Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:52 pm

Ideally, when you're in a room full of cops, you should feel protected - "there are so many good men here to defend me and I feel safe!!"

BUT

in reality it's.. - "s**t I'm in a room full of cops. They will most likely find something to charge me with and arrest me just because they don't like how I look or because they are bored and want to have some fun"

I sincerely hate them. The difference between a cop and a criminal is that a criminal doesn't get its paycheck at the end of the month from the government (although some criminals probably do) .

Thoughts?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:53 pm

It's not quite so simple as all that.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:31 pm

"I don't answer questions."
Q: "You don't answer questions?"
A: "That's correct." *aw crap!*

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:59 pm

Lol what??

Is that even legal to say that to a cop??

"I don't answer questions" - well sir, we'll have to take you to the station for resisting to speak to a police officer... obstruction of justice or something like that - there you go!

I remember being back in highschool we had some major crime I don't remember prolly a student was seen wielding a knife - next day 2 covert detectives came and randomly searched backpacks of students... I was barely a minor back then first time I see those 2 big dudes coming at me they were out for blood, like I had anything to do with those fellons that happened to be pupils there.... Damn

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:26 pm

You can refuse to answer; it’s protected under the fifth amendment against self-incrimination. Including if they bring you to the station and/or during initial encounter… If you do end up at the station. You should request an attorney. Doesn’t matter if you’re under arrest or requested to come to the station voluntarily.

In your average traffic stop, it probably won’t go that far. Just hand them required documents and say very little, if anything. Best case you will get warning and worse a ticket… Traffic attorneys are cheap and worth the small investment to keep insurance rates down.

If you’re getting stopped frequently, just out and about. You could carry a medical ID card and hand that to the officer. Maybe they will be a bit more understanding with you.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm

SH90 wrote:
You can refuse to answer; it’s protected under the fifth amendment against self-incrimination. Including if they bring you to the station and/or during initial encounter… If you do end up at the station. You should request an attorney. Doesn’t matter if you’re under arrest or requested to come to the station voluntarily.

In your average traffic stop, it probably won’t go that far. Just hand them required documents and say very little, if anything. Best case you will get warning and worse a ticket… Traffic attorneys are cheap and worth the small investment to keep insurance rates down.

If you’re getting stopped frequently, just out and about. You could carry a medical ID card and hand that to the officer. Maybe they will be a bit more understanding with you.

Good advice. So far I've got lucky to not have been stopped by a cop, I did once scratched an off duty civilian cop car with a SUV... well, luckily she was bareable but within the boundaries of law cops can make your life a living hell unless you're well connected if you know what I mean. You think the cops want to mess with the real criminals out there? they are afraid of them as we are, and it's easier to stop a decent man rather than a scary thug with a guard dog.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:05 am

Beware of advice about your rights if your country does not recognize them. I am also very wary of Police. With AS, we react differently to many things, and a cop is usually only smart enough to spot the difference and assume it means guilt. I called 911 during an illegal eviction and wound up having to exile myself to buy a cheap house. Two years later, I suffered an assault, and was asked by the small-town mayor to report the incident. His influence got me better treatment, but when I tried to pin down the time of the incident by mentioning the Police cruiser that parked nearby as I was stumbling away, the interviewing officer asked me if it hadn't occurred to me to ask for help then. All I said was "No" but my tone of voice said "Are you CRAZY?" When I later asked for a criminal record check so I could get a job, they just "lost" my application.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:27 pm

I've gotten myself out of a few potentially dicey situations by being superficially respectful to the police, then talking about them behind their backs LOL

There are nice cops, and there are nasty cops.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've gotten myself out of a few potentially dicey situations by being superficially respectful to the police, then talking about them behind their backs LOL

There are nice cops, and there are nasty cops.

This is key and good advice.

Also OP, I didn’t realize you’re not in America… But if I’m correct, Micronesia is an US Territory. So I’m not if our rights apply to you.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:35 am

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:46 am

The cops used to harass me all the time in my old neighborhood. They would often stop me for no reason when I would take walks at night. They would ask me where I was going, accuse me of being on drugs, and check my eyes by shining a flashlight directly in them. Sometimes they would ask to search my bag, and I would be too afraid to say no because I was intimidated by them. It's was just in that one neighborhood that I would be harassed, so I think it was just those particular one that had it out for me for some weird reason.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm

Need more «balanced» footage...

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

Chichikov wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgmc7kKqOI

Some of those are very entertaining and prime example of what not to do, lol…

I had mostly decent run ins with the law and only a couple of bad ones with small town police… But I always try to take a cautious middle grown with them; realizing they have a dangerous job. Works for me, never been arrested and only a handful of tickets. I had a few nightmare scenarios when I was down on my luck and sleeping in my car; again, never been arrested (request a supervisor if needed and be polite).

spiderman123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2017, 5:12 pm

just ask them if you are free to go and if you are not detained you can walk away. also say no comment if you dont want to answer a question. It's your right!