Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 8:33 am

Some of the stories written by autistic women about wearing masks, etc, make me curious about my daughter.

She is 7, very popular, but is never herself. She always acts like her friends expect her to act. This seems so young for this. My husband thinks that must just be how popular kids act. It makes me sad though. I want her to feel confident in who she is.

Aside from experiencing strong smells, never eating, and this mask thing, nothing else makes me think ASD about her.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 12:48 pm

What do you mean by wearing a mask? What type of mask? Maybe I don't know that because I'm guy that has autism and I guess boys with it don't do it much.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 1:02 pm

Corny wrote:
What do you mean by wearing a mask? What type of mask? Maybe I don't know that because I'm guy that has autism and I guess boys with it don't do it much.

I don't do it either and I'm female. Let me find a link.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/viewpo ... ind-masks/

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 1:11 pm

screen_name wrote:
https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/viewpoint/women-autism-hide-complex-struggles-behind-masks/

Sorry still didn't answer what I mean. Because there wasn't anyone wearing a mask in that article.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

Corny wrote:
screen_name wrote:
https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/viewpoint/women-autism-hide-complex-struggles-behind-masks/

Sorry still didn't answer what I mean. Because there wasn't anyone wearing a mask in that article.

Not a literal mask a mask like someone masking their behavior it's a figure of speech

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:14 pm

Doctors wear masks, when dealing with contagion, and self-righteous people wear masks, when dealing with the ceremonially-unclean. Dirt bike riders and superherous wear masks. And, there was a fad, in the 80's involving ace bandages. Have you asked her what it means, to her, in an open-ended, and non-confrontational way?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:35 pm

screen_name wrote:
Some of the stories written by autistic women about wearing masks, etc, make me curious about my daughter.

She is 7, very popular, but is never herself. She always acts like her friends expect her to act. This seems so young for this. My husband thinks that must just be how popular kids act. It makes me sad though. I want her to feel confident in who she is.

Aside from experiencing strong smells, never eating, and this mask thing, nothing else makes me think ASD about her.

All children copy other kids to fit in and act the way they are expected to act. Unless there are any impairments like she is suffering peer problems or self esteem or has a hard time processing things or understanding directions or rules or hard time with change, I would assume she is normal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:39 pm

Corny wrote:
screen_name wrote:

Wearing a mask is just a figure of speech people use when they mean they are not acting themselves. Everyone wears a mask. Like when you go to work, you are expected to act a certain way like you can't tell a customer off about something and you are expected to keep a positive attitude and not show your annoyance at their stupidity. That's wearing a mask.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:52 pm

I would have to agree with the above posters.

She is trying to "follow the herd," and feels the need to conform to her peer group.

Probably, most "neurotypical" children do this sort of thing until adolescence--a time when conformity to peer standards continue, yet individual personalities reveal themselves more.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 5:36 pm

We seem to be guessing what people want, instead of just asking. Your imagination might be running wild, at all hours, when you are trying to do other things, wearing you down, when there could be some perfectly banal reason. Or, no matter how bad it is, it could be knowable, at least, and you could find closure.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 5:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would have to agree with the above posters.

She is trying to "follow the herd," and feels the need to conform to her peer group.

Probably, most "neurotypical" children do this sort of thing until adolescence--a time when conformity to peer standards continue, yet individual personalities reveal themselves more.

When special needs kids copy others, we call it mimicking. When normal children do it, we call it peer pressure.

CyborgSpaceKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2017, 7:16 pm

I'm guessing by 'mask' you mean not a literal mask, but a 'mask' in the sense that she becomes a social chameleon, which is very common for females on the autism spectrum. This tenancy to camouflage or cameleon is a way of not only fitting in, but because people on the spectrum jave trouble understanding human interaction, they tend to mirror what they see to appear more neurotypical, so as not to stand out among their peers.
I did this a lot growing up, personally.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 7:42 pm

This sort of thing is also common amongst non-autistic children in general. Boys and girls.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 7:47 pm

Ok, thanks. I think she copies people as a means to fit in, not because she has no idea what to do.

So--NT. Thanks!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 7:48 pm

All human beings have a social mask, which isn't a literal mask. It's just a name for people acting the way society wants them to act instead of being themselves. That's why, among many other reasons, I hate society. People are expected to smile and act all happy and positive when they're feeling completely dead inside.

Children are cruel. They see being different as the same as having some terrible contagious disease. My mother told me not long ago that a boy had gotten new sneakers that he really liked, but when he went to school all the other kids were little snot rags to him because they weren't a famous expensive brand like Nike, and when he got home he told his mom he never wanted to wear them again. When I was younger someone once told me they put a can of store-brand pop in her daughter's lunch for a treat, but at school kids told her it was "poverty pop" because it wasn't a name-brand like Coke.

You know, my parents really had it hard. THEY had to TEACH my brother and me right from wrong, and show us why it was better to do the right things! They knew if they didn't we would very likely pick wrong and be cruel, heartless little monsters.