Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Autopilot
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2017, 7:57 pm

Does anyone have any weird quirks that you think go along with your autism? For example, I can almost feel people's "aura" as soon as I meet them. Or I can sometimes tell what emotion someone is feeling just by being around them and feeling their energy. Sometimes my oversensitivites have an advantage I guess.. I'm sure there's others but that's all I can think of right now. What about you guys?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 8:03 pm

I can almost always sense if a person is autistic when I meet them. This is even true for the higher functioning one that can "pass." It's not the outward behavior they exhibit, it's the fact that I kind of see myself in them. It's come in pretty useful, to be honest :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm

I'm an autie rather than an aspie, but I find that I'm able to read most animals really well and establish a rapport with them. I definitely attribute it to my autism. I've done cat rescue and fostering for almost 40 years and I had a reputation especially for working with semi-feral, neglected, and abused cats. I can sense how they're feeling toward me and work around their fears to help them feel safe and then build upon that. I'm able to receive their communications and reciprocate, like we're signaling with the same universal language: body language, tone of voice, eye contact, movements. Unfortunately it's much harder for me communicating via human language - it seems somehow disconnected. :lol:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm

I don't always know what's a part of my autism and what isn't, but I also get a "feel" of people right away, and can sense their emotions, kind of like I'm feeling them myself to a lesser degree. I can sense people's presence if they're a few feet away or closer. I usually dislike this feeling, so I generally go out of my way to keep my distance from people. I also really hate when I can feel someone but not see them, like if they're standing behind me.

I too am very good at "reading" animals and figuring out on my own how best to interact with them. Several times I've had an animal such as a cat walk up to me when I offer my hand to sniff, and start giving them scritches or whatever they seem to want, and then had someone come over and say they were going to tell me that the animal doesn't like to be pet, but I'm getting on fine with them, or I'll be petting an animal, and when someone else simply walks by, the animal shies away from them (it's always annoying when I've won an animal's trust and then someone else scares it away). I'm especially good with cats because that's what I'm most familiar with.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Autopilot
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2017, 7:36 am

Yes! I too am good with animals. I love cats, but I'm allergic so I can't own one :(. I never knew other people could feel the presence of other aspies/auties as well! That's very cool.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:51 am

EyeDash,

I have a special way with cats, too! They seem to instinctively know that I care about them.

I am usually a good judge of character. I can tell who is basically a nice person or a not-so-nice one.