Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2017, 9:02 am

Canary wrote:
I think drinking, smoking, pot, drugs, Netflix binging, and clubbing are all boring, but that's what others around here like a lot of...

I think those things are all pretty boring, too. Being nothing more than a consumer adds nothing of value to society.

My Official Facebook Page

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:26 pm

I personally don't think I'm boring, but I do probably bore people around me because I can only talk about TV shows I like.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 6:35 pm

No, they're not technology-related. They are normal, everyday things I did late in life that are in danger of going away now. Until a month ago, I had hope of a good life. Now I have to work to get back what I lost.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm

No, I find think everyone else finds me boring. But I don't care. I think most other people are boring too.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 1:16 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
No, I find think everyone else finds me boring. But I don't care. I think most other people are boring too.

And I find almost everyone that has ever interacted with me "boring" including myself

"Interesting" and "exciting" are not always good things

Getting physically assaulted was exciting

The older I get the more boredom I crave

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder vs boredom

Interesting/exciting vs Adrenal fatigue

:arrow: :idea:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 2:00 pm

Yep, I'm definitely boring. I'm not particularly good at anything - not really any more so than the average person, I think. I avoid going out anywhere whenever possible and spend most of my time at home. Currently my interests are Pokemon, the band Tool, and a few horror movies - nothing most people would find very interesting. But I don't really care. It would be nice if I could find something worthwhile I'm actually good at (what good is having the entire Pokedex memorized ever going to do me?), but I don't care if I'm boring. I do what I like, and why does it matter if other people find it interesting or not? They don't have to do it with me or anything. Granted, trying to converse with me is probably pretty boring, since I don't have any "interesting" interests, but people don't usually try to talk to me much anyway.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2017, 6:10 pm

No, I'm way too weird to be boring. I used to have boring conversations, though, usually when I tried to talk small talk and everyone got bored. When I talk about what I want it's usually entertaining for people (e.g. listing way too many rock music subgenres no one has ever heard of, talking about my failures in a funny way, commenting things in a very, very outspoken and sarcastic matter...), but also I guess off-putting or weird or annoying for some people. I'm saying too many negative things all the time, like I'm complaining about things in a way I find very funny (and some of my friends also do), but most really NT people don't (e.g. we walk into a bar and I make remarks about how bad the music is or the sound quality...).

Topics many people seem to find interesting: Anything about recreational drugs, especially pot :D Music festivals, especially having been to a famous heavy metal festival at the age of 16....

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2017, 6:51 pm

If anyone thinks I'm boring in any way, it's just because of my monotone voice which people have compared to that of Ben Stein and Steven Wright, or that I tend to talk about cartoons and other things they aren't interested in. Otherwise, it's much more likely they'll call me a weirdo than boring.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:31 pm

sometimes, someone uses "interesting" in a judgmental, condescending way.

like they are trying hard to avoid saying something negative. but they can't phrase it in a positive way. so they say something that sounds like it's positive, but connotation versus denotation.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2017, 10:09 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
sometimes, someone uses "interesting" in a judgmental, condescending way.

like they are trying hard to avoid saying something negative. but they can't phrase it in a positive way. so they say something that sounds like it's positive, but connotation versus denotation.

I've actually lashed out at people who said "interesting" such as when I presented an unusual poem to a class and they didn't know what else to say about it. It turned out they liked it and I offended them by taking it so personally. So even though "interesting" sounded negative, I assumed incorrectly.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2017, 1:52 am

fifasy wrote:
I do.

I'm a talented chef which is awesome. However given enough time I think you could even teach a monkey how to cook.

I wish I could do gymnastics or ride a unicycle. Anything fun I suppose.

I can't even dance. When I go to a nightclub which isn't often (or a bar) it would be nice to at least be able to throw shapes and feel confident.

It's not that I'm saying I don't have worthwhile things about me. I've read a lot, I know many things. Sometimes though I feel I lack personality and warmth.

I can dance but I can't cook well. I can even mess up fish fingers and oven chips. We have opposite talents!
I think I am a boring converstationist, but maybe an interesting person. Unless I'm explaining or debating one of my special interests, I just can't think of much to say.
..... like that.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 7:13 am

There is a misconception that NT's are "fun".

Mostly they are very fickle, and the topics of conversation are not serious; hence, a sense of humour is seen as one of the most desirable traits to have.

If you are knowledgeable about something, then all you need to do is find another that shares that interest.
You will then be interesting to them.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:24 am

Sometimes, but luckily on relatively rare occasions.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2017, 9:20 am

I think most people find me interesting because I'm into such weird things. I'm vegan, I can juggle, I compete in powerlifting, I know a lot about ants, etc. But beyond that, people find me very boring to actually be around. I'm very quiet and I don't like anything that other people like so spending time with me tends to be very dull.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
I think most people find me interesting because I'm into such weird things. I'm vegan, I can juggle, I compete in powerlifting, I know a lot about ants, etc. But beyond that, people find me very boring to actually be around. I'm very quiet and I don't like anything that other people like so spending time with me tends to be very dull.

Powerlifting and juggling could be interesting to someone that does not themselves participate

Plenty of fans go to professional football basketball and baseball games. But they do not themselves join teams

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:06 am

Am I boring? I don't think so. I can't remember anyone ever telling me that.
I get more "You are weird af!" :D