[Poll] Do You Seem Far Smarter Online Than in 'Real' Life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Do You Seem Far Smarter Online Than in 'Real' Life?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 10 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
I Don't Think So 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 23

GoblinCandy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2017, 8:10 pm

As an autistic, do you feel as though you're viewed as slow in 'real life' or, if not slow, at least not nearly as smart as you really are? While, online, you're constantly told you're amazingly bright?

This is my reality. In real life, at least a few people have definitely viewed me as slow, and have greatly underestimated my intelligence. I figure if it's happened to me, it likely has to others on the spectrum; I've heard from others on the spectrum that this has happened to them too. In my case, I assume it's due mostly, if not completely, to my selective mutism, something which affects some 0.8% of the population, many of whom happen to fall on the autism spectrum. It probably doesn't help that body language just doesn't come naturally to me and that those rare times I actually speak, I often stumble upon my words due to anxiety, something which never fails to creep up when I'm in public.

Despite the fact that, thankfully, I'm usually quite confident in my abilities and know with certainty that I'm, in fact, not 'slow', I sometimes allow people's ignorance to get to me. On my better days, I can laugh it off; on my worst, I get irked by it. Ironically, most of these people who have assumed I'm slow are, to be frank, not smart.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:11 pm

I believe people perceive my "intelligence" about the same online as in person.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2017, 4:57 pm

I have no idea how I am perceived by people the vast majority of the time. I often wish I could know but people are never willing to tell you.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2017, 6:45 pm

No, I don't think so. I tend to be quite well-spoken in person and most people seem to perceive me as eloquent which is a term usually associated with "intelligent" people. Even if I did feel people thought I was slow, I wouldn't let it get to me as I know that it's not true.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

I don't want anyone think I'm smarter or dumber.

Regardless how I was perceived, I'm still not good with words. Whether people ended up with ideas, as long as it has anything to do with my wording, I will disregard it.

Words and languages are one of the last things I might end up obsessing with unless it has anything to do with discretion.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.