Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:09 am

Watch: This artist with autism draws intricate, panoramic cityscapes based on nothing but memory

Quote:
Memory is unreliable. It twists, distorts, reshapes. But perhaps not Stephen Wiltshire’s, which appears to have served him better than a camera would. The 47-year-old British artist sketches cityscapes based entirely on his memory.

His pencil flies over the canvas and his sketches are snapped up just as rapidly by clients for thousands of pounds. Wiltshire holds a PhD in drawing and printmaking from the City & Guilds of London Art School, and in 2006, he was awarded an Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) for his services to art. In the same year, he opened a permanent gallery at the Royal Opera Arcade in London.

Wiltshire was diagnosed with autism when he was only three-years-old. A perceptive teacher spotted his talent in sketching and that set him on a fantastic journey. Armed with his pens, and a handy helicopter, Wiltshire often flies over cities, taking in the details and reproducing them in great detail. The artist has travelled the world, but his favourite city? New York, with its Art Deco buildings and yellow taxicabs.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:13 am

Neurotypical: "I need to be autistic"