Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:11 pm

It's not always because a person has "no intention of listening to the answer."

Most of the time, people give greetings like that when they are in a rush to get somewhere else. Yes, it's a social convention, something which is sort of "artificial."

But I do believe most people, on a simple level, want to know "how you are doing," or if "you're alright." They don't want a full dissertation as an answer--but they want a response which lasts a second or so.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:21 pm

This has been a problem for me too. I got to the age of about 35 before an NT person actually said to me (after I had actually told him I'm a bit unwell, have a bad knee, touch of depression. . . .) he said "You know. . . you don't have to actually tell me how you are literally. . . .you can just say 'fine, and you?' . . .It's not a real question." :oops:

Seriously, I was in my 30s when someone told me that and it was a revelation. I had all my life been treating that greeting like a real question and giving a real answer when people really didn't want one.

Ever since, I've been striving to just say "Fine, and you?" or "I'm good, how'r'you?"

It's like playing the game.

But I have never been able to stand all the "good mornings" for some reason. "Good morning" and the expectation of it back has for some reason always made me cringe. I don't know why.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:24 pm

I feel it's because you feel pressured to talk when you don't feel like talking.

That's been my experience with "how are yous?" I feel compelled to answer when I want to be in my own world.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

I really, really hate the British habit of "Alright?" and "You alright?" as a greeting. I never hear it as the intended equivalent of just "Hi there" which is (I think) what it's meant to be.

I ALWAYS hear it as a worried question, and I always think to myself "Why, do I look like there's something wrong?" I think I've even asked that out loud on occasion. I've spent a lot of time away from the UK so it just isn't in my set of expected stuff to hear or respond to.

It honestly sounds like a kind of "alert signal" like they're saying "Oh my GOD are you all right -- you look terrible, is something terribly wrong?"

Seriously, "you all right?" can't ever sound like anything but there seems to be a problem. I hate it. I don't know what to say to it.

WildernessPhil wrote:
In Britain it is more common for somebody to ask "Are you alright" as opposed to "How are you"
When asked if I am alright, I reply, "No, but thanks for asking" with a smile on my face.
It does drive me a bit mad when people ask you a question and have no intention of listening to the answer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:30 pm

A few people have used "are you alright" in the "new" sense in the US.

I still feel, like Birdie said, that they are concerned about me in some way--think I'm crazy.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:32 pm

Regarding "good morning" -- could be that, kraftie, yes.

Ugh, if Americans are now also saying "You alright?" I think it's time for me to go live in a cave in Nepal!

I can't stand it! (Me and Charlie Brown, lol.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 12:37 pm

I've heard it used in the "new" sense a few times. It's not that common here.

One expression from Australia that's become ubiquitous here: "no worries."

"No worries" didn't exist before Crocodile Dundee.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 1:07 pm

Oddly enough, I say "No worries" about equally as often as I say "no problem" -- I kind of use both of those. I think I did in fact initially pick it up from very once-in-a-while hearing an American say that! Although most of time in the US it's "No problem."

It probably is a lot to do with Crocodile Dundee as that was such a huge hit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 1:15 pm

I think "no worries" is replacing "no problem" because of the stigma attached to the word "problem" when it's used in social settings. It's very common, especially, amongst the Millennial generation.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 12:36 am

I had a therapist who began each session with this infernal question, she swiftly realized it was a cunning way to get me to unfurl my weekly batch of notes on what was cooking in my head, I can never answer such a dumb prompt with a useless stuffed doll of a response. ''How are you'' is a challenging inquiry, one cannot take this line lightly, do so at your peril! I don't ask how people are, if I want to search their soul I ask specific things until I find that they desire or do not desire to open up. 'How am I in what way?' is a decent response.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 1:41 am

I just reply "I'm okay." which is usually the case. What's even worse is "What's up?". I used to reply "the sky" to make them feel silly for asking such a stupid question, but then people thought I was trying to tease them or something, so now I just say "nothing much".