Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 9:30 am

Is this common to be loud and yelling and not knowing that you are? Is this an autistic thing? Because this happens to me all the time.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 11:33 am

Apparently I talk "too loud" according to my mother. I once got a hold of some papers about me as a kid and when it asked about any unusual voice characteristics, I saw the word loud, written in all capitals. I moved out of my mom's several years ago but she still complains now and then. I told her I wanted surgery to "correct" my voice. My mom's always complained about my voice, if it wasn't "LOUD", it was too monotone or "flat". Or to shut up about the topic. Now I don't really enjoy talking to people and only speak to people in person if spoken too first and only to answer questions. And lately, it's like my words don't want to come out of my mouth. No one wants to believe me about this either. I quit my "job" at the vet's (they didn't have anything for me to do and I was feeling VERY unappreciated, they said I could come back if I changed my mind but that's not happening any time soon) so I don't really have to talk to anyone anymore.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 11:45 am

Corny wrote:
Is this common to be loud and yelling and not knowing that you are? Is this an autistic thing? Because this happens to me all the time.

Are you sure you are being loud or yelling? I only ask this because I sometimes get told I am shouting ( usually in a heated debate or argument ) when I know I'm not , I believe it to be a manipulative technique to put you off guard.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 12:40 pm

I'm the opposite. People have always commented on how quiet and softly spoken I am. Speaking up to a normal level (for others) sounds like I'm shouting (to me).

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 12:43 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Corny wrote:

Are you sure you are being loud or yelling? I only ask this because I sometimes get told I am shouting ( usually in a heated debate or argument ) when I know I'm not , I believe it to be a manipulative technique to put you off guard.

It's a mix of both. But there's also sometimes where I know that I'm being loud. But also a lot of the time. I can't tell.

Icantholdallthesefeels
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2017, 9:46 pm

I'm a mumbler. My group often says, in good jest "use your words". Which has become a little continued joke of ours. I can also laugh embarrassingly loud which just dents my confidence. A good fix idea could be trying having moderately loud music on in the background (so you all talk a bit louder).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 12:41 pm

It's fairly common with autism. Part of the poor self awareness thing.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 12:55 pm

I do it. But I found I tend to do it in two ways:

1) There's a lot going on around me, which I for some reason interpret as things being really loud and then I talk loud.

2) I'm anxious and then my chest muscles tighten. As a result, I really work hard on pulling air in and out, and this results in speaking loudly. I have this feeling I'm not getting enough air, and that my voice is really weak, when it isn't.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 3:32 pm

iliketrees wrote:
I'm the opposite. People have always commented on how quiet and softly spoken I am. Speaking up to a normal level (for others) sounds like I'm shouting (to me).

I get commented on that I am or too quiet and have to speak louder,
or when I really engage into a conversation that I am shouting(like when I feel excited).
But more often the quiet thing.
Really don't know how to modulate my voice, I am not very aware of it.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.