Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 9:11 am

I am wondering what medications exist to help with irritability.
I am currently limited by my irritability when it comes to certain things, and it is interfering with my normal day to day life and also with my school work.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with any medications made to lessen irritability?

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2017, 11:13 am

B12 works wonders - try Focus Plus

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 1:57 pm

Keigan wrote:
B12 works wonders - try Focus Plus

okay, I'm looking for medications more than vitamins, but ill keep it in mind

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

I use to have serious problems with irritability prior to taking risperidone. So that drug has helped me immensely. Just keep your dose low, about 1mg or less, and take it at bedtime.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2017, 2:54 pm

teksla wrote:
I am wondering what medications exist to help with irritability.
I am currently limited by my irritability when it comes to certain things, and it is interfering with my normal day to day life and also with my school work.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with any medications made to lessen irritability?

I didn't know there was a medication to lessen irritability. I could sure use it right now. I've been noticing lately that it doesn't take much to irritate me. However, I don't think it gets to the point where it interferes with my daily life. I can still function and go on with my day. I'm learning some new coping skills to deal better with my irritability, but sometimes it's easy and sometimes not. I guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. The worse my mood, the more difficult it is to deal with. I really shouldn't let people and things bother me so much, but sometimes I just can't help it. Even just little things set me off; in my mind, at least. I rarely lash out. But I tend to keep my true feelings bottled up inside until eventually I explode and that's when I lash out. I just recently learned that it's common for people on the autism spectrum to be irritable. That's me, all right. So, since I've never taken any medications made to lessen irritability, I can't tell you whether my experience with it was good or bad. Would anyone happen to know the name(s) of medications for irritability? Just curious.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

jmncrr000 wrote:
I use to have serious problems with irritability prior to taking risperidone. So that drug has helped me immensely. Just keep your dose low, about 1mg or less, and take it at bedtime.

I have had a good deal of success with risperidone as well.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 4:01 pm

Redxk wrote:
jmncrr000 wrote:

I am a bit worried about potential weight gain and other side effects.
Any problems for you two?

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 4:44 pm

teksla wrote:
Redxk wrote:
jmncrr000 wrote:

I have a slight tremor in my hands, and yes, weight gain, but for me it has been worth the extra vigilance needed in making good food and exercise choices.

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm

teksla wrote:
Redxk wrote:
jmncrr000 wrote:

I have not had any problems with risperidone other than 10 lbs of weight gain which i needed.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 6:39 pm

EVERY medication I've tried for irritability only made it worse!

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2017, 3:44 am

I found that both Risperidone and Effexor (separately) helped noticeably reduce my irritability.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 10:43 am

Of all the medications (managing depression/anxiety symptoms) I've been described, the one that helped me in the end was Sertraline; it really did the trick and after being on it a long time I ended up taking the leap back into uni. It didn't make me irritable like some of the prior ones either, but it did cause my hands and arms to shake in the mornings.
Probably my worst experience with medication was also my first experience being put on an SSRI - Fluoxetine caused a constant, low-grade headache and the nausea I find these kinds of headaches provoke. My moods became even more unpalatable than usual, for months on end I walked around in a fog of unpleasant, bitter irritability.
That said, it being my first antidepressant - it would have been incredibly rare to have responded well to the first med my psychiatrist prescribed, as getting the right one for your system is a game of calculated hit and miss based on one's symptoms.