Doctor threw me a curve... Don't know what to do now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 5:15 pm

A good while back the doctor who'd been prescribing anti-depressants for me insisted I start seeing a therapist.

The psychologist I started seeing picked up on autism by the end of the second appointment (and was REALLY interested that I'd suspected it since I was in my 20s.)

Next appointment, told the doctor, and the doctor froze for a second and then slowly said "Good catch", adding "I knew something else was there besides depression."

I later saw on the computer screen something the doctor had entered... The words "probable Asperger's syndrome".

Next appointment with the psychologist, I related the above, and asked "Does that mean I have a preliminary diagnosis now?" He said "Yes".

Today I saw the doctor for my usual "several times a year" appointment, and while there asked why I hadn't seen anything about the autism in any of my records.

The doctor said there wasn't anything in there about that, tho' there was no denial about us having talked about autism. I mentioned having seen the notation on the screen, but that led nowhere. I was then encouraged to 'continue pursuing the matter' with someplace that could do a full diagnosis, if I wanted to.

It was like the "Probable Asperger's" thing had never been entered.

I'm totally at a loss now. The notation in the computer file has disappeared? I know I didn't dream it.

At tomorrow's appointment with the therapist/psychologist, we're going to have to talk about this.

What do you guys think? How could this have happened? What's going on?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 5:35 pm

Your psychologist could diagnose you, of course. But, he might recuse himself simply because diagnosing autism isn't something he has studied or practiced.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 11:48 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Your psychologist could diagnose you, of course. But, he might recuse himself simply because diagnosing autism isn't something he has studied or practiced.

I'm just totally messed up right now, tho', because for maybe two years now I've had a name to call this by, the name I suspected was right for a VERY long time. I was finally sure I was autistic.

Now, the notation from the doctor's own computer screen that gave me that support has VANISHED, and it's like it was never there. I KNOW what I saw.

Maybe after Wednesday's appointment with the therapist I'll have more to share here... :(

EDIT:
These are links to two post about this...
viewtopic.php?t=290159
viewtopic.php?t=291999

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2017, 4:33 am

Doctors can be confusing. I saw a number of psychologists back when my parents were trying to "figure out what was wrong with me" (their words) between the ages of 7-12. The main and final one said that I had symptoms of AS but he hated labeling people. One psych said that I was not "classic AS" because I was "creative and not logical." One just made me do lots of weird puzzles on the floor then said something to my parents who refused to tell me what they said. Trust your gut, doctors aren't always correct.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 11:06 pm

Cad wrote:
Doctors can be confusing. I saw a number of psychologists back when my parents were trying to "figure out what was wrong with me" (their words) between the ages of 7-12. The main and final one said that I had symptoms of AS but he hated labeling people. One psych said that I was not "classic AS" because I was "creative and not logical." One just made me do lots of weird puzzles on the floor then said something to my parents who refused to tell me what they said. Trust your gut, doctors aren't always correct.

Do you have an official diagnosis now, or do you even view yourself as being "on the spectrum"?