Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 10:51 pm

Have you guys noticed how much people tend to use correct punctuation, grammar, etc., on this board as compared to other online forums? Most places, I can hardly stand to read what people have written. It's just painful. But here, people actually take the time to compose thoughtful answers, and word and punctuate them appropriately. It's very refreshing. Aspie trait? I know that when I first started posting on message boards I was paranoid that I would sound stupid or childish, and I would proofread my posts obsessively. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 11:04 pm

I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to my keyboarding. I can't even leave a mistake long enough to wait for the spell check. My husband who is dx AS does the same thing. It is almost like a perseveration with the way the writing looks.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 11:11 pm

Maybe is an aspie trait. I read once that people with AS are very perfectionist with preference for quality above time or quantity.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 11:22 pm

I dub myself terrible at language and grammar because I've never learnt it correctly, and I'm never going to; I rely on my pretty punctuation to get my point across, I rely on it too much....

Old Sci-Fi (and mummy obviously) has taught me everything I know about English and its use in communication, for good or for bad; that's yet to be determined.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

23 May 2007, 11:28 pm

I've become a bit lax with proper spelling and punctuation over the past few years. I used to be downright militant about it, whereas now I'll even use a little netspeak in all seriousness. That said, one of the major reasons I've been lurking around here is how refreshing it is to read posts from the articulate and well-spoken members of this board.

willem
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 12:16 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Aspie trait?

Well, yes. Making a small change to something often changes it into an entirely different thing, usually a meaningless thing, because order is being randomized more often than replaced by a different order. It's like a wrong phone number has been dialed. There's no meaningful difference between dialing one digit wrong or all of them; either way you're going to get one of many equally random strangers on the line. This sentence is correct. This sentence is rubish. :D

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 12:45 am

not me...the only punctuation i ever use is......
I do know better though....it is just a habit I picked up from reading Celine....

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:19 am

I think it's just something that comes along with a decent intelligence. Most of us are aware of the fact that if you type like this nobody is going to bother reading the entire thing because it's so easy to get lost or lose the train of thought that you are trying to express and thus it is a wasted post and you might as well not be posting in the first place in fact if you type like this regularly it would probably be best if you avoided expressing your opinions whenever possible

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:31 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
not me...

I know you say otherwise, but you’re a really good (“intelligent”) speaker from viewing your video where you speak of your "ailments"; that easily makes up for your lack of punctuation when you type here; where you sound "intelligent" too.

(The talking tiger (willem) says what I think but was unable to communicate to others....)

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2007, 1:37 am

I try to have my grammar, spelling and punctuation be as accurate as possible... I even sometimes use the semicolon when I deem it necessary, something that most people forget unless if they're writing something very formal.

I can read writings with incorrect punctuation and grammar and comprehend them... but I absolutely can't understand things when there are spelling mistakes because I learn words by the way they look and not the way they sound.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:45 am

it's a bit more difficult for me, since i didn't speak english five years ago. i worry that i use too much of punctuation, though. but i do my best to be correct. i improved a lot after i've read few english books. although, as you can see i don't bother with capital letters.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2007, 1:55 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Most places, I can hardly stand to read what people have written. It's just painful. But here, people actually take the time to compose thoughtful answers, and word and punctuate them appropriately. It's very refreshing. Aspie trait?

That's part of why I like it here so much! I think it is an Aspie trait. This is the perfect medium for perfectionism; I can rewrite and edit endlessly, before and after posting. I (and my daughter) obsess and rework every little note as if our reputation depended on it, taking way too long, missing out on a lot of other things we could be doing...

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:59 am

One of my aspie traits is a trend towards perfection but lately I have relaxed a bit on this and used words or ways of writing that are not so formal.

I prefer to read a well written post with proper punctuation.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2007, 2:02 am

tomamil wrote:
although, as you can see i don't bother with capital letters.

one of my smartest friends doesn't bother with capital letters, and it's faster and easier. having to slow down & hold shift is a clunky old-fashioned method in an obsolete keyboard arrangement (see the Dvorjak keyboard for a better system.)

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 10:40 am

I received a message on MySpace from a teenaged girl who used netspeak. Honestly, I had to read it over a few times to decipher what she was trying to tell me. It seems there is way too much time and effort put into typing that way. Why not just spell correctly????

By the way, the word "cuz" is like nails on a chalkboard. It scared me to see a classmate put use that word in a paper she was going to turn in for a grade. :roll:

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 12:41 pm

Ay wot r u tryin 2 say ere. People use perfect grammer that will soon change. Believe me I'll be changing a few things.