Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:34 am

I don't know if this is just me or a over all thing with Autism. But I don't have a good memory of a lot of things before I was 10. I remember some stuff but not a whole bunch. But remember way more after I turned 10. Is this normal for autistic people or just me?

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2017, 9:10 am

I remember very little before age 5. We had our house remodeled when I was 4 and I remember a little bit about that but nothing else. When I was about 30 an aunt of mine commented to my then girlfriend (now my wife) that I didn't speak until I was 4. I had no idea because I couldn't remember that far back. With what I know now about ASD, that isn't too surprising but no one had ever told me that.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 10:59 am

NeilM wrote:
I remember very little before age 5. We had our house remodeled when I was 4 and I remember a little bit about that but nothing else. When I was about 30 an aunt of mine commented to my then girlfriend (now my wife) that I didn't speak until I was 4. I had no idea because I couldn't remember that far back. With what I know now about ASD, that isn't too surprising but no one had ever told me that.

For as long as I can remember. I knew that I didn't talk til I was 5. And too me that's always been common knowledge.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:05 am

From what I've seen, I think it's fairly common for us to have good long term memory. My first memory is from I was 1, and I have several memories from I was very young and increasingly more as I got into my upper childhood.

I have seen the occasional person here say they don't remember anything or very little of their life before they were about 10 or so though, so you're not alone in this.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:10 am

Skilpadde wrote:
From what I've seen, I think it's fairly common for us to have good long term memory. My first memory is from I was 1, and I have several memories from I was very young and increasingly more as I got into my upper childhood.

I have seen the occasional person here say they don't remember anything or very little of their life before they were about 10 or so though, so you're not alone in this.

What do you mean by upper childhood? Like your my age which is 17? Or older or younger? I thought it was an autistic thing not to have good memory about things till 10 or so. Is it?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:56 am

I remember only a select few bits and pieces from the time before I was 8, I believe. But then, I don't easily remember fairly recent events either.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 1:47 pm

I think memory is just something that varies among people in general. I have quite a few memories from when I was a young toddler, and hundreds (or more) from before I was 10.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2017, 3:42 pm

I have very few memories of childhood. Really all are just images of places. Most stuff pre-1993 (age = 18) is pretty much a blank.

Anything after that which is really memorable might stick in my memory - anything that makes a good anecdote.

Having said that my memory for the names of products we process at work is legendary. I can remember names of products we haven't used for years.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 4:26 pm

I've read somewhere that no one really forgets anything, that the brain sorts memories according to their age and relevance, 'burying' many deeply over time. Not sure how well confirmed that theory is, though. I can remember brief moments from early childhood but not much. I recall a few times spent in the cot but believe my earliest memory is looking up at a Christmas tree from the floor, I have a feeling I couldn't walk at that stage. The dominant images I get are of the tinsel catching the light and sparkling.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm

My earliest memories are from when I was just two. I have quite a few from that time onwards.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 6:37 pm

My first memory happened before I was 1. Right now, I remember some stuff between that period and age 3. From age 3 on, I generally remember any event that my family talks about. I creep them out with how much I remember. I used to have much more memories of being 2 and 3. Some time when I was 13, it's as if my brain did a memory purge of my early life.

I'm trying to write down all the childhood memories I can just in case another memory purge happens.

My short term memory is absolutely abyssmal.

Last edited by 248RPA on 16 Mar 2017, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

Swiss cheese memory here... just bits and pieces of the day remain. :cheese:

Priola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2017, 9:40 pm

My memory is ok. I daydream a lot and don't pay attention to tasks on hand at times - run on auto. But the earliest I can remember is from when I was 4. I started talking very early though - I guess I was 1 nd a 1/2 when I was talking in sentences.