The Autism Separatism Discussion Thread

Page 4 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:08 am

neuroadvanced wrote:
Every group of people so far throughout human history claiming to be a "superior race" have been misguided. Until now. The "Aryan Race" concept hitler came up with was dumb. A race of fully developed autistic people would for the first time in human history FINALLY ACTUALLY BE a superior race of people. Which was bound to happen eventually. Autism was inevitable. The current design of humans has inherent flaws that cannot be rectified. So a fork off from current humans was needed. We need to ensure it survives and thrives, protect it.

Didn't all of the 'misguided ones' also think for the first time in human history FINALLY ACTUALLY BE a superior race of people? Or something similar?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:26 am

quaker wrote:
For a community - if that is the right choice of word, who prides itself on difference, we have a long way to go in accepting 'difference' in the truest meaning of the word.

The OP's arrogance is not too far away from the mindset that was so prevalent here some years back. Many who have been unkindly towards him, would perhaps be wise to reflect on how their own views have taken time to mature and evolve.

This post makes zero sense.

Could you please elaborate?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:54 am

I think this person is saying that a grudge against how he was treated by "NT's" is, at least partially, behind the OP's desire for "autism separation."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 01 Aug 2017, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:03 am

neuroadvanced wrote:

Until we put together a group effort with leadership and defined goals, our individual sacrifices are in vain. Just like with us black people, until Rosa Parks didn't give up her seat, until Martin Luther King rallied us together and the civil rights movement took shape, the overall black population didn't make progress.

What I should have said is that we autistic people will END UP being a superior race. We are not yet. And I don't think it would be right for us to treat NT's bad/harm them like certain groups have done to other people in the past. We should simply separate and doing our own thing and leave NT's be. They go their way and we go ours. No need to fight them.

That's fine, but now it's time to move on from whining on a back corner of the internet and advance our new race forward. Too much time has been wasted with no progress. Enough is enough.

I'm tired of seeing no progress being made, So I decided to come here and light a fire. So far the responses have been tepid at best. Truly disheartening. I thought we had more guts then that. Good thing my black ancestors didn't take the lazy unmotivated approach you all are or else I would be drinking out of a "coloreds only" water fountain.

Rosa Parks and MLK wanted to integrate, not segragate. Black progress has been limited, you still are way behind economically and have a high risk of bieng stopped by police and a higher risk of bieng shot by them. People still grab thier belongings or walk to the other side of the street when well dressed black people walk by. It is the LBGT people whose progress we should look up to. They did it by proving thier desire for gay marriage did not threaten straight people. In the media portrayls of them were likable. Blacks for all the progress they have made still seem threatining to many whites.

I disagree that no progress has been made since WP was founded in 2004. Progress has been slower then with other groups but it has occurred. 13 years ago Autism was universally thought of as a wholly bad thing. The concept of neurodiversity has been gaining a foothold in how Autism is described and portrayed to the great annoyence of many. I do agree with you that the disagreement as to what autism is is a major impediment to progress. People know who is black and what gay is. Knowledge of autism is relatively very recent. In time science will get it right. This has a better chance of happaning if Autistic people are included in the research not segragated away.

I disagree that NT's will let us seperate. Should we choose to seperate we will have to take our territory by force.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:13 am

neuroadvanced wrote:

Until we put together a group effort with leadership and defined goals, our individual sacrifices are in vain. Just like with us black people, until Rosa Parks didn't give up her seat, until Martin Luther King rallied us together and the civil rights movement took shape, the overall black population didn't make progress. Individual black people had done things here and there before but not until we became fully organized and broadly worked together towards our goal, the overall population didn't benefit. Definitive action is required, of which I've seen none. An autistic town where we can get together, live together, and study autism and a way forward would be definitive action. If we pool our money together and buy some land in Idaho or something, we can start the process of making this happen. We need an official land area designated for autistic people.

Well, it would be nice to be able to call the cops and not get in trouble for expecting them to do their jobs. However, this is now a concrete proposal, which can be studied as an example of an intentional community. These have a long and passionate history, but seem utterly dependent upon a lucky combination of people and circumstances. The few that persist for generations are based on religious specialization. Heinlein postulated a group arranged for longevity, but race seems to have been the only genetic test used for some real groups.

I too yearn for community and intellectual stimulation, but have always done better in a partnership with a socially adept NT. I was in a group for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families, and we used to go out bowling, etc, to practice our social skills on each other, but the older members all advised against trying to form business partnerships or get married with other "recovering" people, and I regret not taking that advice.

I loved an old "Tank McNamara" cartoon, showing two guys sharing a telephone as desks and chairs were carried into their room. They called up a tennis player's agent, and introduced themselves as two engineers, just starting a company to make superior tennis rackets. They wondered if the star would like to use one. The agent asked what would be in the deal for his athlete, and they offered him a free racket, and even some spares. "Yep, you're engineers, alright." was his answer. A banker will never gamble on a startup without a variety of people.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:26 am

I get very nervous when people start proclaiming that their group (race, sexual orientation, etc.) is superior to others. History is filled with examples of this type of behavior and it usually does not end well for someone/everyone. I never understood the need for one to put other groups down, that is bullying behavior that I personally detest the most.

If the OP really wants to make a difference for all people on the spectrum, then change the world in a positive way with the abilities that you were given. Separatism is not the way to do this.

adorkablegeekgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 3:03 pm

While I think it's an attractive idea that a hypothetical autistic-only society could better accommodate all of our needs, I don't think it's actually possible, because we are all so different from each other. For example, I am hypersensitive to sensory stimuli. Things like noises and textures and smells and flavors drive me crazy and make me shut down. Others on the spectrum are hypo-sensitive, and seek out the same things I need to avoid. Others are a mixture or are affected in completely different ways. The point is, we're all individuals. We all have different needs. Saying we could "just make the doors higher" just wouldn't work in practice, because our differences vary more than an extra foot or so in height. I get where you're coming from, but it's just... no. It wouldn't work.
As for being a "superior race"... Come on now. That's just wrong on so many levels. I'm "high functioning" too, but that doesn't make me some kind of god people should "revere" as you say. I don't want a "cure" either, but if anything, my autism makes life harder for me, and makes me difficult for others to deal with. I mean, I have a high IQ, and my special interests are cool, but I also have abysmal executive functioning and social skills. It's a lot more complicated than "better" or "worse."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 4:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think this person is saying that a grudge against how he was treated by "NT's" is, at least partially, behind the OP's desire for "autism separation."

I see what you're saying. Folks would complain about how NTs bully them, and the others on WP would join in with them in "NT bashing". That was common as dirt around here (not so much now though).

And there have been a smaller number who talk about an all autistic country, or some such nonsense.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

I think probably a better albeit less ambitious idea is to bring those on spectrum together to form friendships, relationships, and do group activities together. It's out of that a community is built, you can't talk separatism when so many of us are so isolated from any sort of community. After you turn 18 there isn't much out there.

adorkablegeekgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I think probably a better albeit less ambitious idea is to bring those on spectrum together to form friendships, relationships, and do group activities together. It's out of that a community is built, you can't talk separatism when so many of us are so isolated from any sort of community. After you turn 18 there isn't much out there.

Now this is an excellent idea. I think I've heard there are some support groups or something out there, but I've never seen or heard of any around me. (Maybe just because I'm relatively recently diagnosed?)

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2017, 7:30 pm

Incorrect. The next step in human evolution are cyborgs and/or genetically enhanced humans. Autism doesn't help or hinder you in getting these augmentations so it doesn't really matter.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I see what you're saying. Folks would complain about how NTs bully them, and the others on WP would join in with them in "NT bashing". That was common as dirt around here (not so much now though).

And there have been a smaller number who talk about an all autistic country, or some such nonsense.

Those who suggest this have not spent a lot of time surround by people with autism. They think things like bullying is exclusive to NT's and they are wrong about that. I've been picked on by other autistics spacifically regarding my autistic traits numerous times throughout my life.

As soon as you're around those who's autism is less severe and who don't have certain traits etc, they basically become the "NT's" as far as how they look down at you and treat you.

Human nature prevails.

Now obviously the reason why I'm put in an environment with other autistics is to get along better and cope better and have my needs taken care of better. But it's not this utopia where everyone is all nice and understanding to each other all the time.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:42 am

neuroadvanced wrote:
I would like to get a discussion going about the concept of the autism spectrum representing the beginning of a distinct new species of human that is more advanced - cognitively superior than the current one - however controversial that might be. I would like for those on the spectrum to share their thoughts on why they agree or do not agree.

I am a high functioning autistic person who considers himself to have above average intelligence and in my view people on the autism spectrum constitute a separate, distinct, and superior subspecies of human. I have periodically read these forums for over 10 years without posting and find it distressing that a vast majority of the discussions center around autism being something bad and people pitying themselves for our differences. We will never realize our potential if this does not change. Over time with more and more knowledge and experience I would have thought that by now there would be a concrete realization that autism is representative of the natural evolutionary process that takes place in a species. There is nothing to feel bad about. We are not defective in any way. Quite the opposite, actually. We are evolving. Autism is the beginning stage of evolving into a new, advanced form of human. Distinct from the current human race. And it is time to separate. It all makes perfect sense.

Bacteria to fish. Fish to reptiles. Reptiles to warm blooded mammals. Warm blooded mammals to Neurotypical humans. And now, Neurotypical humans to us, which are currently called people with "autism" (we need a name for our new species). As I'm sure you are well aware, the neurotypical mind has many severe flaws and our cognitive differences are intended to be an update to what is at this point an ancient, archaic design. The neurotypical mind was an amazing development for it's time 200,000 years ago. Just like the Ford Model T was an amazing car for 1908, but you wouldn't want to keep using it well into the future. Likewise, We shouldn't want to continue to be neurotypicals in the future. It's time to adapt and advance. We've reached the natural end of neurostandard cognition. As it stands now, neurostandard humans won't make it any further then where they are at. They won't colonize space. They won't even make it to mars. Too distracted by social media, too busy fighting, thinking up new ways to oppress each other with self destructive behavior. Always thinking short term and not seeing the bigger picture. They went to the moon 48 years ago but don't even currently have a spaceship that can take them into space. I say them because I do not consider myself to be one of them. The differences that people on here constantly talk about needing to overcome, make us not them. I just feel hindered by neurotypicals, held back. Our cognition and their cognition are different to the point of incompatibility. Our daily interactions with them prove that. The solution is not to become depressed that we are not neurotypcials and don't understand their socialization rules of conduct, we must separate ourselves from them and move forward. The extinction of neurostandard humans is assured and we must ensure our own survival. That starts with us waking up and stop feeling pity for ourselves.

We're just different then neurostandard humans. Why anyone would think that is a bad thing is beyond me. Our brains are running beta software. So there will be bugs, it's not fully developed yet. Apes just didn't wake up one day as Neanderthals, it's a process that takes time. That's what we are going through. Embrace it, be proud of what we are. The sensory issues some experience that inhibit our lives would not be an issue if neurotypicals were extinct and our entire environment, culture and technology were built from the ground up for the autistic mind. In a purely autistic society we would create technology suited for us which would eliminate any of the "problems" associated with being autistic. Being 27 feet tall would be an issue simply because the doorways are built for people who are Ft and under. If you built an environment where all the doors are high enough, this "problem" is no longer a problem.
What makes things worse is how misinformed the general public is about autism and the negative depictions displayed in mass media. I tell some people I'm autistic and they start acting as if I don't know up from down. If you search for autism on the internet you mostly see information about autism being a horrible disorder that needs to be cured, and that autistic people need help to live their lives. The superiority of being on the spectrum needs to be espoused. We're significantly more intelligent. The general public needs to be made aware of the real truth behind autism and where we stand, not the info that is currently being put out in mass. We should be revered not sent to a doctor for treatment. From what I've read on here I see that some autistic people themselves do not agree that autism is superior. I would like to ask why you feel that way. Neurotypical society is on the verge of complete collapse. Do you think a nation of autistic people would have the same problems that neurotypical society has? The answer is clearly no. Share your thoughts on this.
Doubt it'll exist longer than a few weeks. Autistic People are human. The more and more autistic people I meet the more and more I realize there isn't a huge difference between Autistic people and Neurotypical people. They all want and need the same thing. While maybe in a different way but at the end of the day. They're not as different as you people make them out to be. There are still bullies and jerks who are on the Autism Spectrum (in the eyes of those on the autism spectrum). I would know my brother is one of those people. :lol: :wink: They're are still people that you don't want to be around. It's not going to be some utopian sci-fi world that is extremely advanced; It's going to suffer the same problems as this world; Albiet in a different way...
In addition, You should realize that the same problems that the human race as a whole experience apply to the autistic community. Greed, and Hatred are still a thing. A Thriving example of this is those of you who hate NTs.
You see we aren't so different after all.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 4:12 pm

neuroadvanced wrote:
I would like to get a discussion going about the concept of the autism spectrum representing the beginning of a distinct new species of human that is more advanced - cognitively superior than the current one - however controversial that might be. I would like for those on the spectrum to share their thoughts on why they agree or do not agree.

I am a high functioning autistic person who considers himself to have above average intelligence and in my view people on the autism spectrum constitute a separate, distinct, and superior subspecies of human. I have periodically read these forums for over 10 years without posting and find it distressing that a vast majority of the discussions center around autism being something bad and people pitying themselves for our differences. We will never realize our potential if this does not change. Over time with more and more knowledge and experience I would have thought that by now there would be a concrete realization that autism is representative of the natural evolutionary process that takes place in a species. There is nothing to feel bad about. We are not defective in any way. Quite the opposite, actually. We are evolving. Autism is the beginning stage of evolving into a new, advanced form of human. Distinct from the current human race. And it is time to separate. It all makes perfect sense.

Bacteria to fish. Fish to reptiles. Reptiles to warm blooded mammals. Warm blooded mammals to Neurotypical humans. And now, Neurotypical humans to us, which are currently called people with "autism" (we need a name for our new species). As I'm sure you are well aware, the neurotypical mind has many severe flaws and our cognitive differences are intended to be an update to what is at this point an ancient, archaic design. The neurotypical mind was an amazing development for it's time 200,000 years ago. Just like the Ford Model T was an amazing car for 1908, but you wouldn't want to keep using it well into the future. Likewise, We shouldn't want to continue to be neurotypicals in the future. It's time to adapt and advance. We've reached the natural end of neurostandard cognition. As it stands now, neurostandard humans won't make it any further then where they are at. They won't colonize space. They won't even make it to mars. Too distracted by social media, too busy fighting, thinking up new ways to oppress each other with self destructive behavior. Always thinking short term and not seeing the bigger picture. They went to the moon 48 years ago but don't even currently have a spaceship that can take them into space. I say them because I do not consider myself to be one of them. The differences that people on here constantly talk about needing to overcome, make us not them. I just feel hindered by neurotypicals, held back. Our cognition and their cognition are different to the point of incompatibility. Our daily interactions with them prove that. The solution is not to become depressed that we are not neurotypcials and don't understand their socialization rules of conduct, we must separate ourselves from them and move forward. The extinction of neurostandard humans is assured and we must ensure our own survival. That starts with us waking up and stop feeling pity for ourselves.

We're just different then neurostandard humans. Why anyone would think that is a bad thing is beyond me. Our brains are running beta software. So there will be bugs, it's not fully developed yet. Apes just didn't wake up one day as Neanderthals, it's a process that takes time. That's what we are going through. Embrace it, be proud of what we are. The sensory issues some experience that inhibit our lives would not be an issue if neurotypicals were extinct and our entire environment, culture and technology were built from the ground up for the autistic mind. In a purely autistic society we would create technology suited for us which would eliminate any of the "problems" associated with being autistic. Being 27 feet tall would be an issue simply because the doorways are built for people who are Ft and under. If you built an environment where all the doors are high enough, this "problem" is no longer a problem.
What makes things worse is how misinformed the general public is about autism and the negative depictions displayed in mass media. I tell some people I'm autistic and they start acting as if I don't know up from down. If you search for autism on the internet you mostly see information about autism being a horrible disorder that needs to be cured, and that autistic people need help to live their lives. The superiority of being on the spectrum needs to be espoused. We're significantly more intelligent. The general public needs to be made aware of the real truth behind autism and where we stand, not the info that is currently being put out in mass. We should be revered not sent to a doctor for treatment. From what I've read on here I see that some autistic people themselves do not agree that autism is superior. I would like to ask why you feel that way. Neurotypical society is on the verge of complete collapse. Do you think a nation of autistic people would have the same problems that neurotypical society has? The answer is clearly no. Share your thoughts on this.

Sir, I think you misunderstand the reason this forum exists. Its a support group, place to discuss our issues, etc. Its not an Aspie nationalist site or Aspie supremacist site and never has been.

Also, I have two degrees in biology, and I can tell you that if you think Aspergers is evolution in action and that we are a different species than NTs then your knowledge of the subject is woeful to say the least. What you posted on evolution is some of the worst public misconceptions regarding how it works and etc.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

I do not get along with other autistics well. All of my friends are mentally ill and the stuff they have is way worse than autism.

creepycrawler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2017, 10:41 am

Eugenics is a horrific thing no matter who's proposing it. Sure, you're not advocating killing anybody. But you're suggesting a hierarchy, that some people are better than others. And that enables atrocity. We've seen this play out time and time again in history.

You're obviously intelligent, but I think you need to work on cultivating some empathy. It's a big undertaking, but worth it in my opinion. I believe empathy is really humanity's greatest gift. I know I've had to work hard to develop and maintain empathy for others. There are still some levels that I'm not ready for (and maybe never will be), like empathy for bad people.