BigMoments:Diagnosed,ToldMyBoss,Asked for Aspergers Program

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 2:37 pm

Sorry, I haven't been on line for such a long time, but one goes into denial. I thought I was just fine. It was several years ago that my therapist agreed I have Asperger's. But I feel fine.
Meanwhile, I'm at my job for 7 years, and never promoted. I come to find out that the main reason is my relationship with our PMs. (I am a technical writer. PMs are the Product Managers, and the relationship is like that between nurses and doctors. The PMs can be bullies without any accountability, so it's hard to get my job done. I don't know how to schmooze them.)
Anyway, to prevent being fired, I told them my diagnosis. I now reached out to our People and Belonging Coordinator to ask for a program at the software company I work for. I asked them to
1. Show the movie The Imitation Game. Have you seen it! You must. It's about Alan Turing the creator of the computer, with a discussion afterwards and these questions:
* Is Aspergers a problem or a gift?
* Was Turing’s social anxiety a problem to be corrected or part and parcel of his genius?
* Do neurotypicals experience moments of or a few characteristics of Aspergers?
* Is everyone on the spectrum as a continuum, somewhere, even if all the way over to the other side of extremely social?
* Would our company hire and promote Alan Turing if he applied today and hadn’t gotten famous yet?
[Anybody else have and good questions for discussion in a group of Aspies and Neurotypicals?]
2. Invite Alex to speak. Does Alex still do speaking engagements? (I will contact Alex separately as well.)
3. Other: a regular group meeting?
[Any other ideas for a program with in a company, either short-term or long-term?]]

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 2:42 pm

Here's to success!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 2:52 pm

When I was tech writing, it was the engineers who made life miserable for me. The PMs were great.

Fantastic ideas for a corporate autism informational!

I believe Alex does everything; bar mitzvahs, grand openings of auto dealerships and ribbon cuttings. Hehe, just kidding. Actually, I love Alex's sense of humor. :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 3:27 pm

Wow! Very interesting! I would like to talk more about that, but have to get back to work! For starts, some PMs don't answer the questions I ask. They answer what they think I should know, but leave me not understanding the thing I asked about. Don't hear the question and don't want to get it right....

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

Thanks, Kitesandtrainsandcats