Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 7:26 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had been to Japan.
I read in Tony Attwood's book the complete aspergers, that some aspergers find a home in japan.

As they find that the Japanese simply see them as the same as other foreigners who are also bad a communicating
and different to the Japanese culture.

Also, because Japan is full of technology, as well as anime and some quirky cultural elements.
Some aspergers find Japan fascinating.
I myself am really into Judo and am interested in other martial arts such as Kudo Daido juku.
as well as the whole culture, spirituality, technology and minimalist design ethic.

Anyone have any experiences in Japan?...

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 7:32 pm

No I haven't, but I've been interested in Japan since I was 10 so I'd love to.

Unfortunately, Tokyo in particular is noted for its crowds. Not too good with those.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Auroras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

I have been to Tokyo a few times and even though I'm generally bad with crowds, I loved it. I am a city person so the feeling of being able to disappear into the mass of people was amazing to me. Smaller cities are probably better for people who hate crowds because it's hard to avoid them in Tokyo, at least if you go to the more popular areas like Shibuya or Akihabara.

The Japanese culture is quite reserved and people are mostly expected to keep their private matters to themselves (generalizing quite a bit but you get the meaning), so in that sense, it can be comfortable for an Aspie. Even as a female traveling solo, I didn't get harassed at all (although I've heard others have been so it depends). A big turn-off for many foreigners is that Japanese generally don't accept non-Japanese (or even non-Japanese looking) people as part of them, so to say, but it may not be as big of a deal to Aspies since some may already feel like not part of the community/crowd.

Japan is also incredibly clean and the public transport is top notch (although yes, the crowded trains are awful). And damn, is it beautiful.

(I realized how "know-it-all" this sounds lol, I don't claim to be an authority by any means! I've simply been quite invested in the culture for half my life, a lot of my friends have been too, so I've grabbed lots of information pieces along the way~)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 7:47 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
No I haven't, but I've been interested in Japan since I was 10 so I'd love to.

Unfortunately, Tokyo in particular is noted for its crowds. Not too good with those.

Sure. I am hypersensitive to noise and too many people.
Like any city, would likely do my head in.

I do read that Japan has certain rules of how to act though, which may make it easier.
I read that Japanese people, when walking around, do not stare or look at you in the face.
That would be at least something.

I am not sure as to how busy it would be. I have been to London and a number of crazy cities in India such as Dehli, which was super busy with people everywhere. I had to go to the chemist and buy some tranquilizers to help me cope. Just wonder if Japan would be the same. At least, Japan would be more ordered than Delhi.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 7:50 pm

Auroras wrote:
I have been to Tokyo a few times and even though I'm generally bad with crowds, I loved it. I am a city person so the feeling of being able to disappear into the mass of people was amazing to me. Smaller cities are probably better for people who hate crowds because it's hard to avoid them in Tokyo, at least if you go to the more popular areas like Shibuya or Akihabara.

The Japanese culture is quite reserved and people are mostly expected to keep their private matters to themselves (generalizing quite a bit but you get the meaning), so in that sense, it can be comfortable for an Aspie. Even as a female traveling solo, I didn't get harassed at all (although I've heard others have been so it depends). A big turn-off for many foreigners is that Japanese generally don't accept non-Japanese (or even non-Japanese looking) people as part of them, so to say, but it may not be as big of a deal to Aspies since some may already feel like not part of the community/crowd.

Japan is also incredibly clean and the public transport is top notch (although yes, the crowded trains are awful). And damn, is it beautiful.

(I realized how "know-it-all" this sounds lol, I don't claim to be an authority by any means! I've simply been quite invested in the culture for half my life, a lot of my friends have been too, so I've grabbed lots of information pieces along the way~)

thanks. and no, i dont see you as a know it all. i think that the reason why some people call others who explain things as know it alls, is because they are jealous and feel insecure because they think knowing less makes them inferior. I dont. i think we all have our own experiences and are good at different things.
Yes. Thanks for your help. interested.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 8:23 pm

I would love to see the cherry blossoms and visit Shinto shrines and Zen monasteries. :D I wonder if I would like living there?
I would also look for dragons and possibly Kami. :mrgreen:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:49 am

I've been, and really enjoyed the culture. The societal requirements are more ASD-friendly (lack of physical contact between those who don't know each other well, quite/reserved personality preferable, clear social rules - formality of speech necessary determined by the rank/age of the other person, specific customs for greeting people etc.) The technology is also interesting. :D

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:50 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had been to Japan.
I read in Tony Attwood's book the complete aspergers, that some aspergers find a home in japan.

As they find that the Japanese simply see them as the same as other foreigners who are also bad a communicating
and different to the Japanese culture.

Also, because Japan is full of technology, as well as anime and some quirky cultural elements.
Some aspergers find Japan fascinating.
I myself am really into Judo and am interested in other martial arts such as Kudo Daido juku.
as well as the whole culture, spirituality, technology and minimalist design ethic.

Anyone have any experiences in Japan?...

Is Tony Attwood renowned internationally? I thought he was just famous in Australia. :D

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

Not yet, but I hope to go to Japan one of these days. I've been fascinated by the country and its culture from a very young age.

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2016, 6:44 am

if japan's such a great place for autists and the like then explain the hikikomori epidemic?
i think they have strict standards for who you should be and what's expected of you in society.
not to mention i hear they are rather xenophobic when it comes to non-japanese. they have a long history of racism against other asian races in fact. i'm not sure about whites, but whites probably have an easier time than others at least.
the few japanese girls i've spoken to online have been worse experiences than with other asian girls too.
other than that, it's hella expensive.

i do like a lot of the things japan introduces to the world though and the country and cities are probably beautiful but i think some place like thailand would be higher on the list for me.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 6:58 am

I've been to Japan before. I was slightly disappointed, but I don't think there would be too much problems for at least foreign aspies.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 7:49 am

I haven't, but I'd like to go. I would like to go to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 8:06 am

I was in japan a few weeks before the tsunami in 2011

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2016, 4:31 pm

I am avoiding Japan due to fear of Godzilla.

Nyctalope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2017, 10:28 am

I am now, I agree to some extent since yes, here people probably blame my being a foreigner for my clumsiness but I feel judged way more than in my country both for my behaviour and for my looks.

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2017, 1:07 pm

I've been to Japan and LOVED it. I think anyone with bad English will just assume that uncomfortable communication is due to different native languages, but the Japanese are spectacularly bad at English so that may be why it's so easy for an aspie to find a home there. Everyone there is very polite and values privacy. It's a quiet culture with quiet people.