:56 pm

I probably have a below-average ability to filter out a conversation from noise, or else less willingness to nod my head and pretend I heard. At a party, if I have to ask someone to repeat something more than once, I just gesture at my ears, shrug, and leave.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

This used to be a huge issue for me due to exceptionally good hearing (like many Aspies). I couldn't shut out the sound of background noise. I now have tinnitus (again like many Aspies) and it has actually been quite a relief! Silver lining.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2017, 1:12 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Any of you guys have issues with noise filtering?

Went for a rare meal out tonight and with background music coming from speakers in the roof and the general noise of others talking etc I find that I can't heard what people on my table were saying. I do seem to get the same with background traffic or if a TV is on in the background I find it hard to hear people.

I have exactly what you have described. It is as if the sounds from different sources merge and create a meaningless sound storm.