Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm

I'm in a pub right now and people are shouting....laughing loudly...

I don't get it. Why shout to the person right next to you? Its extremely noisy in here and it's horrible. People are laughing at the top of their voice. My friend says I shouldn't be so dramatic but I'm close to panic attack here.

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 4:50 pm

I think alcohol reduces people's ability to judge how much or little they need to raise their voice to get past the other noise, and causes them to over-compensate. Not much you can do once you're trapped in such a pub, other than get smashed enough that you stop caring, which I don't really recommend.

mauloch_baal

31 Mar 2017, 5:15 pm

davidmcg wrote:
I'm in a pub right now and people are shouting....laughing loudly...

I don't get it. Why shout to the person right next to you? Its extremely noisy in here and it's horrible. People are laughing at the top of their voice. My friend says I shouldn't be so dramatic but I'm close to panic attack here.

I usually just leave and go somewhere else but then again that would have its drawbacks too. Usually for me listening to headphones louder than the ambient noise works well. Seems it is the chaos of the noise around me causing the anxiety or maybe my brain just get overloaded trying to process it all.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 5:20 pm

Exit stage left. I know I have challenges with noisy environments so I avoid them at all costs.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2017, 5:21 pm

It's nuts. Its like a massive wall of noise.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:54 pm

mauloch_baal wrote:
davidmcg wrote:
. Seems it is the chaos of the noise around me causing the anxiety or maybe my brain just get overloaded trying to process it all.

I seldom go into a pub and very rarely alone. However I remember going to a busy restaurant for my 54th birthday with my father and siblings. The buzz of all the voices in the room which seemed to blend together into an aural soup made me feel quite overwhelmed.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

davidmcg wrote:
My friend says I shouldn't be so dramatic but I'm close to panic attack here.

It's probably too late now as your most likely tucked up in bed or it's the next day , but these so called friends are not the people you should be sharing your insecurities with if their comments are like this. If your close to panic , don't wait it out or fight it - get some fresh air , go to the bog and splash your face with water , go outside and smoke , just change the scenery if only for 5 minutes just to recoup and ease your anxious thoughts.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2017, 3:01 am

It's a feedback loop. People in the pub have to talk loudly to be heard over the other people in the pub and those people have to talk louder in order to be heard over the other people and on and on and on. Plus beer.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 12:22 pm

Definitely not my form of entertainment. The noise level blows me out of the room. Drunk and noisy are a bad combination. There is always the possibility of a fight breaking out.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 2:43 am

Yeah i can barely handle a mall.

I dont understand, why even go to a pub? Theyre just full of smelly loud people? If you want drinks cant you drink at home? I really dont understand the appeal.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 2:52 am

your friend should stop being so condescending :P

eh. i've been known to begin crying in noisy pubs lol. talk about dramatic.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 8:12 am

Well, it is noisy, so you will need to shout.
of course, this makes more noise, so those at the next table will also shout, which means you got to shout louder...