People normalizing bullying you got as a child

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

I truanted a lot in my second of year of high school because of the bullies; to the outside world I had a perpetual stomach ache, even let myself get exposed to radiation at the hospital knowing I was lying, but preferring to be anywhere but back there. I walked strangely those days, seemed linked to social anxiety, so school was an utter misery.
Telling someone bullying is normal as though it's all part of some growing up process is plain stupid. Of course, people will always encounter negative sorts that will attempt to bring you down in life, insult you, that's natural, but bullying in and of itself should never be accepted as a norm and always be reported, because at it's worst it can and does drive children to suicide.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:42 am

When people try to normalize the bullying that I took, I ask them "How many times did your school classmates actively attempt to kill you?". If they say "zero" or try to ignore the question, I say you got off lucky back then if you grew up where I did. If they somehow still do not believe me, I show them a few of my scars to prove my point. The place I went to school at has a history of being a training ground for generations of bullies, even to this day. The whole town is filled with naturally mean spirited people.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:54 am

The assistant principal at my old school told me it was my fault I was being bullied and that I should change what ever it was I was being bullied about. So basically I was told to stop being myself if I wanted to stop being made fun of, and that it was normal to be bullied.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 6:27 pm

I remember my mum trying to normalize the bullying that I received at the age of 16. It angered me to know that she wasn't on my side back in those days. She was also expecting that I'd want to start wanting to be a woman and wear my hair like one, which never happened. It also mystifies me that people are blindfolded enough to call a transman with a Beatle haircut Madame, or Miss. I remember getting buzz cuts in protest last year. I'll stick to the Mick Avory hair this year. It is the 50th Anniversary of The Summer of Love. I still think it was wrong of my mum to try to normalize bullying when I was 16, though.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 7:46 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
The assistant principal at my old school told me it was my fault I was being bullied and that I should change what ever it was I was being bullied about. So basically I was told to stop being myself if I wanted to stop being made fun of, and that it was normal to be bullied.

Same here. But it was a psychiatrist who I was never able to find after Columbine happened.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:55 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i'm wondering if the people who poo-poo bullying are themselves bullies?

They usually are.

My mother always told me the bullying I endured at school wasn't as bad as I thought it was, that I was taking it personal and other s**t like that. She would bully me too, the the point I sometimes wanted to commit myself to get away from her. No one would believe me about what she was doing because she was so good at putting on a show around other people and where I was from, a parent physically abusing their child was seen as okay because "kids have to learn how to behave/listen". When she would tease or harass me and I called her out on it, she would get butt-hurt about it and say I interpreted it the wrong way, that I took it too personal.

My mother has told me things like I was too sensitive so it all stuck out more. Oh I must be crazy then and I must have exaggerated and acted like a special snow flake. So I told her that comment was making me feel that way and she changed her answer too that I wasn't exaggerating and I was right and they were wrong and my brother told them that kids are really mean to me and he has seen it everyday and I said it happened to me all the time when they told me that kids pick on one kid and then move onto another kid and I said "But it happens to me all the time, they never move on from me."

She has also told me I took it all too literal and they did it to each other. Wow, thanks for pointing out to me subtly that I had AS traits then too because I didn't read social cues and I misread them if they were just joking and playing with me and I took it all as meanness and them being mad at me for not doing something they wanted me to do. But no one protected me from that then because I didn't have that diagnoses so no one knew.

My mom also told me kids were mean to her too so all the Marys must get picked on too after I told her in 5th grade that all the Beths got picked on in the world and kids are mean to me because I am Beth and all the Beths are treated differently in the world. I doubt then my own mother went through it all the time instead of occasionally or from one or two kids instead of it being pervasive. I am sure if she went through what I went through, she wouldn't have been trivializing it because she would have known what I was talking about.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2017, 12:53 am

I was bullied a little bit in high school, not too badly. There was this one kid in the cafeteria who would throw food at me. My question is, what would have been wrong with fighting back? Like get up and start screaming the F-word and throwing food at him, and if he got up to fight, straight up punch him in the face? That would work a little better for me than for most people, because I'm a pretty strong guy. Yeah, I'd get suspended for a couple days, but no one would pick on me again, ever. And I'd probably get a couple girl's phone numbers out of it. What would have been wrong with that?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 2:29 am

Surf Rider wrote:
I was bullied a little bit in high school, not too badly. There was this one kid in the cafeteria who would throw food at me. My question is, what would have been wrong with fighting back? Like get up and start screaming the F-word and throwing food at him, and if he got up to fight, straight up punch him in the face? That would work a little better for me than for most people, because I'm a pretty strong guy. Yeah, I'd get suspended for a couple days, but no one would pick on me again, ever. And I'd probably get a couple girl's phone numbers out of it. What would have been wrong with that?

Not all schools are the same. If you tried to defend yourself at my old high school like that, he would likely have called his buddies over later after school and you would have been beaten by 5 to 10 guys at the same time. I know how it would have played out because it happened to me several times back in the day. It was not until I started literally scaring them with fire before some of them backed off of me. Some never did and had to learn a valuable lesson about playing with fire.

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2017, 2:42 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Not all schools are the same. If you tried to defend yourself at my old high school like that, he would likely have called his buddies over later after school and you would have been beaten by 5 to 10 guys at the same time. I know how it would have played out because it happened to me several times back in the day. It was not until I started literally scaring them with fire before some of them backed off of me. Some never did and had to learn a valuable lesson about playing with fire.

Aren't there like, laws and stuff? Couldn't you call the police and have them arrested? And then file a lawsuit to recover the cost of any medical bills? Did the administration do nothing when you reported it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 5:41 am

^^^^^I hope you got away from her in time.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2017, 6:35 am

Private Idaho wrote:
People don't like to admit they were bullies. Often you hear from them "well, you sort of asked for it" and some probably think they were doing you some kind of a favor by showing you the social ropes.

I had the inverse issue. When I started going over my history in preparation for my AS assessment I realised that all through my childhood I'd been bullied. I used to get into at least one fight a week due to people exploiting my sensory problems (mostly touch). Because I generally used to win the fights (lost one through knockout and one because I damaged my wrist) I never really thought if it as bullying, which is pretty stupid, but that's what happened. I never even realised that my uncle giving me nightmares for 40 years, though tickling me until I couldn't breathe was bullying. I feel like a complete idiot!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 10:33 am

Surf Rider wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

Aren't there like, laws and stuff? Couldn't you call the police and have them arrested? And then file a lawsuit to recover the cost of any medical bills? Did the administration do nothing when you reported it?

There may be laws enacted, but that does not mean that the local police will enforce them. Unfortunately, it is in a rural midwestern town that employs the "good ole' boys" system of doing things. Always has, always will. They still think it is still the wild west there. Needless to say, many of the bullies were relatives of those in power, so that meant that they got a free pass to do what they wanted without penalty. If I would have died at the bullies hands, they had the power to cover it up and make it look like an "accident" or "suicide", so no one would get charged. Calling the police would have done nothing except stir the pot more. The school administration did whatever the "good ole' boys" told them to do. I went to the principle a few times before I realized that he was part of the game. Lawsuits do no good when you have both local (and regional) lawyers and judges mixed into the problem.

If you want to see a definition of hell on earth, it exists there.

yungsavage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2017, 4:23 am

You can't really "get over" bullying, but you can try to stop it. If you punch the bully, and roast the bully (because most bullies are ugly or just sad human beings). If you do this the bully will realize that you aren't an easy target and will stop messing with you.
Most people who suffered from "chronic bullying" were just people who were too scared to stand up to their bullies. Approach the bully with a friend or family member if you can't do it by yourself. If the bully has friends with him, gather up people you know to help you stand up to them. When I was a kid I was the target of a huge amount of bullies, however whenever somebody wanted to pick on me (which was often, I suffer from Growth Hormone Deficiency and AS so I would rarely ever grow, I was 4'8 in 10th grade) but I would either respond with a phat insult, or a fist to the face. They would never bother me again.

Bullies are actually very sensitive people, that's why they f**k with people who don't defend themselves.

EDIT: Also, you let what people say hurt you. I learned this when I was younger. Why should it matter to you if somebody you hate talks crap about you? Especially when they are mere normie trash. Words only have the power you give them. Sometimes I will shock people with how "unroastable" I am because I learned this. However, sometimes I can go a bit to hard on people because of AS. One time a girl whose parents committed suicide was talking s**t about me so I stood up in class and said something along the lines of "Shut the f**k up, ugly b***h, you are a shallow waste of human existence. Your parents most likely committed suicide because they didn't want to deal with the absolute piece of gutter trash s**t they created." I got suspended after that, but I noticed that suddenly she started sucking up to me after that.

#ASPIEMASTERRACE

Last edited by yungsavage on 23 Apr 2017, 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 4:27 am

QuantumChemist wrote:

it is the same way here. I take solace from the thought, "god is not mocked," and while those bullies are rewarded for their evil here on earth, where they are eventually headed will not be the same way.

yungsavage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2017, 4:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

it is the same way here. I take solace from the thought, "god is not mocked," and while those bullies are rewarded for their evil here on earth, where they are eventually headed will not be the same way.

ya but god doesn't exist lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 5:06 am

yungsavage wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

ya but god doesn't exist lol

I would not consider that a safe bet. but YMMV.