Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:19 pm

How do others react to unexpected incidents like losing their keys or purse etc?

I find I react very severely to such things, especially the former as I view my room as my haven and feel trapped if I cannot get in. This happened today and the landlord's son was not in a hurry to help, so I ended up sitting outside my landlord's bar room, crying and feeling strongly like smashing something or throwing something as I just wanted to get my keys back and be able to know I could get back to my sanctuary.

And then when a few people did try and help, one of them kept asking me why I was doing that with my hands... I was twisting my hands round and round, around something I was holding.

Anyone else have extreme reactions to this kind of thing...already had it happen when I lost my purse with my keys and phone in.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:24 pm

I get my mum to fix it for me.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:25 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
And then when a few people did try and help, one of them kept asking me why I was doing that with my hands... I was twisting my hands round and round, around something I was holding.

I do things like that when I get stressed.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:26 pm

I do, all the time, over everything.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:41 pm

i usually cut myself, well post on internet forums that i cut myself. But i don't really, that would just be silly.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2007, 5:52 pm

I get all bent out of shape over things that I don't have a backup plan for.
This morning for example: I found one of my bike tires is flat.
Guess I'll have to keep a few extra inner tubes on hand.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 6:51 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
How do others react to unexpected incidents like losing their keys or purse etc?

I find I react very severely to such things, especially the former as I view my room as my haven and feel trapped if I cannot get in. This happened today and the landlord's son was not in a hurry to help, so I ended up sitting outside my landlord's bar room, crying and feeling strongly like smashing something or throwing something as I just wanted to get my keys back and be able to know I could get back to my sanctuary.

Anyone else have extreme reactions to this kind of thing...already had it happen when I lost my purse with my keys and phone in.

One time my mum took my bedroom door off its hinges because I refused to go to school. I felt like the entire world were sitting outside my bedroom door and there was a spotlight on me and they were all watching me. I would bolt my bedroom door shut with chains if I got the chance, but then she would call the police.

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:01 pm

I used to react really badly to things like that and also get very aggressive, I mean I could feel the adrenalin pumping through. I suppose it is the feeling of helplessness when nobody wants to help you and you realise that you are all alone. I still get the same feeling now except I am learning to control it better.

The turning point came when I got one of my first flats when I was about 17. I moved all of my gear in overnight (2 or 3 car trips across town) and then was in work the next day so when I got back I was exhausted and just wanted to sort my gear out and then sleep but when I got back the front door was wide open and when I went in there was water everywhere and the ceiling in the lounge had collapsed on top of most of my stuff which was piled up in there. A lot of my books and things had been thrown around everywhere and I thought it was some sick kind of joke. I felt so enraged and bad I didn't know what to do with myself; I mean I wanted to crawl up and die and also hit someone at the same time but then I realised that I had a bad situation and I was just going to have to deal with it. It was just the sudden realisation that I was responsible for my own life and that if I was in trouble I had to look out for myself and just sort it out as best as possible and not just throw a tantrum. I went for a walk round the block and smoked about 20 cigarettes and called the landlord round. Through being able to be (or at least appear) calm, it didn't go too badly and he agreed to come round straight away with my deposit and rent to give back to me. He apologised about leaving the door open, not calling me and for the mess (the problem was upstairs, not in my flat). Then I had to go back to my last place (still had the keys for another couple of days) and then find a new flat thus moving house three times in a week whilst working full time.

I still struggle to control myself sometimes now, especially if I am on my own I allow myself the luxury of flipping out but I am getting better and better at controlling myself in public. Sometimes, the times I feel like flipping out are over stupid things as well like when I discovered a crack in my favourite mug.

I think there is a lot more pressure on men to remain level-headed and unemotional in these situations which is unfair in a way really; I mean guys feel like crying and shouting a lot of the time (even if they don't care too admit it).

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:07 pm

I react very strongly to things like that, especially illness, committing of crime or death!

Things like that really scare me!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:30 pm

I throw my hands up in the air in a weird way (very Phil Collins-ish) :lol: and pace around until someone comes and lets me in
no biggie really

22 May 2007, 10:30 pm

I have gotten better in my adult life. When I can't find something I look first before I have an anxitey attack.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 10:43 pm

Kosmonaut wrote:
i usually cut myself, well post on internet forums that i cut myself. But i don't really, that would just be silly.

Don't be a dick, please.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 4:54 am

Starbuline wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:

Don't be a dick, please.

well you know i dont have much choice
im starting to cut

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 5:23 am

Yes I do..., I stop talking to the only person I speak to and withdraw even further into my self; I guess you could call it catatonia...as I just sit there non-responsive to external stimuli with a “blank” demeanour. When this goes, I’m usually left with massive amounts of hate [due to my routine changing] and anxiety…I go and punch trees outside if I’m home, if not I start pulling off nails or whatever.

ChrissandraChrissamba, your story is saddening....

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2007, 6:13 am

I HATE it when unexpected things happen. Physically, I become VERY enraged and mentally, I feel my head spin and my heart beating very hard. As a matter of fact yesterday I thought I had lost my history book (I have history final exam tomorrow), but LUCKILY found it soon after...

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2007, 10:48 am

I become VERY angry with myself for being so "stupid." I will swear aloud at myself, and call the missing object foul names (how DARE my glasses become lost! :lol: ). I had a total meltdown yesterday when I discovered that one of my kids caught lice from her schoolmate. While my kids were in the showers washing the lice-killing stuff from their hair, I was yelling at the bedding as I put it in the wash, screaming curse words at the vacuum cleaner (as usual). Oh, man, the whole neighborhood must've heard me.

Strangly enough, it's the "little" unexpected things that really set me off -- big things, like getting the news of my mother's cancer, I can handle. I become very calm during emergencies or difficult situations, and try to think of solutions.

--Edgar Allan Poe