Can stimming be dancing or thumb sucking?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2017, 9:48 pm

What other things can be considered stimming that usually aren't the first things listed (like hand flapping, rocking)?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm

I think so. I use to suck my thumb until I was 8.

GoblinCandy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm

Stimming can definitely be dancing or thumb sucking.

A very common stim, that people typically aren't first to mention, is jumping. This seems to be amongst the most common stim performed by aspie children. Typically they'll do it when excited, such as while viewing a TV show or movie that brings them much pleasure. Most seem to stop doing it after being caught doing it one too many times.

I was caught doing it a few times as a kid, and I'm still to this day sometimes mocked for it. :|

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 11:47 pm

Verbal/vocal stims have always been the majority of mine. I was listening to the same music over and over and doing repetitive dances to it for a while, though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 11:56 pm

Pretty much anything done to sooth autistic anxiety.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2017, 5:46 am

burnt_orange wrote:
What other things can be considered stimming that usually aren't the first things listed (like hand flapping, rocking)?

Lots of different things. :) My main ones are running a particular lock of hair across my lips and sucking my thumb.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2017, 6:58 am

Physical movement like running, weight-lifting, skiing, etc., or any kind of other sport performed individually - or others I know well/like - without competition, makes me feel better. I wish I could dance, but I can't, maybe because of autism?

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 8:41 am

Hippygoth wrote:
Lots of different things. :) My main ones are running a particular lock of hair across my lips and sucking my thumb.

Yep me too when my hair gets long enough and thumb sucking too, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I suck my thumb so much it doesn't look like my other thumb lol.

Last edited by EzraS on 22 Feb 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmallBun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2017, 8:43 am

I used to jump/hop around a lot as a child. Nowadays I usually just have both of my hands in my hair and scratch/sort through it or just rub my scalp. I'm usually doing that 24/7, though. I will occasionally suck my thumb as well.

I just like being cute and small.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2017, 12:06 am

I love to dance. I've been doing it more lately because my kids enjoy having a "dance party". But really, I might like it more than them. Sometimes now though I feel almost possessed by the rhythm and don't think I could hold still if I wanted. I think I'm okay at it. But it's not really about skill, more a feeling and letting the music move you. I usually try to be funny too, so that helps and makes it seem like I'm not trying too hard.

My 6 year old, almost 7 still sucks his thumb. I tried everything to stop him years ago. Now that I know he has ASD I feel bad that I did that. He's aware now though and doesn't do it at school.

I think stimming is important. I wouldn't try to stop it now. I have always rocked and I don't know what I would do if someone tried to stop me from it.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2017, 12:38 pm

Pretty much anything can be stimming if used to self-stimulate. Even if not consciously aware of it.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
I suck my thumb so much it doesn't look like my other thumb lol.

Mine are different too. :D

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 9:44 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I suck my thumb so much it doesn't look like my other thumb lol.

Mine are different too. :D

That's amazing! I sucked my thumb well into my teens and after reading these posts I do notice a significant difference between my thumbs as the left (that I sucked) is visably more smooth and slender

However now I insted bite my lip or hold/pinch or play with with my lips with my hands/fingers
a significant increase in socially acceptableness as my parents hated by the thumb sucking

(I'm not diagnosed asd currently)

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ