Any Aspies here in the U.S. Military?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2010, 11:27 am

I know, as of this past April, Asperger's Syndrome was specifically identified in a DOD document as a disqualifier for military service. But what if you've successfully served for the past ten years without your difference hindering your job performance? Over the past ten months, I've had significant marital problems and that was contributing to my just-recent poorer than average job output and focus and I've just recently been diagnosed with AS, albeit, outside of military channels. I was cornered today at work by my superiors, and even though I've kept the AS thing hush-hush at work, there were a few co-workers I've confided in and apparently, one of them ratted me out so now my bosses are asking me about it. I couldn't lie, but now I'm fearful of an early termination of my service. Anyone else here, actively serving in the military with an AS diagnosis?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 11:28 am

I know a retired Marine who is an Aspie. So, yes, they definitely exist, and can be quite successful. I couldn't serve in the military; I don't have the necessary skills; but for them to just categorically assume autistics can't serve is to ignore the fact that a good chunk of the Spectrum does fine in the military, as well as any other soldier. Most unsuccessful military personnel don't have a diagnosis at all, and it's those people they should concern themselves with weeding out early so that the time and money aren't wasted training them.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2010, 11:36 am

I'm just worried that my bosses will make me see a military doctor for an appraisal and that this new DOD Instruction (Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services) will kinda screw me... because I'm eligible for reenlistment within the next year. If this happens, I foresee a personal ethical question arising on whether or not I should try to fake being neurotypical during the assessment. Argh! Even in Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to AS, he mentions Military service as a possibly wise career choice for certain aspies, and I, by happenstance, luckily chose this career path and so far it's worked out just fine. I hope it doesn't end abruptly.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 11:40 am

Don't necessarily try to fake NT; people are good at spotting fakery anyhow. Just be very careful to communicate your basic competence as an individual and as a member of a team. A sensible doctor won't be worried about you if it's plain as day that you can do the job.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:41 pm

Callista had great advice. I was quite pissed at the new DOD instruction when I first read it. All Aspergians have different skills levels and different strengths. I could not be in the military because of anxiety and a lot spacing out. I can't drive a car.... I think military equipment is out!

However, I think that for those who do have the skills and desire, Apergians have qualities that would be quite valuable to the military, such as attention to detail, intuitive thinking, and the ability to look at situations rationally and logically, where other might react emotionally.

In any review or evaluation, I would definitely focus on your strengths; let them see what you have done and can do.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 21 Oct 2010, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2010, 1:11 pm

Thank you for the advice y'all. I'm not too worried if it goes to a review board or something similar because I have performed just fine in the past and have made rank faster than average... I just hope that it isn't a black and white sort of thing, where, if I am diagnosed through military doctors, then I'm automatically separated.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 7:47 pm

I havent server in, but Ive lived on base for a number of years. been out of the environment for 8 years now, and to be honest I miss it.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 2:00 am

My psychologist was in the navy and was a military psychologist and he has Aspergers.

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2010, 2:04 pm

That's awesome! Hopefully, this all works out.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 2:45 pm

I am thinking about joining in the military....does it depend on the branch any? I would only do Air Force or Navy.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2010, 3:55 pm

mikey1138 wrote:
Anyone else here, actively serving in the military with an AS diagnosis?

Actively? No. It wasn't until years later that I was diagnosed. Never the less, having it is having it whether one is diagnosed or not (IMO). I spent seven years with the US Army Guard and even spent a bit of time in Bosnia. During training, I tended to get into a bit of trouble (mouthing off, tobacco and other normal young guy stuff). After that, I did fine (okay, well my PT scores generally sucked, but that might be more related to diet than anything). I completed my time and was honorably discharged. I even managed to hold various jobs such as, Radio & COMSEC Repair, Motor Transport Operator (I wouldn't recommend this unless you love driving), Light Infantry and Generator Repair.

truthseeker1972
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2010, 9:57 am

SadAspy wrote:
I am thinking about joining in the military....does it depend on the branch any? I would only do Air Force or Navy.

If I had to do my military stint over knowing now that I have Aspergers, I would've gone in either the Air Force or the Navy simply because there are more technical jobs in those two branches of the service than there were in the Army. Most likely the Air Force.

I was in the Army for about two years in the early 90s in a combat job. I handled the job fine, however it was pretty stressful at times. The hardest thing about a combat job for an Aspie is that you are constantly on the go without much time to be alone to think.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2010, 11:05 am

truthseeker1972 wrote:
If I had to do my military stint over knowing now that I have Aspergers, I would've gone in either the Air Force or the Navy simply because there are more technical jobs in those two branches of the service than there were in the Army. Most likely the Air Force.

I sort of agree (though knowing about AS doesn't play a role for me). I can't fully say the same thing since I actually did enjoy the physical nature of some of my jobs, but I am more inclined towards technical paths, which I didn't find very fulfilling in the Army. While I enjoy swimming, I am not good at it at all, so the Navy might have killed me, but I've not heard about much excitement with the Air Force either (excitement being grunt stuff).

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:15 am

mikey1138 wrote:
I know, as of this past April, Asperger's Syndrome was specifically identified in a DOD document as a disqualifier for military service. But what if you've successfully served for the past ten years without your difference hindering your job performance? Over the past ten months, I've had significant marital problems and that was contributing to my just-recent poorer than average job output and focus and I've just recently been diagnosed with AS, albeit, outside of military channels. I was cornered today at work by my superiors, and even though I've kept the AS thing hush-hush at work, there were a few co-workers I've confided in and apparently, one of them ratted me out so now my bosses are asking me about it. I couldn't lie, but now I'm fearful of an early termination of my service. Anyone else here, actively serving in the military with an AS diagnosis?

I'm currently serving in the U.S. Air Force.

I was diagnosed by a military psychologist a few months back. They were going to kick me out, but my commander's been fighting to keep me in.

It really depends on you. Seeing as AS was only recently added as a "disqualifier," you could be "grandfathered" in, meaning you were already serving when they made that rule, so they have no grounds to suddenly kick you out.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2010, 4:55 am

Whilst not the US, I was disqualified at entry based solely on my diagnosed ASD for the Oz army. They just cared that I had the label, and they didn't test me in any way to determine if I was capable or not. I wasn't even given a chance.

It sucks (it's all I wanted, to be an "army man"), but hey, thems the breaks.

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Oct 2010, 10:50 am

KazigluBey wrote:
truthseeker1972 wrote:

I sort of agree (though knowing about AS doesn't play a role for me). I can't fully say the same thing since I actually did enjoy the physical nature of some of my jobs, but I am more inclined towards technical paths, which I didn't find very fulfilling in the Army. While I enjoy swimming, I am not good at it at all, so the Navy might have killed me, but I've not heard about much excitement with the Air Force either (excitement being grunt stuff).

I'm enlisted in the Air Force and there are a few jobs that offer the grunt stuff. In my job, I work with the Army and I hear it all the time, "I should've joined the Air Force." lol... I hear that so much it's become a cliche. But I've gotten to go to the fun army schools, like Airborne, Air Assault, etc... I consider my job technical and infantry-esque and I don't see myself thriving in any other job in the military than the one I have. Hopefully, I do get "grandfathered" if my commander deems it necessary to have me formally evaluated.